Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Babies at Restuarants, have you been asked to leave?!!??

my LO, 9 months, as a high pitched scream and loves to hear herself. We have tried not giving herself so much attention when she does it cause we dont want her continuously doing it. She has been doing this for almost 2 months and thinks its funny. Which is fine, I cant not say anything, I give her all the attention in the world. However when we go to restuarants she does it even louder and Im worried that we will be asked to leave. She isnt fussy at all, just thinks its all fun, but remind you its pretty high pitched loud. Is there a way to stop this or does it dwell overtime...?

Re: Babies at Restuarants, have you been asked to leave?!!??

• DD, who is almost 2, is a champion screamer. We've taken our kids out to restaurants 1-2x/month since they were born and have never been asked to leave. However, we always always always go at off, non-crowded times and ask if we can be seated in an out-of-the-way area. As long as it isn't drawn out screaming, most people won't care.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Goodreads shelf
    Snjoslin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists
  • I think it is more so the looks we get when she screams lol. I do stick to family restaurants and don't take her to fancy ones. I was only curious cause my friend has mentioned it when we were at a restuarant that she was surprised they werent asking us to leave. It has happened to her cousin before. I guess it really does depend on where you go. Thanks everyone! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • We have only taken DS to one restaurant & he did fine. I totally thought he'd freak out considering he doesn't like to sit for very long . They may surprise you
  • We have always done restaurants about every other week since he was born. Once in all of those times there was a stiff older couple sitting behind us that loudly kept complaining. "Well, I guess we're going to have to move!!" He was screech talking, not fussing or crying. They never moved and we were never asked to leave. Our waitress was laughing. I bring lots of toys, snacks, and never give him messy food or let him use utensils. It's great fun!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We've been to many, have never been asked to leave but our daughter hasn't really done anything to warrant them asking us to leave.  We typically frequent pubs...they have TV's on and are noisy and no one hears the baby,

I do remember when she was maybe 4 months old we were out and decided to eat out, unplanned. My husband and I walked up the main strip and I said no to every place because I wanted a very casual, sandwich type place that wouldn't be a problem is she was fussy.  We finally came across "the village café" I said ok.  Well in my baby brain stat it wasn't until we were seated that I looked around and realized everyone was in formal wear and the tables all had fancy linens, candles and wine glasses.  Then I remembered that despite it's dumb name it was NOT a café but rather a well known, expensive fine-dining place. Gahhhh

I told the waiter, he laughed.  We stayed.  When my daughter got fussy and needed a break we literally climbed out the window (they had the floor to ceiling windows that open up to be full open to the main strip).  One of us would hop out with our daughter walk her a few minutes and climb back in!!!

The waiter was awesome...at the end he congratulated us and told us how great it was that we got out for a fancy dinner with such a young baby. 

I can't say we enjoyed the food nearly as much as the price tag was...since I was so worried about the baby ruining all the other peoples expensive meals.  And, we had worn her in so no car seat or highchair to put her down so had to eat one handed and take shifts lol.

But, we survived and no one seemed at all bothered by us.

• aibreanaibrean member
    edited February 2014
    Ours can sit for at least 45 minutes without getting fussy. She likes people-watching. As long as she's got a full belly and clean diaper she's fine :)
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine screeches when she sees other babies (or animals). She wants to play so it's a happy screech.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • Luckily, DD is AMAZING at restaurants. We even have people come up to us frequently and tell us how great she is. She will sit and eat in her high chair for a good hour and entertain herself. Lucky with that one!
    Me: 30 | DH:34
    Married: 08/04/12
    DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
    DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

• I never wanted to disrupt others so we rarely went. If we did it was to a family restaurant that was loud, we didn't go when it was busy and we would be in and out as fast as possible.

Not gonna lie there were a few times we packed our food to go- esp when she started walking. The high chair was the equivalent of a torture device!
  • We've never been asked to leave. But we also take care to go to restaurants that tend to be on the louder side, like Soup Plantation, Red Robin, Buca di Beppo, El Torito, the local diner, things like that.  If we want a better meal in a quieter place, we save it for when we have a babysitter.  I think every baby goes through the screaming stage at some point, just practice not giving any attention to it at home and eventually it'll stop.  With our first, we realized this a little late, so the screeching phase lasted longer than it needed to. 

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• I personally would not go if I was worried I'd be asked to leave. I am a very conscientious person and I would not want to ruin other people's meals that they are paying good money for. I guess the only exception would be something like McDonald's that is full of kids - but we don't eat there.

Anniversary

• We were never asked to leave but we did leave because he was whinny and they took too long

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We try not to go during his fussy sleepy time, we mainly go to breakfast and he is usually happy. When we do go during fussy times(which is very rare) we make sure to leave a good tip and take turns walking him around.  The one thing he does that worries me that will bother other diners is bang the table, but so far all other patrons understand and compliment his good behavior.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"