December 2013 Moms

High chairs

LO will be ready for cereal and baby food next month, I was wondering if any of you ladies have already bought a high chair or have one from previous babies. If so what brands or styles to you recommend?

Re: High chairs

• My son will be 2 months the beginning of March. We bought a graco, that has a recline in it which is what we use now until he gets better head/neck control. Absolutely love it!
  • Same here. FP space saver. A friend has the same one and loves it.
  • Loading the player...
  • My nephew has a space saver and it's great. We have a wooden Eddie Bauer one that my grandfather bought for us when I was pregnant with ds1. He had a metal plate put on with the inscription "This chair will hold my hopes and dreams" (I cried like a baby when I read that at my baby shower) Anyways, it is really good for when baby gets older but we had to feed ds1 in his bouncy seat until he could sit up straight better. I would go with a space saver!
  • I planned on just introducing it and seeing how he does. If we have to wait til 6 months that's fine also. I thought about getting this one from BRU. Since I plan on using it for my next LO
  • We have the Graco Blossom High chair from DS and still live it so we will be using it for DD too. It worked well to be able to seat multiple kids at once...
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• I'm thinking about getting the graco blossom. My LO is 4 months in a week. I'm probably not starting him on solids until 5 or 6 months. Be careful. Some babies just aren't ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Me and my brother were both started on cereal at 1 month because we weren't getting full enough. Our doctor recommends it at 4 months depending on the baby. I think it varies between the baby and the pediatrician. Like I said if K isn't ready for it come time atleast it's one less thing to buy as he gets bigger.
  • Yes she is. And I know about the no nutritional value we will be giving it with bottles. And only once a day in the beginning. I don't plan on strictly giving him cereal just once it twice to see how it goes in the beginning. I know every baby is different so it just varies in when they're ready.
  • We have a Graco space saver that straps into a chair. It leans back, sits up tall, and then the back comes off and makes into a booster seat. LO likes to sit in it now when I am in the kitchen cooking, cleaning, or sit with us at the table.
  • Honestly I haven't decided when I will do the switch, I'm actually quite nervous and anxious about the whole situation. But this post is or was about high chairs not when I'm switching my child over to cereal. My pedi wouldn't say to do something that would harm a baby. Every mother knows her baby better than anyone else. But thanks for the input. And thanks for the high chair recommendations.
  • Obviously his health is more important than a damn chair. Like I said I'm not even sure I'm starting him at 4 months, reading the site you posted I'll probably wait til 6 or 7 to switch him.
  • Naty657 said:

I planned on just introducing it and seeing how he does. If we have to wait til 6 months that's fine also. I thought about getting this one from BRU. Since I plan on using it for my next LO

Your next LO?? Didn't you just get rid if your loser cheating fiancé? Good god please say yes

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• Thank you ladies for making me feel like a terrible mom. All I wanted was high chair advice instead I get told how bad I am for even thinking about solids.
  • Yes I did get rid of him. But if I'm able to I want atleast one or two more babies further down the line. Like I'm not just using it then selling it.
  • We have the FP space saver. I love that You can use for years. Dd used the booster seat part until age 3.5/4.
    My Mom loves to ask about Solids. She thinks I'm wierd to wait but we waited until six months for DD and we will for DS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Naty657Naty657 member
    edited February 2014
    I did say that I read the website cash posted and that I won't be switching him until 6 or 7 months. And I agree education is never a bad thing.

Eta: words
  • sabriel1sabriel1 member
    edited February 2014
    Cashingn2 said:
    I've never heard of anyone giving a baby solid foods before 6 months in this day and age. I've never heard this even suggested by anyone under 50. OP, do some research, Cash posted a really great link.

ETA: To answer your question though we have two space saver highchairs - one "Bright Stars" brand and one "First Years" brand and I like them both though the bright stars one is more well made but the First years one is more compact.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• @KateMW said:
    4mo is really little...why do you want to start that early OP?

We use a Tripp Trapp for DD, she wants me to get the baby a matching one.
    Have you seen the new Stokke Steps? It's so pretty! Not sure how functional it is though, I'm afraid to get it.

https://www.stokke.com/en-us/highchairs/stokke-steps/stokke-steps-concept.aspx

• edited February 2014
    Good information on the links! We saw a LPN for DS1s 4mo appointment and she told us to start a rice cereal and I just assumed we'd do the same with DS2... after reading the links, I'll definiteky be bringing this up to our pedi!

OP- we have the Graco meal time high chair in the Roman pattern. I love it, the legs fold for easy storage ( we have a tiny kitchen, so I fold the legs and prop it against the back wall so its out of the way). It also washes really well!
    image image image

• MissyC979MissyC979 member
    edited February 2014
    We have the FP Healthy care booster seat. I like it because we can use it on our kitchen chairs, versus a bulky stand-alone highchair. It's also easy to take ti restaurants early on, when they're still too little for restaurant high chairs. (The ones at restaurants are huge for little ones, even when they can sit on their own.)

