Dads & Dads-to-be

Travel Time, Anyone?

Today it is 3 degrees with a windchill of -25.  During the course of the day it will warm up to near 20, which will bring strong winds and snow.  So tonight I get to share the road with a bunch of lunatics in near white-out conditions.  Got me thinking about the escape my family will be making in a few weeks to South Florida.  It will only be five days, but it will be amazing to feel the sun, walk around in shorts and a wife-beater, and swim in the pool and ocean.

I am not looking forward to the plane this time though.  My son is now begining to test, and I have a feeling he is not going sit calmly on our laps and fall asleep.  We already have the tickets, and now I regret not getting him his own seat so we can strap him into his carseat.  I plan on a heavy dose of netflix to offer him a distraction, but the flight is 3.25 hours long, so we are assured a meltdown of some sort.  The things that distracted him as an infant are not going to fly as a toddler, so we will be that family pissing everyone else off I guess.

I plan on golfing and doing a lot of swimming with my son.  I am also going to get a kite and fly that with him down at the beach.

Anyone got any spring break/getaway trips planned in the next month or two??

Re: Travel Time, Anyone?

• Kalahari Indoor waterpark in Ohio for my birthday.  The in laws are going to watch the little guy for the night.  I am looking forward to tropical drinks in their swim up bar/hot tub.

• We are also heading to south Florida about the time you are.  But I don't want to hear your complaining about a 3.25 hour flight.  We'll have over 6 hours in the air and one of those legs is 4.5.  I wouldn't worry about pissing other people off.  As long as you are making reasonable attempts of calming him down it's fine. 

• Loading the player...
  • @futant462

Something tells me that you will be taking a road trip to Kansas City in the near future.  This thing is one of the most insane things I have ever seen.

https://roadtrippers.kinja.com/new-video-footage-of-worlds-tallest-waterslide-is-abso-1506535175/@barrett

• @futant462

Something tells me that you will be taking a road trip to Kansas City in the near future.  This thing is one of the most insane things I have ever seen.

https://roadtrippers.kinja.com/new-video-footage-of-worlds-tallest-waterslide-is-abso-1506535175/@barrett

I drove by that the other day. It's a monster. now I feel I should probably do it since I live so close. I'll give a full report if it happens this summer.
  • Oh, and I'm staying home, I guess my invitation to Florida got lost in the mail.
  • I won't tell you how warm it has been this week here in Southern California.

I misread this thread title as "Time Travel, Anyone?" at first.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • LuckyDad said:
    I won't tell you how warm it has been this week here in Southern California.

I misread this thread title as "Time Travel, Anyone?" at first.
    My dad lives in Monterey, so I have a general idea that you are probalby 10 degrees warmer than he is up there.

• RatpastaRatpasta member
    edited January 2014

Today it is 3 degrees with a windchill of -25.  During the course of the day it will warm up to near 20, which will bring strong winds and snow.  So tonight I get to share the road with a bunch of lunatics in near white-out conditions. 

jesus..... if I had to deal with what Im dealing with but 80 degrees colder, Im not sure I could hack!  I can completely understand wanting to get the hell out for awhile if for anything else just to defrost!

• Ratpasta said:

Today it is 3 degrees with a windchill of -25.  During the course of the day it will warm up to near 20, which will bring strong winds and snow.  So tonight I get to share the road with a bunch of lunatics in near white-out conditions. 

jesus..... if I had to deal with what Im dealing with but 80 degrees colder, Im not sure I could hack!  I can completely understand wanting to get the hell out for awhile if for anything else just to defrost!

It is soul crushing.  Even my boy is starting to act out because of it.  I don't think they have played outside at his school more than 3 days this month.  When we landed in Ft. Lauderdale he is going to lose it.

We bought a light therapy lamp for the house to combat the depression that can set in during a long winter.  What a fucking waste of money!!!!

edited January 2014
    Ratpasta said:

It is soul crushing.  Even my boy is starting to act out because of it.  I don't think they have played outside at his school more than 3 days this month.  When we landed in Ft. Lauderdale he is going to lose it.

We bought a light therapy lamp for the house to combat the depression that can set in during a long winter.  What a fucking waste of money!!!!

thats when I would think having a huge project would be awesome.  Do you guys have a garage?  Build a hot rod together or something.... Triumph Scrambler..... or RC cars, Modeling perhaps?

I wouldn't be able to hack - riding a motorcycle 360 days a year has kept me sane this long....
  • The boy is not quite there yet.  But even in our garage it barely gets up to 25 degrees.

edited January 2014
    The boy is not quite there yet.  But even in our garage it barely gets up to 25 degrees.

Shirt sleeves!

