Parenting
Options

Ear infections are the devil

I tried getting feedback on the 12-24 month board but no one ever comments when I post there...

Dd is 13 months. She has had 2 ear infections since the beginning of January to now. We had her on amoxicillin and two weeks after she finished it she had another infection. Then they put her on zithromycin. 3 weeks after ending that she is starting to show signs of EI again. I've been waiting in hopes that it is teething and have been giving her acetaminophen for pain & fever. She doesn't have a runny nose or cough like usual when she gets am EI but she does have a low grade fever, has been cranky and batting at the side of her face. One difference I've noticed is when she has an EI she will be up all night crying, so far she has been sleeping fine at night. I just don't want to put her on antibiotics again because I know they'll just bump her up to their strongest one and it can do more harm than good sometimes. She gets nasty blowout diapers and bad rashes. I just don't like the idea of her being on 3 different antibiotics in 2 months. Has anyone on here done watchful waiting or been able to clear an EI without antibiotics?

Re: Ear infections are the devil

• Options
    Dd has had 2 EIs since the beginning of January. With those ones she was pretty miserable and up all night. She doesn't seem too bad this time around but I know she's not feeling as well as usual. I'm trying to rule out teething because she is getting some new teeth right now. I may take her to the ped just so they can look at her ears to be sure. I have a feeling the EI she had back to back may have been the same one and was just resistant to the first round of antibiotics. I have given yogurt to counteract the meds but will get an OTC probiotic if she has to go on augmentin. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    My son had an ear infection in Jan that we treated w/ amoxicillin, then 3 days after it was finished his ear drum ruptured. After that he got augmentin and the infection cleared and his ear drum is healing. The Children's urgent care dr we saw said he's seen a lot of amoxicillin resistant ear infections this winter.

I know there are some homeopathic remidies using garlic oil drops and such but we've never tried them.

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah it's not worth the pain and general misery she's going through to "watch and wait" I just hate that she's been on 2 different antibiotics in the past month and a half. Going to take her in when Dh gets home from work. Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"