July 2012 Moms
Options

Fifths Disease (updated with pic)

michaela080michaela080 member
edited February 2014 in July 2012 Moms
Has anyone's LO had fifths disease? I posted about when to go to the doctor before, but now my mom thinks he has fifth disease because of the rash/redness he has on his cheeks. I don't have a pic, but it does look like the pictures I've seen online. It's only on his cheeks and chin, but not lacey looking like some of the pics online. The other difference is he has had this rash for 3-4 weeks on and off, and he just got the cold symptoms last week, which doesn't follow what it says online. He went in for his 18 month appt when his cheeks were less red/irritated, but they had been worse the few weeks before, and are back to that again. The doctor said it was dry/sensitive winter skin at the time, but he didn't have the cold symptoms then. Anyway, I'm definitely going to take him to the doctor tomorrow just in case. Also, it looks like there is a mild risk for pregnant women, although looks like more of a problem in the first trimester. Anyone have experience with this?

Update: I found a pic of his cheeks, although not very close up.

GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
red.jpg 97.4K

Re: Fifths Disease (updated with pic)

• Options
    No direct experience but I will say my LO has had red irritated cheeks/near her mouth for the last few months. At her 18 month appointment we asked the pedi about it because it comes and goes. Our pedi told us the same things, that it was dry irritated skin. She told us to put some vasolin/lotion on it to help with the dryness. Since we started doing that it has helped but some days are better than others.
  • Options

Z had it in the fall.  He had the bright red rash on his cheeks (I can PIP from my phone in a bit).  I was pregnant at the time too.  We didn't do anything about it, just let it run its course. 

He now has red cheeks on occasion, but they are due to dry skin.  I just put aquaphor on them at night and it really helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Here is the pic when he had it. Not the clearest of the rash but it wasn't his normal rosy cheeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, went to the doctor. Not fifths disease, just a cold and dry skin.
    GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
    BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
    BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
    BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"