Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Another poop question

My DD has been pee trained for about 6.5 months, and in the beginning did very well with pooping as well. However, I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden a couple of months ago, she became terrified of pooping on the potty. She went a week without pooping so I gave her a suppository. She of course HATED it. But she ended up pooping for a couple of days straight after that. Now we're back to pooping every 4 days or so, and she only does it under duress. She has resorted to pooping in her underwear and would not tell anyone when she was doing it. She still pees great and has no issue there. I went out and bought pull ups because she will poop in those.

I know that she will eventually outgrow this but I'm just so frustrated right now, and I feel like we're taking a step backwards by going back to diapers, even though the important thing is that she poops. I've tried everything - Miralax, lots of fruits and veggies, prunes, prune and apple juice, no dairy, even a PediaLax laxative. Nothing makes her go, she is an expert at holding it (besides the small amount that she gets in her underwear). I'm at a loss as to what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips? They would be greatly appreciated!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Another poop question

• Options
    You might already do this, but I would go back to day one. We did the 3 day method. No pants or underware for at least 3 days. If/when she goes to the potty make a HUGE deal and give her treats. Maybe try treats, sticker board, prizes, anything that would make her excited to go. 
  • Options
    What does your pedi say? DD also was terrified of pooping. She would hold it for days, and then when she absolutely couldn't hold it any longer it was literally 2-3 hours of her running back and forth to the bathroom and crying b/c she didn't want to poop. I seriously almost lost it. We had to start a daily regiment of Miralax. DD had become so constipated it hurt to go which just continued the cycle of holding it from fear of it hurting. We had to basically increase the Miralax until her poop got soft enough to where she couldn't hold it. Eventually she learned that poop didn't hurt and wasn't scary and now she goes by herself on an almost daily basis. I would definitely keep in touch with your pedi and don't let her go that many days without going. DD ended up impacted and that was no fun at all!!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Andie_83Andie_83 member
    edited February 2014
    I took her to the pedi after she hadn't pooped for a week, and he said to give her Miralax every day. I should clarify my above post and say that I was very inconsistent with the Miralax which apparently defeats the purpose of giving it to her. I was also hesitant to give her a laxative every day, but I've done so much research online and it seems like it's widely used in situations like mine, and it's said to be completely safe (thanks Dr. Google). I've done the sticker chart, chocolate, toys, any kind of reward you can think of, and she still refused to go. It pains me to admit but I was getting irrationally angry with her, and I totally know it's not her fault!

I've taken a step back and decided to put her in pull-ups since yesterday. I gave her 2 PediaLax laxatives last night (they can take up to 3) and she pooped last night, and twice today. All times in a pull-up. Sorry TMI but it was very soft so I'm hoping she realizes that it doesn't hurt to poop, and hopefully the Miralax will continue to do its job and make it easier for her to go! She also got a toy today every time she pooped so we'll see if that helps her to realize it's okay to poop. She will stay in pull-ups for a while and then I will re-attempt the toilet. It's still just frustrating to me because she still pees no problem in the toilet. :-S

ETA: I only gave her the PediaLax because we were going on day 5 of not pooping.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, we had to stay really consistent with the Miralax. If we missed even a day it would make a difference. Finally now with a decrease in dairy and in increase in water and OJ she can go by herself without the daily dose of Miralax. There's nothing worse than a dr doing an xray and telling you your LO's belly is so full of poop they can't even see the base of their spine. GAG!
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"