TTC after 35

DHEA & CoQ10

Anyone taking these?  My RE wants me to start taking them and I'm just curious if any one has any real life experiences they can share. 

**** siggy warning - bfp & loss ****   ---- All Welcome ---

Me: 44 - Hashimoto's (under control), DH: 38 - (minor issues)

IUIs: 2 in 2012 ... Both BFN
IVF #1: 10/16/13 ... BFP, however it was not viable and ended in an early loss at 7weeks.

IVF #2: Feb '14 ... Cancelled. Positive beta at baseline appt, became very early loss.
IVF #2: Apr '
14 ... Retrieval Only. 2 embryos made it to day 3 freeze & will be batched with IVF #3 for PGD testing.
IVF #3: June '14
Retrieval Only. 4 embryos growing, all arrested before day 5. Two from April thawed, but also arrested.
Currently benched while determining how to proceed.

"Keep going until you can't fail"

image   image

image  image

Re: DHEA & CoQ10

• I have taken coq10 along with my prenatals for years.. my RE told me to keep taking it.

RE put me on DHEA before my last IVF.  Was my worst cycle ( cancelled) yet but I don't think it had anything to do with the DHEA.  I didn't really have any side effects just a bad after taste.  I was only on it for a little over 2 months and I have read it really takes 3 months for it to be effective.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• *** Ticker/Siggy Warning ***

I took DHEA for a couple of months in anticipation of our scheduled IVF cycle and ended up with a surprise BFP on our last cycle trying on our own (felt like winning the lottery). I also started fertility yoga and acupuncture at the same time, so I'm not sure if it was just the DHEA or the combination, or just dumb luck.

I did have one of the potential bad side effects from DHEA - heart palpitations. I cut back from 75mg to 50mg a day and was fine with the lower dose. I did a ton of research before taking it and there is a lot of promising research showing an apparent improvement in egg quality. I also saw one study that compared the 50mg dosage v. 75Mg and found that most people still saw an improvement with the lower dose. So if you do have any issues with side effects at the traditional 75mg a day, it's worth trying a lower dose before abandoning it completely.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I take 600mg of Co-Q10 currently. I am not seeing an RE, and I have heard DHEA should be monitored (testosterone levels) so I am not taking it for now.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

•  Hmmm, interesting @PrivateOne . I had asked about this at my initial visit  and he told me no, but I'm going tomorrow for the results of the testing and for the game plan-I'm going to ask again, you've got my curiosity peeked!
  • Lurking here but I was on DHEA for 3 months because it takes that long to work. My labs were monitored and I took coq10 as well. I did get my BFP that way.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!  Should I be concerned that my RE or nurse didn't mention monitoring while on DHEA?

2ndGeneration - I wonder why he said no.  I'll be curious to hear the answer. 

IVF #1: 10/16/13 ... BFP, however it was not viable and ended in an early loss at 7weeks.

IVF #2: Feb '14 ... Cancelled. Positive beta at baseline appt, became very early loss.
    14 ... Retrieval Only. 2 embryos made it to day 3 freeze & will be batched with IVF #3 for PGD testing.
    Retrieval Only. 4 embryos growing, all arrested before day 5. Two from April thawed, but also arrested.

image   image

image  image

• I think I would definitely ask them about why they aren't monitoring you.  They checked my levels prior to me starting and then 2 weeks into treatment they rechecked them.   I would assume that an RE may say 'NO' depending on the reason of the fertility issue.  My AMH level was poor so they said it would help.  I guess if someone has other reasons for not getting pregnant then DHEA wouldn't help.   The DHEA they gave me was filled at a special pharmacy that created it based on my lab levels.  I didn't buy it over the counter.  They also had me on a pretty high dose of CoQ10.  I'm thinking it was about 800.  I also did acupuncture, which I think can help too. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm taking coq10 but was wondering how much your re said to take? I haven't tried dhea...
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • They are coming from the "special" pharmacy and the doc is writing a prescription them. I do know that the amounts are 75mg of DHEA daily and 200mg of CoQ10 daily .  I suppose I should give a call in to the office and see about the monitoring aspect. 

Anyone familiar with those types of dosages?

image   image

image  image

• too much DHEA can really mess up your hormones... so yes you need to be monitored.  My natural levels were in the normal but low range so I only took a small dose (50mcg) and was checked 2 weeks later to make sure.  My Thyroid didn't like it for sure... my TSH went up.

Don't take DHEA unless a doctor tells you too.... it is not a miracle pill. It can help quality according to some studies on older women or those who have DOR.  Their IVF success rates were higher.  If I can find the study I will link it for you.  Some RE's do not buy into the DHEA data.  Mine said it coudn't hurt in my case.  Def worth asking about though! 
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My insurance didn't cover it. I believe it was about $65 for a 3 month supply.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I take 100mg coq10 daily..
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • @PrivateOne , well today he said, you could try them-he said they can't hurt and might help. The paper he gave me was not a scrip but an ad for an OTC company that makes them. He didn't say anything about monitoring...I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I wouldn't start till AF comes anyways. I saw other brands of these supplements at Walmart today too.
  • I saw them at Walmart, Spring Valley brand I think it was. the RE mentioned also that GNC carries them.
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    edited February 2014
    Hi! I'm a lurker and wanted to write as I've been taking "micronized" DHEA 75mg/day for three years. Like PPs have mentioned, it is thought to help egg quality in older women. After all the standard tests, I don't have any specific fertility issues other than age (43) and low AMH (.77). My doctor also said that it does take 90 days to have any influence. I get mine from a fertility pharmacy and it doesn't require an Rx. The brand is MRM...when I cost-compared it was about the same as in stores, plus it was hard to find "micronized". I also took CoQ10 to prep for egg retrieval (antagonist protocol) and wound up with 10 eggs, 5 of which fertilized (now on ice). Good luck... I hope it helps!
    imageExerciseMilestone
  • I take the Coq10 but not the DHEA. I may ask my RE if this isn't my month.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • I take both daily and get them "over the counter" from Amazon. I decided to star taking them after reading the book the impatient woman's guide to getting pregnant. 

Me: 40, Hypothyroidism, well managed, TSH 1.99
    DH: 44 Fine except for low morphology
    TTC since 02/2013  
    08/13: Day 3 tests (ESTRADIOL 20.8; AMH 1.1; FSH 6.2)
    12/13 HSG, all clear
    11/13-5/14 - IUIs #1-3, BFNs, 
    6/14 to present: Taking a break, getting healthier, researching IVF
    Planning for IVF in late summer 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"