Late Term and Child Loss

Insomnia

It has been five weeks since my loss and I have been struggling with sleep. I try to sleep at a reasonable hour and have been up all night.
Anyone have the same problem?
I need to get a handle on this because next week is my last week home before I start work again.
Any suggestions?

Re: Insomnia

• I definitely still struggle with sleep. I'm not a big fan of drugs if I can avoid them and I've found rubbing lavender essential oils on the bottom of my feet before bed will knock me out in about 15 minutes. It's always taken me at least an hour and a half to fall asleep which has become way worse after my loss but that has helped a ton!
  • I could not sleep the first 2 weeks after our loss, then I remembered wine. :) I've become quite the light weight between infertility treatments and being pregnant. A glass of wine after dinner and I'm ready for bed.

If you don't drink, reading also does the trick. It keeps my mind busy and makes my eyes tired so I can fall asleep pretty quickly.

TTC since 10/2010
    IUIs # 1-5 = BFFN
    IVF # 1(July 2012) = BFN
    IVF # 2 (November 2012) = BFP (MIssed MC D&C @ 8w3d on 1/10/13)
    IVF # 3 (June 2013) = BFN 
    IVF # 4 (September 2013) = BFP Fraternal twin boys! (Loss at 21w6d due to IC on 1/26/14...devastated.)
    3/21/14--TAC (transabdominal cerclage) w/Dr. Davis in NJ
    IVF # 5 (May 2014) = BFN
    FET (August 2014) = BFN

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ***SIGGY***

It took me almost two months to get myself to sleep more than 3-4 hours a night [if that]. I found that reading, taking a bath or having some tea helped get me to sleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ive actually never struggled with sleep but ive heard that melatonin helps. Its a natural OTC supplement you can find at the local drugstores. It may be worth a shot if you aren't crazy about the idea of getting a Rx.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers'> 

• YES. I have the worst insomnia.  I found that reading helps, and does watching what I eat (no sugar, no caffeine at all - even during the day).  Sometimes just doing something relaxing helps - my husband will sometimes just scratch or rub my back and I'll fall asleep.  

A prescription for sleep medication should be taken with care, if you decide to go that way.  I know when I was on an Rx for Lunesta and then for Ambien, they made me hallucinate.  And by hallucinate, I mean I used to talk to imaginary people and be so out of it that I couldn't walk straight.  Plus, they are a short-term solution. But, it helps A LOT of people get into a healthy pattern of sleep.  

Good luck to you with going back to work.  I know its a hard transition for most people, especially after a loss. 

• Instead of sleeping pills I opted for Ativan. Just to take the edge off and relax. I cannot just lay in bed and drift off yet. I have to be about to drop before I can get in to bed.
  • Yes, I had trouble sleeping in the beginning, I think because when its bedtime all is quiet and all you do is think and cry . a thousand things are going through your head.. Try reading before bedtime, that usually knocks people out, maybe a warmer than usual shower and some late night tv... ((HUGS))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"