Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

18 month old potty training ??

I am a first time mom
So I have no idea on when to start potty training my daughter .She is 18 months will be 19 on the 24 th . I have heard a few people say I should start. I know a few who are a few months older and are all ready potty trained . I am not sure what to do or when the right time is .

Re: 18 month old potty training ??

• Options
    Is she showing interest? There is no right or wrong age. DS is 20 months and we have been working on it for a while. We only change diapers in the bathroom and days I'm home I leave it off and we try every 20 minutes. He is doing very well telling me when he has to go. The biggest help was that we switched from disposable diapers to cloth and he hates feeling wet.
  • Options
    The right time to potty train is when your child is showing signs of readiness.  Ability to stay dry for 2- 3 hours at a time, wants their diaper changed immediately, is able to tell you when their diaper is wet, etc.  Try not to pay attention to what others are doing and focus on what you're LO is doing.

We started really talking up the potty for DD right when she turned 2.  She seemed interested about 2 months later and we went from there.  She was in underwear all day by 27 mos.  All kids are different though and some train earlier than others.  If she's not ready than no worries.  I think 18 mos is on the young side.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you every one .
    I appreciate all of your help :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Nicb13 said:

Depends on the kid. DS will be 2 in a month and he's very aware of going potty, how it works, tells us when has gone potty and needs his diaper changed but I haven't started doing anything official yet. I'm not sure if he can tell us when he NEEDS to go and that is key. I'm due with #2 in October so it would be nice to start working on this now if DS is ready.

I've heard that girls are ready earlier than boys so maybe someone else has some good advice.

@Nicb13 You seem to always have very good advice. How is my daughter able to tell me she needs to go if she is not saying potty yet? She is also 18 months. She shows interest and is in pull ups. She does things like going to get a new pull up when she soiled hers, grabbing herself like she has to go, looking down into the potty to see if something is there when she is sitting on it, etc. The problem is I take her often and she NEVER goes. She does not have a set pattern when she goes potty.

Do you have any suggestions?

BTW, Congrats on your  LO coming in October!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    First time Mom here too, no advice really just in the same boat. I have been putting DD on the potty since she was 10 months, she will be 18 months on the 19th. In the past few months we have been putting her on daily she usually goes at least once #1 & #2. She just isn't to the point that where she can tell us yet constantly and like a previous poster said she deffinately doesn't stay dry, not even for an hour. She knows when she pees and pops on the potty and claps, she understands that. She is getting better telling us. I just don't know though I could see it taking another year, but once the weather warms up I'm hoping to try the no diaper 20 min method. We have a LO due in September, so ideally I want her potty trained before then.
    Married: 9-25-09
    BFP #1: 8-24-11 MMC: 8 weeks 6 days D&C
    BFP #2: 12-9-11 Beautiful DD Born: 8-19-12
    BFP #3: 8-22-13 Chemical Pregnancy: 4 weeks
    BFP #4: 1-1-14 Praying Daily for H&H 9 Months
    ~Always Remembering our Angel Babies~

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Some people like to try to pt before the age of "no" at age 2. LOs are generally more amenable to parental guidance, suggestion, mimicry, etc. before the terrible twos. Or at least, that's what I've heard. 

If you're interested in pt before 2, I suggest checking out the pt chapter in "The baby whisperer solves all your problems." You can probably get the book from your library. 
  • Options
    We started potty training when our baby was about 6 months, he is 15 months now and he says "poo-poo" and walks into the bathroom whenever he needs to go potty (he can't take off his pants yet). My point is, I think you can start as soon or as late as you want - although I would personally argue that, in many regards, everyone can benefit from earlier potty training. I have never heard of someone who couldn't properly go to the bathroom because they weren't taught to at the 'right time'
  • Options
    My older 2 were fully PT (daytime, naps and bedtime) at 17 & 15 months old- it was very easy and took 2-3 days.  My 13 month old is pee trained only in the potty for daytime and nap.  For us, we use CD so at 1 year old we just took the fleece liner out of their cotton diapers and within the month they started telling us after they peeped/pooped (they just said "poop"), stayed dry for 1 1/2 hrs- 2 hours, started waking up dry from naps and were less wet at night.  It was just natural to sit them on the potty after naps when they woke up dry and they got use to relaxing on the potty to go.  Because we CD they would also go to the toilet with us to dump their poop.  I waited so long with my oldest at 17 months old because I was pregnant so we just PT him when we were on baby leave.  I've helped my friends who did not CD PT their kids and I always recommended doing it prior to 20 months old.  Around 20 months- 2 years is when the "no" phase hits and you can run into power struggles.  Prior to that age, its fun and exciting for the kids to do.  Not to mention, it's a lot easier to undo a bad habit that's been going on for only 1 1/2 years then it can be after 3 years.  Only recently have I heard rumblings that early PT can cause a lot of regressions but we've never had any of them with any of the kids- not when siblings came or preschool started.
  • Options

she does not really show any intrest in potty training as of right now . she does  for 2 hrs with a dry diaper but I dont really see any more signs . she does not tell me when she has pooped or anything either .She is a very smart little girl and I dont forsee it as being a problem . I was going to wait till it warms up a little here and then try .

• Options
    There are so many "right" ways to go about this.  One thing you can do is buy her a special potty NOW for fun and practice.  She can sit on it clothed, even (though I don't know why this is really recommended).  Mostly my tod just sits, bare bottomed, for about 5 minutes once or twice a day on her potty while we read books.  It's pretty cute, actually.  I ask her if she wants to sit on the potty and she toddles on over.  Then I talk to her about peeing and pooping on the potty. 95% of the time she doesn't.  But she'll get it eventually.  I'm waiting for daycare to take the lead on this anyway so we're in no rush.  I'm just working on making it a positive experience for her.
  • Options
    18 mo seems very early but if she seems ready than go for it. At 18 months I bought a potty seat and out it next to the big toilet just to spark interest. I never tried to put her on t. After baths I'd let her run around diaper less for a bit and she'd sit on the potty but never did her business on it. I always let her see me on it though just for example. She didn't start successfully using the potty until she was a couple months shy of her 3rd birthday. I was glad we never pushed it on her because when she started it was something that was her choice and we went out and picked out new underwear and made a big deal about it. Ther were a few accidents here and there but within a few months she was fully potty trained and didn't wear pull ups or diapers, even at night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"