April 2014 Moms
Options

Eating dates to help with dilation

This link was shared on our board a couple of months back and I put a reminder on my calendar to buy some dates a few weeks before my due date so I could try it out. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21280989

Is anyone else planning on trying it? I got the dates last Sunday and I'm finding them hard to eat! The texture is so strange. I got the dried dates that come in the plastic packages from a whole foods type store.
Does anyone have recipe suggestions? I don't think I can stomach much more.

Also - I hope this hasn't been posted too recently. I searched and don't think I saw anything in the last couple of days, but a lot of threads have the word "dates" in them.

Re: Eating dates to help with dilation

• Options
    This was actually just talked about on the 17th thread titles "eat dates for easier delivery" can't link you since I'm mobile.

Mostly it was people says it couldn't hurt so why not. :)
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    snmetz7 said:

This was actually just talked about on the 17th thread titles "eat dates for easier delivery" can't link you since I'm mobile.

Mostly it was people says it couldn't hurt so why not. :)

Crap! I knew I must have missed something. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is it b/c dates are have alot of fiber?  I love dates and add them to homemade granola bars all the time.  I find the plump and juicy dates much sweeter than the completely dried out ones.  They cost a bit more def better to eat by themselves.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We eat a lot of dates - I love them, but I totally get what you mean about the texture. I didn't know they could help with dilation.

I made a pear and date cake a few weeks ago, and it was delicious!! I kept it super simple with pancake mix (Aunt Jemima), sliced pears, roughly chopped dates, real maple syrup, 2 eggs, milk, and allspice. I think there was a fruit cake recipe of some sort on the pancake mix box, that I followed loosely and just added the pears and dates as I wanted. It was very yummy and cooking with dates helps the texture. I have a friend who puts chopped dates in her tacos and burritos - they add a little sweetness to the spice, and when I tried it, I really liked it. If you have a blender, you could spin some dates into a vanilla milkshake.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Options
    newter135 said:
    I have stuffed them with blue cheese or goat cheese and then wrapped in bacon (I usually partially cook it initially) and then bake in the oven until the bacon is crisp
    That sounds tasty!!

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Options
    Like PP said, definitely look for some homemade Lara bar recipes- there are several good ones on Pinterest and they're mostly dates, nuts and other dried fruit. Super tasty and great for snacking. 

Emma Noelle, 5/8/14
  • Options
    I put them in granola. I wonder if you could add them to oatmeal.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I blend dates with cocoa powder, oats, and sometimes other things to make raw "cookies".
    Check Pinterest??

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    Blend dates with banana, cocoa powder and coconut flakes for macaroons. Or try making 'raw' date squares with ground almonds for a healthy treat. Lots of healthy recipes online. So yummy. And definitely the soft ones are way better than dried ones!

And yes i've heard they are good for the final part of your pregnancy.
  • Options
    I found a link that backs this post up with scientific data! Lets start eating those dates ladies!!
  • Options
    @newter135 beat me to the punch! I plan on eating these daily starting at 38 weeks.
  • Options
    "Spontaneous labour occurred in 96% of those who consumed dates, compared with 79% women in the non-date fruit consumers (p = 0.024). Use of prostin/oxytocin was significantly lower in women who consumed dates (28%), compared with the non-date fruit consumers (47%) (p = 0.036). The mean latent phase of the first stage of labour was shorter in women who consumed date fruit compared with the non-date fruit consumers (510 min vs 906 min, p = 0.044). It is concluded that the consumption of date fruit in the last 4 weeks before labour significantly reduced the need for induction and augmentation of labour, and produced a more favourable, but non-significant, delivery outcome." (from @xxooxtina 's link :) )

That sounds like enough persuasion for me, considering it's an easy enough thing to add into a diet, and it's healthy anyways :). Some blue cheese stuffed baked dates sound like just the ticket!
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• Options
    I just mixed dates, a packet of cinnamon swirl oatmeal and coconut together and it's delicious! Thanks for the tips ladies!
    I'm psyched I can start eating dates again. Just plain was really getting to me.
  • Options
    This salad is amazing. I make it frequently:
    https://www.lottieanddoof.com/2012/10/baby-spinach-salad-with-dates-almonds/

Dates are also super yummy in oatmeal.

I wonder if you DON'T want dilation if you should avoid dates? I have complete placenta previa and I'm hoping to avoid any labor shenanigans whatsoever!
  • Options
    The women in that study ate kind of a lot of dates, though. Wasn't it like 4 or 6 a day or something?
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The women in that study ate kind of a lot of dates, though. Wasn't it like 4 or 6 a day or something?

I guess it depends on how you define "a lot"? When I eat dates I think 4 to 6 would be an average serving. But I really like dates, I guess.

Also, if you cut them up and put them on top of oatmeal they turn into delicious, melty, caramel nuggets of goodness.

• Options
    So would this be something you'd want to try to avoid eating until about 38 weeks or so? Or would it not make a difference until your body naturally goes into labor?
  • Options
    Lol 4-6 being alot?! I could eat 15 easily!! I usually have to stop myself. They r so small, soft, sweet and delicious!
  • Options
    Looks like I need to put dates on my shopping list for next week!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They're also very very glycemic! At five grams of carbs a piece and glycemic index higher than straight glucose, yeah 6 sounds like a lot to me!
  • Options
    Maybe search for homemade lara bar recipes? Lara bars are mostly dates. 

I wonder if store bought larabars would do the trick?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been trying to eat my dates. I prefer fresh dates, but I can only get them in August/September time when they have them at the farmers market. Getting 4-6 medjol dates down a day is hard, and I like dates.
  • Options
    And the medjool dates are even more carby. 18 g each. I know everyone isn't as stuck on carb counting as me, not should you be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"