:))

how old is he?  is he into that kind of thing?   You might be able to get him interested if he got his hands on it.  Get a space heater and something to tinker with. 
       when I was a kid I LOVED workin with my grandpa in the garage...... maybe its because my dad wasnt into it but it was like our hideaway.
        jeez I miss my grandpa..... he was a really cool guy
  • He is only 17 months old.  We are a few years away from that.

• He is only 17 months old.  We are a few years away from that.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh - Im starting to understand the scope of things now....

heh

Ive already had my son with me in the garage in the swing - he's only 3 months but the sooner he gets to breathing in the smell of tires, oil and race gas the better!
  • My sister living in Containment Area for Relocated Yankees (Cary) North Carolina.  She wants us to visit, but neither my wife or I like to do long drives and it would be a lot cheaper and quicker to drive than fly.  It is roughly a 8 hour drive from here especially since we live right on I-77.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We aren't going anywhere until June, when we make another 11 hour trek to Arkansas to visit a cousin on my wife's side.  This time next year however, we will be at Walt Disney World... driving.  2 days each way, 9 hours one day, 7 the next.
  • With the twins coming within 4 to 6 weeks we have no vacation coming up anytime soon.... It's been freezing here in CT and there's not much end in sight.
    Maybe at the end of the summer we will put together a small trip or go to SC to visit my parents for Xmas.
  • @polooo27

That settles it.  I'm hanging out with you this summer.  Booze, BBQ, and the world's tallest water slide.  

• I am back in the office today after a week in South Florida.  The weather was perfect, the day drinking was awesome, and Nana and Grandpa spoiled the child.  Something about going on vacation with the kids really makes it so special. especially when escaping from the hellish winter we have been having.

I really have a great son!!  He went right into the pool, no fear at all.  I even carried him into the deeper end so he could feel the weightlessness of being in the water.  He loved it.  Thought I would let him share the warm weather with all of you.

• It got up to around 60 here the past couple days. We played outside a lot on Monday when I had the day off for President's day. I'm not jealous, well, maybe just a little.
  • At least mother nature was kind enough to dump six inches on MiIwaukee the day before we left Pompano, so I did not have to clean that mess up.

It will hit 40 here today, so that is bareable.  Next Monday...teens.  It was in the high 70's the whole time we were down there.  Out of the three of us, the boy is the one who is not liking being back home.  Takes after his old man.

• One more with daddy and the boy getting some pool time in.

• I've always enjoyed coming back home after about a week of vacation. We have about 40 for highs and 20 for lows right now, not bad. Last couple days were just a tease. I'm guessing we'll have a few more nasty days to get through before spring is here for good. We're going to make it though. I was afraid my car wasn't going to make it through the winter, but it looks like it has.
  • polooo27 said:
    I've always enjoyed coming back home after about a week of vacation. We have about 40 for highs and 20 for lows right now, not bad. Last couple days were just a tease. I'm guessing we'll have a few more nasty days to get through before spring is here for good. We're going to make it though. I was afraid my car wasn't going to make it through the winter, but it looks like it has.

Yeah, my car should make it through too.  After a blown serpintine belt, pulley, track bar and a new pair of tires.

Note the brewer logo as my avatar. Spring Training is open, so we are close to the end!  The six inches that blew through here Monday was a classic spring pattern system.  We are getting close!!

• I do have something wrong with my antifreeze. It keeps disappearing. I took it to the mechanic once. He didn't see an obvious leak and it seemed fine for a couple weeks, but it started again. I need tires, and eventually new rear rotors. And I'm sure a clutch one of these days. I'm at 170k on the original.

I'm just happy that creepy guy isn't starring at me anymore doing whatever it is with his hand.

• Dude, that was bill murray as the groundskeeper in Caddyshack.  He was moving a ball washer up and down while perving on a foresome of ladies in a tee box.  One of his best roles ever.

• I bet those ladies were creeped out too.
  • Forgot, I got rear rotors done this winter too.

Shit, I spent a lot of money on my car this winter!!

• I don't see how y'all live and function where it's cold. I'm in GA where we have had 2 crippling ice storms this month and it was 70° a week later.

Awesome pool pics! Looks like he was having a great time.
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Pics look great. Took my son in the pool last week, it's been 75 in SoCal for most of the winter, and he wasn't happy. Guess I have to get him in the water more often. We're actually heading to NYC and St. Louis to visit family for our Spring Break. Some folks will meet my son for the first time and since we have two more coming this will probably be the last home trip for a while. Traveling with one from LA to NYC and then to St. Louis is going to be rough. Couldn't imagine doing it with 3.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Who said anything about functioning?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"