Parenting

Pregnancies: planned or unplanned?

Were your pregnancies planned or unplanned? Both of mine were very much planned. I am a super type A control freak.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Pregnancies: planned or unplanned?

• I have had 2 pregnancies: one that resulted in loss at 6 weeks along and one with DD, now four. Both were very much planned and wanted.
  • Planned
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Loading the player...
  • DS-planned
    DD-pleasant surprise

• Oops, I did not mean to be rude. I always ask all of my obnoxious questions here on TB, that I would not ask in real life. :-) I have an IUD and no longer get AF. I POAS from time to time to make sure I am not KU. Just been dreaming, I guess, about what it would be like if I found out I was, in fact pregnant. No harm or offense intended.
  • MrsButt said:
    I can't imagine asking anyone that question IRL. It seems so rude. They want to tell me, sure, but to ask? Hell, no.

Totally agree.
  • I agree with @MrsButt. That takes some serious balls to ask!
  • A friend asked me if Dd was planned. I was like uhhhh, yeeeeaaahhh. ??? WHY are you asking that?

2 pregnancies, both planned
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • mbenit4 said:

I didn't find it rude. I could have opted to not answer if I did.

Same. I didn't think it was too bad. The "too type A to be unplanned" kinda irked me though.

DS was unplanned, though I was taking BCP shipped into a Caribbean island on a container ship so it was likely heat damaged. I should have known it likely wasn't working right.

This LO was planned.

image image
  • I can find it rude but still opt to answer. I guess I just found her qualifier obnoxious. She's so Type A that an unplanned pregnancy isn't in her realm? Pfft.
    I have several friends that "don't TRY, but don't prevent".... Which is just a different approach for me. I used ovulation kits, charted, etc, so I feel it was "actively trying" as opposed to just "letting it happen". Again, I did not mean to offend.
  • Rosie was unplanned, thank you mini pill. I then had a "surprise" pregnancy. We NTNP, but we weren't thinking about having babies. So it came as a surprise when I got a positive 6 months into it. Cade was completely 100% planned.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • One planned & one surprise.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Planned.

I think the problem with this question IRL is that it usually comes with a lot of judgement...at least in my experience.

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12
  • Both were planned. I have PCOS DS took 2 years and with DD it was taking so long (4yr) the doc said to forget about it because it wasn't gonna happen. When it did happen we were like "no f'ing way!" But in a good way.

I've also had lots of people ask me this, I just don't get why.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Anyway... The first was very much planned and we are actively TTC right now so this second one is also planned. 

Same as this.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• 6 planned, 1 unplanned

I never ask any family planning questions in real life because you never know someone's situation.  But I don't see why it's a big deal on a message board. No one is being put on the spot.

The type A thing was a bit weird because type A can't prevent bc failure. My most type A friend had an unplanned baby.
    A: 3.07
    G: 6.10
    L: 11.13

• 2 planned, 1 unplanned. Surprisingly my 1st was planned at 19 years old.
  • Mine was planned in a way. We had the discussion of trying the next cycle decided to throw caution to the wind one time and I got pregnant.

We were asked a lot if she was planned by family and friends. It always bothered us, but we figured it was because we weren't married and he used to say he didn't want children.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Dd and this one were planned. But it took a while for both of them. Over the last year I have had so many people, mostly family, ask if we would have more. I started just telling people we dont get pregnant easily. That usually stops the questions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think our problem with the question was that it usually followed the automatic assumption that she wasn't planned. It was mostly "so were you surprised?"

Me: "not really"
    "Oh she was planned?"

• Both were planned.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • My first son wasn't planned but we weren't using protection. I had been told a few years ago that I couldn't get pregnant without assistance. So we were open to a pregnancy but not expecting it to happen.

My current pregnancy was 100% unplanned and prevented, but clearly life has other plans for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First time we definitely were planning/trying . Sadly it resulted in a loss.

4 months later we were "not trying, not preventing." I remeber saying to H that we should stop trying for a bit and wait. 2 weeks later BFP. 《and it was wonderful!》

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
    — The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

• First was a shock I was switching BC pills and the condom failed. This one was very planned

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Ours was planned and we were lucky enough that the plan worked the first time. I do get why some people think its a rude question though.

We got engaged after 7 months, with a 5 month engagement, and got pregnant 3 months after we were married. Apparently some of my friends and family are awful at math and think it was all 'a mistake'. It's annoying enough that people assume we only got married because we were pregnant by accident and that's not even the case here. I can't imagine how pissed off I'd be about some of the comments I've heard if that were actually the case.
  • Ds was planned.. next one is being planned also just gotta pick when we will start ttc
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • LaurelBeeLaurelBee member
    edited February 2014
    I don't like to be told to unclench. Family planning questions are personal. It can be perceived as rude when a certain someone asks about it IRL and I'm allowed to be annoyed when someone oversteps a line. Eta I'm talking about people IRL. I'm not annoyed at the OPs question.

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • All 3 of mine were planned.  I would have loved a surprise 3rd baby back when we were still debating on having a third.  I am terrified at the thought of having a surprise 4th, so DH just got a vasectomy.  

• We had one, oops honeymoon baby. And one planned.
  • Unplanned. BC failure. But very much wanted. My biggest fear in life was not being able to have children.

The question doesn't offend me. There are a lot weirder questions asked on TB. If it was someone I didn't know well IRL it would be weird. But most people know he was unplanned because we were only dating four months. When I got pg.

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 

• I don't think it's a big deal on TB or IRL. I just hate questions about more babies. Now that's rude.

Really depends on how it is worded. I have yet to have someone try to push us when we state we are done with one. 

No one has done that yet, but they find passive aggressive ways to ask. So annoying.

Have you ever considered maybe you are the issue, not them? It seems like everyone you know is a jerk and hates you.

We get asked all the time when we are having a second one. When we say we're not we've been told it's selfish of us to not have another one, told that we must be lying. I had a friend look at me and ask how I could never want to have another one as if I was less woman than her.

It's rude because while we.are perfectly fine being 1and done. It's mostly financial reasons we aren't having one and it bothers me when someone calls it selfish I want my kid to eat instead of give her a sibling.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"