Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Switching Daycare Cold Turkey?

LO has been in daycare since 3mo old (she's now 11mo). We are going to have to switch her to a new daycare, and I'm wondering how is the best way to do it to make it easier on her. She is attached to her teachers and used to the routine there. For those who have done a care transition around this age, what's your experience? Do we just do it cold turkey and let her cry it out until she gets used to it or is like a phased approach better, like 3 days old daycare, 2 days new daycare the week before moving her full time? Phased would mean paying for two daycares that week, but if it would make an easy transition we could deal with that. If it won't make a difference either way then we'd do cold turkey.
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Switching Daycare Cold Turkey?

• Options
    I never had to transition from one place to another but I agree with going cold turkey. I think that would help your LO get used to the new care givers and routine more quickly. It will probably be harder on you than it is on them. Kids that age are really adaptable. We just put our twin boys in daycare for the first time at 9 mos. Prior to that my DH stayed home (on a seasonal layoff). One of the little guys cried at first but by the time I picked them up both were happy and both have been happy at drop off after only a couple of days. Good luck!

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

• Options
    We were in the very same boat, but our daycare up and closed (permanently) with no warning. As in, we showed up on a Thursday to a sign on the door. He is back at his first daycare (we went there while we were on the waiting list for the one that closed) and even though he knew them, he still cried leaving him for a week or so. He's now fine when I leave. I think when they're this little, they adapt quicker.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok, thanks ladies! This helps, we'll just do it In one fell swoop.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    my LO was with a sitter from 2Mo to 8Mo and we had to switch because of an abusive situation. I did a transition where i was able to get her used to the new sitter (who only watches her) from the old sitter (who had to many children) . We made sure that we took things that she loves to the new sitter to get the transition. we have been there almost 3 months (LO is 11Mo) now and she is in love with the family (perfect amish family) and im not only blessed to have found them but to have made the switch. I think it is a topic in itself but may i ask why you go with a daycare over in home care?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"