As for starting solids, we tried with DS1 around 5 1/2 months because he was showing signs if readiness. However, he had problems swallowing and just wasn't ready. We ended up stopping and reintroducing at around 7 months and things went way better. We also skipped cereal and went right to veggies. We'll wait again and probably also skip cereal this time too.

ETA: This chair is all plastic, so it's easy to clean. Also, I keep a towel under it to protect our chairs.

• My pedi recommended starting solids at 4 months with my first kid.
  • Cashingn2 said:

My pedi recommended starting solids at 4 months with my first kid.

Then you should read the article too. I find it funny that my OB, LC and pedi all recommended kellymom.com and even that site says the medical field isn't up to date on their advice about when to start solids.
    No offense to anyone here, I don't understand why some STMs just assume that 'oh it was fine with my first kid it's fine for this one'. The medical field changes so often and each child is different. My cousin let her 3 month old have the frosting off the cake at her baptism and wondered why she was sick after. A lot has changed between now as 6 years ago when her son was born, but she thinks since he turned out fine (which is debatable...) this kid will be too.
    Super guilty of this! Mine are a lot closer in age than your cousins kids, but I should still probably question more things.
    image image image

• We have this highchair. I love it. I have it set up in the kitchen now and I put my LO in it when I do dishes,cook or do homework with my older two. We don't have a bouncy seat so this serves its purpose in the kitchen. It has 3 heights and 4 recline positions so if she is sleeping it lays pretty flat and it works out pretty well for our family. I can see when she gets older and I am using this highchair for its intended purpose it will be nice because on the middle height adjustment and without the tray attached it fits right up to our table like a 5th chair and so LO won't have to be off in the corner eating alone, she can belly up to the table with the rest of us. 

• Haven't used it but we got the graco duodiner. Set it up to see what it's like and I like the fact that it grows with baby. It has three seat reclining positions and once LO no longer needs the high chair the seat detaches to connect to your dining room chair as a booster seat.

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • We fed our DS in his bumbo for a long time. We didn't put him in a high chair until he started eating finger/table food.
  • esf60 said:
    @KateMW said:
    4mo is really little...why do you want to start that early OP?

We use a Tripp Trapp for DD, she wants me to get the baby a matching one.
    Have you seen the new Stokke Steps? It's so pretty! Not sure how functional it is though, I'm afraid to get it.

https://www.stokke.com/en-us/highchairs/stokke-steps/stokke-steps-concept.aspx
    I like that, but you wouldn't get as much use out of that as a Tripp Trapp. I sit in ours when I'm at the computer. Love it!
  • My pedi recommended starting solids at 4 months with my first kid.
    How old is your first child? Mine is 9 and I was told I COULD start cereal at 4 mo. but she rec. 6mo. Of course, DD didn't like baby food, so she basically didn't eat anything until 11 mo. and it was eggs.
  • Yes I did get rid of him. But if I'm able to I want atleast one or two more babies further down the line. Like I'm not just using it then selling it.
    On a different note, something I learned after my first daughter while we were waiting for our additional kids is that I hated storing baby stuff. If I could do it all over again, I would buy cheaper or used items the first time around, sell on craigslist, and then buy them again for the next kid. Seriously, storing a highchair in our garage…along with all the other baby gear we accumulated…was not worth the effort to store it. particularly for short-lived things like swings and bouncers and high chairs. That said, we have the Graco Blossom three in one and I really loved everything about it.

We have the Graco Blossom as well and I also love it. DD1 still sits in the booster part at the kitchen table.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    edited February 2014
    We are going at get a space saver. I am using the one I leave at my moms for now bc I like him to sit at the table with us for dinner. Since the topic has included solid food talk I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. With my first I was told to start solids at 4 months and it lead to digestion and allergy issues. With my second I did what I felt was right instead. I skipped cereal and did a version of baby lead feeding. We did very little purée and started with very soft finger foods. She still got breast milk so it more about learning than nutrition. We also avoided all the issues my first daughter suffered with.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• Cashingn2 said:

Naty657 said:

Me and my brother were both started on cereal at 1 month because we weren't getting full enough. Our doctor recommends it at 4 months depending on the baby. I think it varies between the baby and the pediatrician. Like I said if K isn't ready for it come time atleast it's one less thing to buy as he gets bigger.

FFS, giving your baby cereal to fill them up is the most ignorant, annoying thing ever. If a baby is still hungry, feed the baby something that has nutritional value. 4 months is the absolute earliest but I would almost bet if you asked your pedi if 6 months was best, they'd agree....unless the pedi is old.
    Little but judgy? No? (Don't be mad at me. )
    imageimage

• We have a phil n teds lobster chair.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"