December 2012 Moms
Options

No way that I can, right?

My sister has decided that she's going to "live vicariously through me" since she doesn't have any children.  While I think that that's extremely weird to tell someone, I also know that's how my sister is.  Well, part of that is that she has decided that its "her responsibility" to buy clothes and toys for DD.  At first, I thought it would be sweet, but she's gotten a little out of control.  This week alone, we've had a Fisher Price Puppy, several books, and several outfits show up at the house.  Apparently, she has discovered Zulily and Groupon, and can get even more.  I know that it's a first world problem, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by it.  Plus, while DD doesn't understand yet, I don't want her to grow up being this spoiled.  I thought about just turning around and donating it, but my sister's the type that will get all bent out of shape if I can't reproduce it when she visits.  (I've done that with a few things that she's bought me, and she always ends up bitter.)  There's no nice way that I can tell her that it's too much, right? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: No way that I can, right?

• Options
    Maybe tell her that you appreciate it, but suggest that she only gets her something for special occasions, like birthdays and holidays?  At least that would be cutting it back some.  I don't know if there is a nice way to do it, but that does seem excessive.  It certainly is a first world problem, but it would annoy me too.  Good luck : )
  • Options
    First off I'm jealous. We end up buying most things ourselves. Second I would talk to her. It would definitely be hurt if I bought something for someone and they just turned around and donated it right away. Can share your concerns and mention putting money in her college fund instead?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the idea of her putting money in an account for your DD.  Then she can put however much in she wants and isn't filling your house with more stuff!  

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Options

Does she want to live vicariously through some 3 am awakenings and rough diaper changes, too? /:)

Sadly, no. And that's part of what frustrates me. She's only seen DD three times since she was born (once when she was itty bitty, our wedding, and at Christmas). In fairness, we do live about two hours from my family, but still.

imageimage

• Options
    I like the idea of a savings/college account for her. I've been meaning to do that for her birthday money. Maybe that'll be a thing.

imageimage

• Options
    Honestly, my Aunt is the same way. We have so much clothes, Build a Bears, toys, ect. It's been this way since I was pregnant. She just likes to help us out and she loves children. I think it's great and I don't have the heart to stop her. She has changed slightly though. Now she does more things like buying a picture package for us, takes me shopping with her for clothes, and goes to outings with us. It's nice to have a family member be so involved with my kids and it's sweet that she likes to do these things.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"