Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

weening off formula at night

my son is almost 8 months old. he still wakes once a night for a little formula. hes eating finger food during the day now and hes I've got him weened down to only 4oz once a night. but I can't get him to get through the night with less. do you have any advice that worked for you to get them off that last little bit?

Re: weening off formula at night

• Options
    jtmomma13jtmomma13 member
    edited February 2014
    We feed on demand so if LO is waking up because he is hungry- we feed him. You can try other soothing techniques like a pacifier or rocking if you are unsure if your LO is actually hungry. But I wouldn't ever cut out a bottle- if your LO is waking to eat then your LO needs the calories. 

Edit: Also I've found that increasing his "bedtime" bottle doesn't actually make my LO sleep through the night. Babies will sleep through the night when they are developmentally ready and I don't think that there is any magic weight or age. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe I'm not understanding but are you only giving "real" food during the day and not a before bed bottle? (Or is the 4oz his before bed?)  With my older children we worked it down to just one bottle a day and it was right before bed (an 8 oz). We continued this until they were around one and could give them cows milk. What liquids is he drinking during the day? If he's thirsty you should feed but perhaps switching when you give the bottle will help you too. Does he want more than 4 oz?
  • Options
    Feed him? It's normal to need a night feed through 9 mo or later. If he wakes to eat, can't be soothed or satisfied w a paci or rocking, and goes right back down, he is hungry! Some people have luck trying to get more food during waking hours but all that seemed to do w my kids was encourage them to eat beyond what they really wanted.

Also, sorry, but an 8 mo old should be having way more than 8 oz of formula or breast milk in a day. Hoping I misunderstood PP...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I hope you don't mean he is only getting 4oz a day. Formula isn't just for newborns you know.

Feed your baby and stop acting like he's an inconvenience

• Options

Just wait it out. Feed him if he's hungry.

Yup-- until he's a year formula should be his main nutrition. If he is hungry at night then feed him.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Nesbitt11 said:

I've got him weened down to only 4oz once a night. but I can't get him to get through the night with less. do you have any advice that worked for you to get them off that last little bit?

WTAF? Feed your child. God damn man. X(

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"