September 2014 Moms

HELLP

Hi everyone!
I'm 10 weeks pregnant with my second. My son was born in May 2011 and I had to have an emergency c-section at 32 weeks due to HELLP syndrome and severe pre-eclampsia. My doctor has told me that there is a 50% chance this will happen again in this pregnancy.
Anyone out there had HELLP?

Here is a link if you want to find out more info. It's pretty rare but very scary and it wasn't in any of my books - took 4 doctors to figure it out :(

https://www.preeclampsia.org/health-information/hellp-syndrome

Re: HELLP

• Me! I Delivered my DS at 35 weeks in Oct 2012 after developing severe pre-e with HELLP. Was told 40% chance of it happening again. However four positive thoughts... 

1. Less likely to happen if child has same father. 
    2. If it were to happen again, it usually happens later than it did in first pregnancy 
    3. The longer the time between pregnancies the better (ideally they want 2 years---my DS is only 15 months so this is questionable for me) 
    4. BC of history, will be very closely monitored this time so hopefully won't get to the "severe" part

My high risk OB (I'm already high risk bc of age and my pre existing heart condition, but now also bc of pre-e and HELLP) sent me for baseline 24 hour urine and kidney/liver function. They will closely monitor throughout pregnancy.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had both severe pre-e and HELLP with my first. They didn't catch it until 39 weeks (although I'm pretty sure it had started a several weeks earlier) but luckily I was induced the next day and had a fast labor with no other complications.
    My doc also mentioned the 40% chance of developing it again. I was almost considering being one and done with my daughter because I was so sick last time, but this one was little surprise and my OB said that I would be much more closely monitored this time around. So just keeping my fingers crossed that we won't be in the 40% this time.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies - nice to knowi'n not alone in this :)
  • Sorry, I'm completely horrible with getting on the bump lately. I had Pre-E with HELLP syndrome with my twins. I delivered at 34+4 via emergency c/s. I'm pretty sure I started to develop it a couple weeks before but of course I know that now because of now knowing what the signs were. I talked to my GP about it and she said it's less likely to happen again because it's typically a 1st pregnancy thing but if it does, it will develop later. I was also told I will be automatically HR and be monitored closer this time around. I have my 2nd OB apt on the 27th so I will probably talk to my OB about it a little more. I'm not seeing a HR OB but if he doesn't see anything wrong with just acting like its a normal pregnancy I might seek a HR OB instead. Anyways, at least this time, I will know what to look for too so I can get help sooner.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"