3rd Trimester
Options

family and social media

So I tried to talk to my husband last night about asking our families not to post anything about the baby's birth until we are ready, but he didn't quite seem to get it.  I would prefer that they let us post pictures and announcements first seeing as we are the parents.  We don't know the sex of the baby and have been keeping names a secret.  To me it should be our right to finally share that with everyone.  Also, I really don't want play-by-plays on my sisters Facebook and twitter as I go into labor.  My husband seemed kind of confused about it all.  Am I crazy or is this a sane request that family should be able to abide by?  

Re: family and social media

• Options
    I am a FTM and its the first grandchild on my side, so not telling anyone anything is simply not going to happen.  

My husband said he supports me, just that it's not as big of a deal to him as it is to me.  I'm really more worried about my side of the family. My mom has already made such a huge deal about us not finding out the gender and not sharing any names.  And my little sister practically has her phone glued to her hands.  Everything goes on twitter and instagram and snap chat.  I may just ban cell phones from the hospital room!
  • Options
    My sister and I have been baffled by our friends birth announcements being ruined by a family member tagging them on fb. One of them the name was a surprise and the second the sex was a surprise. Both were posted before the mother knew, we felt so bad for them. I'm making it a point to tell my family they are not to post anything until we do.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I worry about this too. I really don't think it's ok to have anyone but the parents post the first picture/announcement of baby's birth. I don't know how to broach this subject without causing resentment or something.
  • Options
    ArmyWife114ArmyWife114 member
    edited February 2014
    I would just not tell them until the baby is born.  DS was the first grandchild on both sides and we didn't tell anyone he was born until an hour or two after he was born.  Our families did know I was in labor (I was induced early because of Pre-e and Hypertension), but we did ask they not post on social media that I was induced.  They all respected our wishes.  

Edit: I should add, our parents live halfway across the country from us, so it's not like anyone was going to show up while I was in labor. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DH and I already agreed that we won't be telling anyone anything until we are ready.  

I would explain to your DH that you are going to need him for the labour and he needs to focus on his new family and not his parents.  If he still doesn't get it then I would just say these are your feelings, state why you feel this way, and that he needs to explain why he thinks your feelings are unimportant (I don't mean to sound manipulative).  He needs to justify his feelings so that you understand.
  • Options
    We're not giving anyone information or pictures to post until we are ready to post them. If you must give play by play type info, then make it abundantly clear that they are not to post anything on social media. 
  • Options
    Agree with what the ladies above have said- tell them they have to wait or don't tell them until baby arrives. It really aggravates me that people do that or even post on fb walls before the parent has made an announcement, I would always just text congrats or pm if an announcement hadn't been made yet...it's just thunder stealing otherwise!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"