Parenting after a Loss

Head Banging- Normal Toddler Behavior?

So, lately Ben has taken to banging his head on things- the window, walls, furniture, the floor. It is sometimes "tantrum" related, but honestly, I think he just likes it?! He's not hitting his head hard enough to hurt himself (I don't think) as he doesn't cry, and there's the whole fact that he keeps doing it, lol! 

All moms who are wise in the way of toddler behavior- is this normal? Should I be concerned? 

PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
 Lilypie - (KAFM)

Re: Head Banging- Normal Toddler Behavior?

• DS did this for a brief period mostly in his crib after naps and while playing (weirded me out totally).  It did not last long for us.

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yep, normal.
    BFP #1, 12/22/09 - DD#1 born 9/2010
    BFP #2, 12/12/11, m/c 12/25/11
    BFP #3, 3/09/12, CP 3/10/12
    BFP #4, 7/22/12, DD#2 born 4/2013

• Loading the player...
  • DS1 will still do this from time to time.. especially if really sleepy.. he'll sit and "rock" and bang his head in his crib.. my pedi actually said for babies who were rocked a lot as infants, it's quite common for them to head bang, or some other form of stemming, as a toddler because they're used to the rhythmic motion as a way to soothe them..

It still is hard to watch.. pedi said not to address it, just ignore it.. but, when I see him whacking his head against the crib, I can't help myself but have to tell him to stop.. it's been off and on for about 6 months for us.. maybe a couple times a week I'll catch him doing it.. blah!  Hoping it passes soon!
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Totally normal.  And it isn't always tantrum related, I agree.  DS has taken to smacking himself in the head with his hands, on his highchair, etc.  When he's tantruming it's totally different.  He'll sit in his highchair and throw his head back against the back fo the chair as hard as he can and then laugh hysterically.  I think he's just being a little bit of a goofball.  No worries, this appears to be totally normal.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• Thanks, ladies! I figured as much but wanted the benefit of your infinite wisdom!
    PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
    You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
     Lilypie - (KAFM)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"