Toddlers: 24 Months+

What does your 2 yo drink out of?

We are still using sippie cups. Sometimes he'll have a cup of water that I fill with a little at a time, but inevitably it ends up on the floor. How did you transition to open cups?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What does your 2 yo drink out of?

• Practice.  Keep using open cups (with small amounts of water and towels near by) and eventually, it won't be a problem.  It takes longer for some kids than others, as it requires a LOT of awareness of their body AND of other objects.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine still drinks from straw cups most of the time, just because it's easier when he's feeling especially toddler-y (meaning ready to spill on purpose).

But he can and does drink from open cups.  We started (or daycare started) having him finish what was left in the straw cups by taking off the lid.  So there's not a lot of liquid in the cup.  Then we started with "tea."  DH and I drink tea, so he wanted also - especially when going out for Chinese food.  So we put warm water in a shallow cup (again, think about the tea cups at a Chinese restaurant) and he drinks that.  When he drinks from an open cup we remind him, 2 hands, drink slowly.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We use open cups 90% of the time. We started giving her only open cups at the dinner table just before she turned 2 (with just a little liquid). We slowly upped the liquid, now she can do a full cup no problem. I will fill a cup halfway and let her have it in her playroom, she's only spilt once. For the car we do a no-spill straw water bottle. It takes practice and patients.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mostly straw or sippy cups still. She can drink from an open cup so we should just keep practicing that more at mealtime at least. We usually make a straw cup of water available all the time for her (in a reachable spot on the frig) so it's habit that we're still with that kind of cup.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mostly he drinks from a sippy cup. But at the table it's open cup..
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • DD only uses an open cup at the table for meals and snacks.  I drink hot tea in the morning and she has some in her cup with me too.  

If it's just water while she's playing it's in a straw cup.  She and DS usually share and it's easier not worrying about him taking hers.    
  • Open cups at the table, but we still use a sippy if he wants to lie down on the floor and have milk and a rest. He uses straws at restaurants no problem.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Combo of sippy cups and regular cups if it is something easy like water in a contained environment.
  • we use sippy and straw cups. I didn't transition my older one until at least 3.  
  • Most of the time she uses a sippy cup. At dinner time she gets an open cup and does very well with it, I just don't want her carrying that around the house. 
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We keep a sippy cup out all of the time. She gets a small open cup with a little bit of milk in it for breakfast and dinner. Sometimes we also let her practice using a straw.
  • He drinks out of a sippy, but can do small open cups pretty well. He'll dribble a little bit, but he's gotten pretty good at it. The small size Dixie cups are perfect for practicing.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Open cup at home and cup with straw/lid in the car or out th eat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went from the straw sippy cup to the kids nalgene water bottle with the small open hole to a regular small cup. We bought the nalgene at target in the water bottle area near the sporting goods.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"