VBAC

Anyone who did not try for vbac?

My doctor has given me the option of vbac. I have read up on the pros. Is there anyone who decided against a vbac even if given the option? If so, what were the reasons? Are there any cons with vbac? Thanks

Re: Anyone who did not try for vbac?

• I would ask this on the csection board. I think most of the woman here either have had or want a vbac.
  • The biggest con with VBAC is the risk of uterine rupture.  Because of this, VBAC carries more than double the risk of fetal death--but it's important to remember that this is still a very small risk.  Approximately 0.7% of VBAC moms will experience a rupture, and only about 6% of that 0.7 will result in fetal death (assuming you have access to a timely cesarean).  There is also the risk that your VBAC attempt will still result in an unplanned c/s.  Medically this is tough on the mom and baby, and it can be emotionally hard too.  Aside from that, VBAC carries all the same pros and cons of any other vaginal birth.

Keep in mind that RCS also has pros and cons.  RCS triples the risk of maternal death, but again you are still looking at very small numbers.  It is surgery, so there are risks of infection, etc.  If you are planning to have more children, multiple repeat cesareans carry additional risk, whereas multiple VBACs actually become less risky, so that is something else to consider.

It really comes down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with, medically and emotionally.  GL with your choice.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"