Babies: 9 - 12 Months

AHHH DD is dropping to 1 nap!

luvmygirlssluvmygirlss member
edited February 2014 in Babies: 9 - 12 Months
At only 10mos dd is showing signs of dropping her 2nd nap. Oh and at the same exact time dd #1 is dropping naps completely. Looks like it's going to be a busy household considering my girls usually nap about 2hrs each. Just venting, sorry ladies carry on lol

Re: AHHH DD is dropping to 1 nap!

• For us dropping to one nap was a hidden blessing!  Her one nap is MUCH longer then her 3, 30 minute naps or 2 45 minute naps.  Good luck!  Hang in there!
  • Have you tried stretching the time for her second nap?? If she's showing signs of not getting enough sleep, one nap is not enough
  • Loading the player...
  • mj0011 said:
    Ohhh I wish LO would drop to one nap so we could get out and do more!
    Yes that is the plus side lol
  • For us dropping to one nap was a hidden blessing!  Her one nap is MUCH longer then her 3, 30 minute naps or 2 45 minute naps.  Good luck!  Hang in there!
    Thanks!
  • That is pretty young to be going down to one nap.  Both of my kids went through something similar around the one year mark, but I stuck with the nap and they bounced back on board.  DD gave up her morning nap at 15ish months and DS is still taking two naps most days.
  • I agree with the PP that is quite young.  Unless that one nap is about the combined length of her two naps then I would keep at 2.  They often go through stages of trying to skip naps but I have found in all my years of childcare if you keep the same routine they quickly continue with their naps.

My 11.5month old does two 2hr naps right now and she has shown signs of being able to switch to one nap as on weekends when we are out and about she goes down late but does one 3-3.5hr nap.  She gets almost the same amount of sleep but it's in between her usual 2 naps.  Sleep is crucial for brain development...and behavior so don't be too quick to change the routine.

• Every kid does it differently with ds he did it at around 11/12 months which was perfect bc he got 1 really good nap, like 3 hrs long!! Dd is 9 months & she's doing 2 ok naps. I'm ready for her to take 1 really good long naps!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • yea I have to limit her first nap to 2hrs otherwise she will just keep sleeping. If I don't limit the first and drop the 2nd I think there's a good chance she'll still get the same amount of sleep. The only problem is the early bedtime which will be inevitable on 1 nap. It's just so tricky
  • DD dropped to one nap around 10 months, and she has been gradually making it later in the day (started mid-morning, now it's after lunch), and she sleeps 3 hours, which was longer than her other 2 naps combined.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• JmeJme said:
    DD dropped to one nap around 10 months, and she has been gradually making it later in the day (started mid-morning, now it's after lunch), and she sleeps 3 hours, which was longer than her other 2 naps combined.
    This is what I'm thinking is going to happen. Thanks, we'll see..
  • You can try shortening that first nap a bit more every day or two (by 15min at a time).  This may help lengthen the second nap to make that one the big nap in prep of dropping one.

With all the kids I've worked with when they go to one nap it is usually at 11am for a long while...then slowly can be pushed back to an afternoon nap.  It is so hard...they are exhausted by mid morning so need that early nap...but the early nap makes for a LONG evening.  The short morning nap and long afternoon nap, if you can get her to do that is a good compromise...eventually just being a 30min nap to keep her going until afternoon for a big nap.

I hate that period where they go back and forth between 1 and 2 and everything is a mess!!

• =Lee=B said:

You can try shortening that first nap a bit more every day or two (by 15min at a time).  This may help lengthen the second nap to make that one the big nap in prep of dropping one.

With all the kids I've worked with when they go to one nap it is usually at 11am for a long while...then slowly can be pushed back to an afternoon nap.  It is so hard...they are exhausted by mid morning so need that early nap...but the early nap makes for a LONG evening.  The short morning nap and long afternoon nap, if you can get her to do that is a good compromise...eventually just being a 30min nap to keep her going until afternoon for a big nap.

I hate that period where they go back and forth between 1 and 2 and everything is a mess!!

This, exactly. We've been back and forth between both 1 and 2 naps, trying to figure out whats best. But at this point it is almost impossible to get her down for a 2nd nap, regardless of how long the first one is. So I'm cool with a long 1 nap, and just have to compensate with an early bedtime… Thanks everyone!
  • Why would you want to shorten a nap? If they are tired then they obviously need it. Plus it gives you a break. I never wake a sleeping baby
  • Why would you want to shorten a nap? If they are tired then they obviously need it. Plus it gives you a break. I never wake a sleeping baby
    I totally get it. I sometimes have to wake my son from his morning nap. If I don't, the afternoon nap becomes a mess and then it messes with bedtime. Trial and error suggests that letting him sleep in the morning to long nowadays = a messy rest of day! And by messy I mean crying and overtired by the end of the day and nobody wants that.  I have heard about this a lot, shortening the morning nap to naturally move the sleep to the afternoon (and apparently afternoon sleep is more restorative and thus better for baby's development) when they are in that 2-1 tricky transition. It's tough, my DS is doing weird things with his naps too but I feel it's too early for 1 nap so we're sticking to our same loose routine for a while yet. Every baby is different but I find it hard sometimes to catch his sleepy cues at the right window these days. 

I totally get it. I sometimes have to wake my son from his morning nap. If I don't, the afternoon nap becomes a mess and then it messes with bedtime. Trial and error suggests that letting him sleep in the morning to long nowadays = a messy rest of day! And by messy I mean crying and overtired by the end of the day and nobody wants that.  I have heard about this a lot, shortening the morning nap to naturally move the sleep to the afternoon (and apparently afternoon sleep is more restorative and thus better for baby's development) when they are in that 2-1 tricky transition. It's tough, my DS is doing weird things with his naps too but I feel it's too early for 1 nap so we're sticking to our same loose routine for a while yet. Every baby is different but I find it hard sometimes to catch his sleepy cues at the right window these days. 

But they transition to one nap naturally... I still don't understand it.. O well
    But they transition to one nap naturally... I still don't understand it.. O well
    Not sure myself, we're not there yet! But most of my friends with slightly older babies tell me that the 2-1 nap transition is tricky and tough and you usually have a period of "nap messiness" for a while where it's just not consistent and then eventually they go down early afternoon for a long nap but when transitioning you have some days with 2 naps and some days with 1.   I'm dreading it myself because I JUST got my LO falling asleep independently and for good nap lengths! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"