Preemies

Another transfusion... Scared

Knox had a blood transfusion last Thursday because his red blood cell count was low. I know it's perfectly normal but it freaked me out.. He response well and his levels went up over the next few days. Then today the nurse came barreling in telling us his level were low again and that he probably needed another one. Then started talking about him seeing a pediatric hemotalogist (?) when discharged and possible bone marrow aspiration... Just her delivery freaked me out.. I know they have to give worse case scenarios, but I'm trying to stay positive that he just needs another kick start. Anybody else been through this? They said they are concerned because normally they don't need another transfusion for another month.., not a week.. Help my heart

Re: Another transfusion... Scared

• They are concerned about bone marrow not producing blood cells, but they mentioned that with the first transfusion because they are so little and can't produce fast enough. After the transfusion his levels started rising though.. Just all so much!
  • I was 27x5 and now he is 30x2.. He was 28x5 at his first transfusion... His identical brother hasn't needed anything...
  • Loading the player...
  • We are convinced everything is going to be fine.. He has been such a rockstar other than this "hiccup". I know it's the nurses job to give us all the scenarios... It's just tough to hear. But he's breathing and eating like a champ and is blowing up diapers like a rockstar, so things are working. Just need a deep breath and a lot of prayer to calm this mommy down. The bedside nurses in our unit rushed to my side after the nurse practitioner left and were much sweeter and optimistic and answered questions...
  • Exactly! I'm a very positive person and very much believe in the power of positive thinking and prayer.. I trying to be strong for my children.. But I'm not invincible...and as positive as I am about everything I still worry 24 hours a day... I don't need to panic if I don't need to panic
  • My daughter ended up getting 5 blood transfusions in her 83 days in the NICU.  She was 26w2d when she was born (her first transfusion was on her 2nd day of life), but then would get them every few weeks or so.  I have it written down somewhere in the office, but I know that it was 5.  She never needed to see a hematologist or anything.  I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about what may happen until something (if anything) actually happens.  I know that I would know about possible things down the road, but I had to literally give myself a mental pep-talk to not worry about something until they told me it was time to worry about something. 
    (((hugs))) I know that transfusions are pretty scary.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My DS had two transfusions while in the NICU and they were about a week apart.  The good news is, if they are close (within one month) they can use the same blood donor each time so your baby won't be exposed to multiple donors.  Also, the blood that the NICU receives is from long time donor's with a good track record (at least in my area) so it's "extra special blood."

Also, it doesn't sound like the nurse knows what she's talking about.  According to the neonatologist that worked with my twins, when blood is given to babies it shuts down the system (bone marrow) that produces more red blood cells, so it takes awhile for the system to get up and going again.  Also, babies don't typically produce their own red blood cells at a good rate until 34 weeks or so.  It's not a surprise that he needs help.  My DD was on the border of needing one for weeks because her body wasn't quite ready to take over fully. 

To help calm your nerves about the future, I would talk with the doctor and ask for more information.  The nurses are wonderful and knowledgeable, however I would go straight to the source when it comes to the future and what your DS will need.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"