January 2014 Moms

Itching breasts during feeding?

Hey all, newbie with a question here. I searched the board and didn't find anything that seemed similar to what I am experiencing, so I hope this isn't a repeat post! 

I'm having a weird burning, itching sensation during breast feeding, usually after about 10 minutes of feeding. It's not in my nipples or on the surface anywhere, but seems to be deep in the tissue, kind of like when you have an itch in your palm or the sole of your foot (but worse). I don't seem to have any visible symptoms (no redness, lumps, swelling, etc.) and no fever. Because it occurs so late into a feed I don't think it's let down, but it's too early to be a signal that I'm all empty.

Does anyone have any experience/advice they can lend? In your experience is this a normal (albeit strange) part of the breastfeeding process? TIA!
imageimageimage
Tino--Already 4 months old!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Itching breasts during feeding?

• Not sure the answer to this but this happens to me too. It itches for a bit then goes away. I'm guessing it's normal
  • mrsjennimrsjenni member
    edited February 2014
    It does sound like let down which causes a tingly feeling throughout your breasts. Usually you feel this several times during a feeding. It doesn't hurt though (usually) it just feels similar to your hand falling asleep or something.

I know you mentioned it not being let down, but I feel it 4-5 times depending on how long DD nurses.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • Mine get really itchy as well sometimes...maybe it has to do with the skin stretching when we are really full, like before feedings? I don't know...I would guess it's pretty normal though...I've experienced it before when nursing my other kids...
  • mrsjenni said:
    It does sound like let down which causes a tingly feeling throughout your breasts. Usually you feel this several times during a feeding. It doesn't hurt though (usually) it just feels similar to your hand falling asleep or something. I know you mentioned it not being let down, but I feel it 4-5 times depending on how long DD nurses.
    Did you notice it when you first started breastfeeding? As in, from the first time you ever fed your baby? I only started noticing it about 3 days ago is why I ask.
    imageimageimage

• Babychuu said:

mrsjenni said:

It does sound like let down which causes a tingly feeling throughout your breasts. Usually you feel this several times during a feeding. It doesn't hurt though (usually) it just feels similar to your hand falling asleep or something.

I know you mentioned it not being let down, but I feel it 4-5 times depending on how long DD nurses.

Did you notice it when you first started breastfeeding? As in, from the first time you ever fed your baby? I only started noticing it about 3 days ago is why I ask.

Nope! DD is 3 weeks old today and I just started feeling a stronger let down recently.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Ooooh, ok! I didn't realize that let down could or would get stronger. LO just went through a bit of a growth spurt 3 days ago, so maybe that's why it's stronger now...

Thanks for all the help ladies!!
    imageimageimage

• Thanks for asking this and thanks for your insight @mrsjenni. I just had this happen to me today too and baby girl is 3 weeks old.

• That was just a suggestion and I hope that's what it is, but @AmyG* may have more insight... she's the pro! ;)

• I'm glad it's not just me!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 4/2/13

DS born 12/19/13

• I get an inch on my left side but not the right. Like an itch I can't scratch. And it almost tickles kind of itch. It just started about two weeks ago and doesn't happen every time she eats but it only itches when she eats. It is a weird feeling. I don't worry only because I have no idea what it is but it doesn't hurt, isn't red or anything and Abby keeps eating so it isn't anything getting in her way. I know that isn't helpful but just another person going through something similar.

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I agree with the letdown theory. And I just started to feel it last week too, at a bit before 4 weeks.
  • I think it's definitely your letdown
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Same here. I noticed it in the past week ! Just get really itchy . Interesting, cose this is my 6. Child and I never had it before
  • I think it's letdown pain. I just recently starting feeling it myself.
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My armpits always itch. Feeding or pumping they get itchy about halfway through the feeding/pumping session.

• Dr. Google made it out to be something awful, as always (Mastitis! Thrush! Cancer!). I'll ask on the breastfeeding sticky as well, but I feel better knowing that others experience it too and it hasn't turned into something bad. 
    imageimageimage

• Happens to me. I initially thought it was DD's latch and it touching on nerves to make it itchy. It tickles for like 5 mins on the right, but not left boob. Never thought about it being letdown. Probably is.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Evidence to back up the let down theory would be that baby will start taking long hauls rather than rapid sucking. Also, if it is a second or third let down you should hear them start to swallow more milk since the flow likely will have slowed before this let down.
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"