Natural Birth
Options

Food and water for a hospital birth

I just brought up the topic of natural birth with my OB and realized that it was a mistake to wait until 34 weeks to do so. (At this late point the birth center in my town has been booked up for months.) While the doctor paid lip-service to the idea of keeping it low-intervention, she is clearly very skeptical that it will all pan out. (Saying things like "Well it's your first time so you won't know what it's like until you get there"). I know that this is a red flag when feeling out your OB's stance on natural birth, but without the birth center for an option, I am reluctant to start shopping around for a new doc from scratch.

One of the topics I brought up is whether I would be allowed to birth without IV fluids. I am totally fine with a hep-lock/catheter in place and told her so. She said that yes, the catheter itself is mandatory, and that I would really want fluids because I am going to get dehydrated after laboring with no food or water (hospital policy). "So, if the labor goes longer than 3-4 hours, yeah, you're going to have to get fluids". I am planning on laboring as long as possible at home, but I see it as highly likely that the hospital portion of my labor will exceed her time limit.

Has anyone faced this kind of thing before? Did anybody just break hospital rules and drink or eat as they felt compelled? Would the IV be a deal breaker for anyone?

Re: Food and water for a hospital birth

• Options
    Honestly, I'd be pretty concerned based on her overall attitude and the policies she's giving you right now. She doesn't seem at all low intervention, even on the most basic things. And while an IV in and of itself wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, the whole picture you've painted here would be. Have you considered calling the birth center to ask if there are any OBs they could recommend (for example, their back up OB) and see if you could indeed switch providers.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, if that was me, I would go against their policy. The nurses are not with you 24/7. I would sneak food when they aren't around. If they pitch a fit I would tell them to write it in my chart that I am going against medical advice and be done with it. What are they going to do, wrestle a granola bar out of your hand? A long labor can be very difficult with no food. I can't believe there are still hospitals that follow this outdated policy.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My hospital strongly suggested a heplock, but also told me that it wasn't required.  Have you done a hospital tour?  I asked most of those questions during the tour.  I didn't even bother asking my OB.  My hospital's policy was that women in labor shouldn't eat or drink.  I didn't eat when I was there, but I did have some popsicles.  I brought my own snacks with me and I could've easily eaten them when the nurses weren't in the room, but I never did. 

I did, however, openly drink water in front of them.  No one said anything.  At first I was a bit sneaky about it because I would ask my husband to fill up a large cup with ice.  It melted fairly quickly, so I would just act like I was eating the ice but it was really water.  Towards the end I didn't care and I was drinking straight from his water bottle. 

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    To answer your questions, if I was in a hospital that discouraged eating/drinking, yes I would just do it when no one was looking.  As for whether an IV would be a deal breaker, I guess the answer for me would be 'yes it would'.  Not because I have a problem with IV fluids, but because of what it represents.  Where there's smoke there's generally fire.  If your doctor is not even willing to bend on the littlest of things, what's going to happen if something bigger comes up?  Her responses speak volumes.  She is operating on a 'one size fits none' approach to childbirth, which I would not be comfortable with.

I like pp idea about calling the birth center to see what they recommend as far as a different provider.  It is NOT too late to switch!  If you choose not to switch I would look into hiring a doula, she will be able to help to labor at home as long as possible, which will be very important if you deliver at this hospital.

But please, please remember you get the final say on everything!  Provided you are conscious you must consent to all medical procedures which includes IVs!  Don't let them play the 'hospital policy' game, wrong, it's your body your choice.  So for her to say a saline lock is mandatory is false information, they can not turn you away from the hospital nor can they force that on you. 
  • Options
    I 100% agree with PP.

My hospital's official "policy" was that you have IV fluids, you don't eat or drink, you be constantly monitored, etc. etc. etc.  I declined the fluids (just had to sign something saying so), declined the monitoring, and ate ice chips.  (I probably would have eaten more had I not arrived at 8cm.)

My point is that you really can say no.  I think the nurses play a big part in what "policies" get bent.  I asked for the nurse that was most experienced in natural birth, and she was wonderful.  She never mentioned pain meds.  She gave suggestions to DH to help with my pain.  She talked to me about random stuff to keep my mind off things.  So consider requesting a more NB friendly nurse when you check in. 

That being said, your OB does have some big red flags.  I personally don't think you need a crazy, granola eating, super pro-NB OB/MW to succeed at a NB in a hospital, but you do need one who is willing to support you as long as your choices aren't endangering your health or your LO's.  It kind of sounds like your OB is more concerned with following a preset timeline and set of procedures than going with the flow when it's safe.  That attitude IMO can lead to unwanted and unnecessary interventions.

GL in your decision!

image imageimageimage

• Options
    I also recommend trying to do as much of your labor at home. My birth coach has suggested that there's no need to go into the hospital until you're at the transition phase (7-10 diameters). It can be difficult to eat during that time anyway and if you've eaten something heavy or unfriendly to your tummy, that's the time you'll probably chuck it up.

That said, being at home for as long as possible allows YOU to have control over your labor...meaning you can eat, drink and do as you please without unnecessary check ups or interventions. 

The reason your doc probably doesn't want you to eat is to ensure you're good to go in case you need a C-section. Your doc doesn't seem to have YOUR desires in interest, so make sure that your hubby or whoever is going to the hospital with you is adamant about your birth plan. Have it written down, let him take care of dealing with the meanie hospital people and you do what your body needs.

