VBAC

Is a whole practice generally anti-VBAC?

coffee beancoffee bean member
edited February 2014 in VBAC
I am interested in knowing more about VBACs.  I had a planned c-section with my twin daughters, because we were told it was the least risky option.  It was scheduled at 38 weeks and I wasn't showing any signs of labor.  I didn't question it much.  However, I didn't like the 'surgery' aspect of birth and have had issues with numb skin ever since.

I asked my new OB (we just moved) about VBACs in our intake appointment at 6w.  He gave the doomsday speech that completely freaked me and my husband out.  Now, I'm reading VBAC statistics that show they are LESS risky than repeat c/s.  Anyway, my question is...should I give the other doctors at this practice a shot?  Is it possible for some to be more VBAC-friendly than others?  Or is it generally a policy at the level of the whole practice?

There is a midwife practice nearby that does VBACs at the hospital.  I'm considering at least talking with them.  I never thought I'd be one to go to a midwife, but maybe...
Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Is a whole practice generally anti-VBAC?

• In my case my doctor would gladly let me do a VBAC, but the hospitals in town do not allow them. This means I have to drive another hour to a hospital that does.  If your doctor now is not supportive of a VBAC I would find another doctor/midwife that was.  It is important that they are on your side with this decision. GL :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • If having the option of a VBAC is important to you I would switch! What is your concern about midwives? After I switched from an OB to a midwife, I would never go back :) They're so much more patient, and I don't feel rushed like I'm just another number to stand there and pull out the baby and move on with the next number, assembly line style!

Also, midwives are not all about 100% med-free birth, and they are happy to discuss pain management techniques that you'd be interested in, including epidurals, and they have medical guidelines they have to meet as well and would definitely advise you if a c-section in your situation is the best option for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You could call the office and ask if they have an official stance on VBAC, or if it's specific to the doctor. I went to large MW practices for both my pg, and love the midwifery model of care. Very woman-centered, and open to med-free ideas, etc.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• The challenge with having a Dr who's very anti-VBAC in the practice is he could be on call when you go into labor. 

You want a practice that overall has a better than average VBAC success rate (nat'l avg is 75%) and I think it's more helpful to inquire about that than to ask a philosophical question of the practice's view on VBACs. They can state that they're supportive all they want but if they don't deliver results, then they're not the practice for you. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am interested in knowing more about VBACs.  I had a planned c-section with my twin daughters, because we were told it was the least risky option.  It was scheduled at 38 weeks and I wasn't showing any signs of labor.  I didn't question it much.  However, I didn't like the 'surgery' aspect of birth and have had issues with numb skin ever since.

I asked my new OB (we just moved) about VBACs in our intake appointment at 6w.  He gave the doomsday speech that completely freaked me and my husband out.  Now, I'm reading VBAC statistics that show they are LESS risky than repeat c/s.  Anyway, my question is...should I give the other doctors at this practice a shot?  Is it possible for some to be more VBAC-friendly than others?  Or is it generally a policy at the level of the whole practice?

There is a midwife practice nearby that does VBACs at the hospital.  I'm considering at least talking with them.  I never thought I'd be one to go to a midwife, but maybe...
    I would go with this option, for sure.  It is possible for another doctor in the same practice to be a bit for VBAC friendly, but I'd still worry they were blowing smoke up my ass.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Yes, a whole practice can be biased against VBACS.  Switch.  Doctors work with others with whom they share personal philosophies, also, you cant guarantee who will be on call when you go into labor.  Your best chance of a VBAC is to go to a practice that sees as many of them as possible.  You don't want to be the one special case.  I have had a successful VBAC and switched practices halfway through my pregnancy when I realized I was not in a practice where every member was going to support me. It was the right decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"