Pittsburgh Babies
Options

What are the Magee delivery rooms like? Do the rooms have bathtubs?

Hello,

Do any of you know if there are bathtubs in the rooms at Magee? I know they have like one or two delivery rooms with a Jacuzzi tub, but do the other rooms just have walk in showers or is there actually a tub?

I'm thinking of delivering there but wish I could have water to help with labor pain.

thanks!

Re: What are the Magee delivery rooms like? Do the rooms have bathtubs?

• Options
    I haven't had my baby yet, but my husband and I took a tour of Magee in December. Like you said, only a couple rooms have a jacuzzi tub. From what I can remember, all rooms have a walk in shower. I don't recall seeing regular tubs, but I could be wrong. The woman giving the tour said that you can always request a room with a jacuzzi tub when you arrive at the hospital, and if it's available they will do everything possible to give it to you. My doula told us that even if we aren't able to get one with a jacuzzi, being able to use the shower can help tremendously during labor.
  • Options
    All of the rooms have showers. When you're planning, keep in mind that you have to have 15-ish minutes of monitoring each hour that you obviously can't be in the shower for (at least, assuming everything is going normally). Also, all of the rooms have squat bars. The have a few birth/yoga balls but if you need to have one, bring your own.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    showers.

i believe the midwifery delivery rooms have jacuzzis.
  • Options
    walk in showers, there are 2 rooms with tubs that we did see when we toured, these tubs are rather small, I believe they are even smaller than your standard bathroom tub so there is very little room in them to move around. They are not specifically the midwife rooms as far as I understand. We were told you can try to request one at arrival if interested.
    Baby Burrito is coming soon :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Check out my LuLaRoe pages:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/lularoepghjess
    http://www.luladaydreambelievers.com/
  • Options
    Yeah, the tubs are really small, and you definitely can't stay in them to give birth. You can request a room with a tub when you're admitted and if there's one available they'll put you in it, but if they're full you're out of luck. There are no separate midwives rooms, it's all one big area. 
  • Options
    Yes, the jacuzzi tubs are very, very small.  I happened to get one for my last delivery and was in it during transition.  I had to curl up in a little ball, but it was very helpful to be in there with the jets on and my doula using the handheld shower to spray me down.  I had one of the mobile monitors (I'm blanking on the name now) which is waterproof, so getting out to be monitored wasn't an issue.
  • Options
    That's weird, I was on one of the telemetry monitors too and they told me no shower. Maybe because I was on pitocin and so I had to be monitored the whole time. At least I got to walk around! I was so surprised that I never saw anyone else in the hallways and it was pretty full that night.
  • Options
    That is strange! I didn't have an IV, so maybe that's it.  I think it also depends on the nurse - mine was really patient in the tub with me, making sure the monitors stayed on.  I was at the end of an induced labor, so they definitely wanted monitoring.
  • Options
    I think it must have been the iv, because I had a totally awesome nurse who really tried to help me go as natural as possible (although it didn't work out that way, but that's another story!). I didn't really think to question her when she said no to the shower, but she suggested so many other things and spent so much time with us that there must have been a reason ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"