Good luck!
    September Siggy Challenge: Singing in the Shower

• Options
    I would switch. It really is never too late. For your OB, yours will be one of thousands of births that she attends. For you, this is an epic, life-changing experience that is very important to you and your baby. It is easy to feel attached to your OB even if you disagree with her policies, but remember, she probably doesn't feel that same attachment to you, hard as it is to hear. You are one of many patients for her, and she is unlikely to change her beliefs or policies just for you. 

I would also definitely recommend hiring a doula. This is something that it is also never too late for. A doula can be a personal advocate for you, another person on your birth team who has your wishes as her first priority. It can sometimes be very difficult for a laboring mom and a dad to be able to stand up to hospital staff and doctors, but with a doula by your side, you will find you have more strength to make requests and say NO when you don't feel comfortable with something. 

Just remember, it is YOUR birth, and you have the right do decide how things go. Don't let doctors or nurses scare you into things. If you need extra time to think, just ask for it. Your body and your baby are designed for this. Your body knew how to grow this little miracle for 9 months, trust your body to get your baby out safely!

Best of luck!

• Options
    sschwege said:
    To answer your questions, if I was in a hospital that discouraged eating/drinking, yes I would just do it when no one was looking.  As for whether an IV would be a deal breaker, I guess the answer for me would be 'yes it would'.  Not because I have a problem with IV fluids, but because of what it represents.  Where there's smoke there's generally fire.  If your doctor is not even willing to bend on the littlest of things, what's going to happen if something bigger comes up?  Her responses speak volumes.  She is operating on a 'one size fits none' approach to childbirth, which I would not be comfortable with.

I like pp idea about calling the birth center to see what they recommend as far as a different provider.  It is NOT too late to switch!  If you choose not to switch I would look into hiring a doula, she will be able to help to labor at home as long as possible, which will be very important if you deliver at this hospital.

But please, please remember you get the final say on everything!  Provided you are conscious you must consent to all medical procedures which includes IVs!  Don't let them play the 'hospital policy' game, wrong, it's your body your choice.  So for her to say a saline lock is mandatory is false information, they can not turn you away from the hospital nor can they force that on you. 
    I completely agree with the bolded part! 

It doesn't sound like your OB is very NB friendly at all. If at all possible I would consider switching to a different OB. You do still have time. Ask around and see if you can find some recommendations from either friends, other midwifes or doulas. I would also think about hiring a doula.

You may decide to stay with her. I stayed with my first OB for several reasons. One being that all the Ob’s are on call at the hospital and most likely she was not going to be on call that day anyway. If you do stay, be prepared to receive some resistance when declining the IV or any other other standard "hospital policies". Just because it is a hospital policy does not mean you have to agree to it. You as patient have the right to informed consent. 

My first hospital had a no eating or drinking policy, and I ignored it for DD1's birth. I drank lots of water and had a few honey sticks. The nurse saw me and never said a thing. When I was in the early stages of labor and still at home, I ate a little bit of cheese, crackers and yogurt. By the time I hit transition though, food sounded horrible as I felt very nauseated. 

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    My OB had a no food/drink policy and a Hep lock policy. I showed up in transition as I labored at home for a long time. The nurse asked to put the Hep lock in and I told her no. I was dealing with contractions and getting tired. Plus I wanted to get back in the tub ASAP. The nurse never argued with me. I also ate and drank as I pleased. My nurse never said anything as she was in and out of the room. She was a natural birth friendly nurse (my doula had worked with her before with patients) so she was very low key. The OB on call OB came in when it was time to push (about an hour and a half after I check in) and never commented on my lack of Hep lock.
  • Options
    BerryBaguetteBerryBaguette member
    edited February 2014

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

Natalie, that's a great idea about getting recommendations from the birth center for OB's. I'll definitely check it out.

And MargaritaChikita, I appreciate the perspective that my birth experience means so much more to me than it does to her. I really do like my OB and have, up until the last visit, felt very comfortable with her skills. But I shouldn't feel obligated to stay with her if she isn't going to be onboard.

My next appointment is in a week. In the meantime, I'll try to pick their brains at the birthing center and also put down a birth plan in writing to get some direct answers from the current OB.

Thanks for the support, ladies! 

:x
  • Options
    I would definitely try and switch providers based on that conversation! Are there any midwives that work out of that hospital even if you can't get into the birth center?
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with a heplock - had one both times as I was GBS+ - and I'd also have no problem eating and drinking as I pleased regardless of policy.

But I agree that it's never too late to change providers and that you are right that she doesn't sound supportive at all of your choices.
  • Options
    My friend's partner ate in the room while she was in labor and some how the crumbs from his food ended up on her sheets.  Weird how stuff like that happens.   ;)
  • Options

I can't believe so many hospitals still have a no eat/drink policy.  The hospital where I delivered my 2 boys encouraged me to drink water.  I had no desire to eat, but my labors were pretty short.

I'm delivering at a birth center inside a different hospital this time (as long as I continue low risk), and they actually encourage you to eat and drink as needed.

I agree about talking to the hospital directly about these things.  I never even brought it up to my OB, I asked at the hospital tour.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"