3rd Trimester
Options

Complicated Birth Announcement Predicament

This is long, and my first post, but I could really use some advice since my brain is a bowl of hormonal mashed potatos. So I'm almost 36 weeks and getting together a list of people to contact when baby arrives. I'm basically making it my mom's task to give her something to do while I'm in labor because she will only be in the waiting room and she will probably be a nervous wreck. And this is where it gets interesting.
I don't think I want her to contact my brother with the news. He's a recovering alcoholic, who is now living in a halfway house after his third attempt to get clean. I hear he is making some progress in recovery, but it's just through the grapevine. He does owe me two thousand dollars and ripped our family apart with his addiction antics just a few months ago. At his lowest point, he broke into my apartment and stole money and medication (he knew I was pregnant at the time), I didn't press charges because my mother was having a small breakdown over it and I wasn't sure I could go through with the whole ordeal without the support of my family while pregnant.
I've tried reaching out to him a few times, but he hasn't replied or asked how I'm doing or how I'm feeling or showed any interest in my pregnancy or well being. So I feel offering up this private information gives him the message that he can behave distantly and not take responsibility for his actions and still be included.
My mom opposes my opinion fiercely and has come to his defense whenever the subject comes up. I'm still not sure if I'm a horrible person for making this descision. I just want a few outside opinions to see if my hormones and nerves are making me think irrationally or not.
Thanks for reading, sorry again that it was so long.

Re: Complicated Birth Announcement Predicament

• Options
    I can see how your brother's indifference towards your pregnancy is hard. This is a huge life-changing moment for you. Now I don't know the details on your brother's recovery but if he really is doing as good as people are telling you then this recovery is also a life-changing moment for him. I'm not suggesting you cater to him or anything but having your mom just tell him you had your baby doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I've never had a family member with addiction issues so I can't completely relate to how you feel about what he did to you when he was under the influence. Do what feels right for you since this is your special time :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well presumably someone (probably your Mum I'm guessing) will tell your brother about the baby at some point, so does it matter if it's very soon after baby's birth or a few days later?

It won't be like you'll be going out of your way to tell him, it will be her doing the legwork.

This is a sucky thing to deal with, but personally I would focus on the joy of my new baby, and put zero effort into being upset or bothered over whether an "estranged" brother hears about it quickly or not.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Personally, the only person saying my baby is born is me or DH, not anyone in the waiting room while baby is still being born. I don't want people coming to the hospital before I/WE are ready. Heaven forbid a complication arises, ect. To me, too much info to too any people too early.

If you can't trust your brother with the news your house will be empty (past history) WHY tell him now? Yes his is getting better, but does that mean he is better and has made amends for not only his behavior towards you, but all his actions.

I still do not fully trust my sister after her recovery. I do not personally see her recovery, I see her playing the game to get out of rehab, half way, give me money since I can't get a stable job because I'm an addict. A recovered addict is never really recovered, they learn to live with it everyday and acknowledge their short comings and work on it daily.

I would not leave myself, my house, and my newborn vonerable to that situation. My momma bear instinct would come out. Which I think your mom's momma bear instinct for your brother is coming out.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It sounds like you think you will be punishing your brother somehow by not telling him about your LO's birth right away, which seems silly because he will eventually know that you had your baby.

I get that you are angry with him, but I am going to say that I think you need to reach deep down inside of yourself and try to find some compassion.  Addiction is a disease, a very frightening and ugly disease.

Please consider getting help yourself (and your mother as well-- maybe Al-Anon?).  It might help you better understand why your brother has done the things he has and may aid him in his recovery.

GL.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    My sister is a meth-addict. (Sometimes recovering, sometimes not) She knows about my pregnancy but truely has zero interest in what's going on in my life. She's beyond selfish. (I've learned a lot of addicts are.) I have zero plans to call her and tell her when the baby is born. If somebody else (most likely my dad) does, well that's up to him.

If your mom wants to tell him I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds doubtful he will want to reach out to you. And if he does you can tell him you aren't ready.

Honestly I completely disagree with the other response about "finding compassion". Yes addiction is awful, but you need to put yourself and what's best for your family first and sometimes that means cutting ties for awhile.

I have periods where I cut my sister out because it's too stressful for me to constantly deal with her issues and drama. She has the resources to get help, she has family willing to go to the moon and back to help her, she makes decisions to snub that and do whatever she wants. Sometimes there comes a time where you need to let them go and let them do it themselves.
  • Options
    Personally, I understand you are hurt by your brothers actions, but I can tell you that it was likely the addiction consuming his life and not the fact that he doesn't care about your pregnancy.  He's most likely focusing on getting well.  Instead of making this about you and the fact that he "doesn't care about you" why not try supporting him in his recovery and trying to put his life back together?  Additionally, not telling him may make the rift even worse and also affect his recovery, when he undoubtedly learns that his niece or nephew was born thru the grapvine and no one thought to tell him at the time.  Although other PP's disagree and have dealt with "addicts" before, every person and their recovery is different. 

• Options
    Thanks for all the opinions ladies, I think I'm gonna have my mom tell him when we are headed home so I don't have to deal with any strange or strained encounters in the hospital, as well as not leaving my apartment vulnerable. He is in a halfway house recovering, but he tends to relapse every few weeks so who knows what state he will be in. As for telling him to assist in his recovery and aid in his sobriety, I can honestly say I'm not in a place to help him right now, there is so much anger and betrayal and I have yet to fully process those feelings. I'm going to just focus on my baby and new family and let him focus on what he feels is important to him now. I won't go out of my way to include or exclude him. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"