Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Colds & socializing

In your opinion, if your child has a cold, should they be isolated (stay at home) until it passes, or should they continue to do their regular activies that involve being around other children, considering they othewise feel & look fine?

Re: Colds & socializing

• If they are energetic enough continue on as normal.

If we locked ourselves away every time our child had a common cold we'd, well, we'd be locked away much of the year.

Colds happen, they are not life threatening so there is no need to hide out.  It is common courtesy to give a head's up if visiting someone with young children as they may prefer to postpone.  As well, do all the usual hand washing etc., to try and prevent the spread.  Bring lots of Kleenex with you.

If your child has the flu or another communicable illness then do your best to avoid social events until they are not contagious (which is more often before the symptoms are notable than after).

• =Lee=B said:

If they are energetic enough continue on as normal.

If we locked ourselves away every time our child had a common cold we'd, well, we'd be locked away much of the year.

Colds happen, they are not life threatening so there is no need to hide out.  It is common courtesy to give a head's up if visiting someone with young children as they may prefer to postpone.  As well, do all the usual hand washing etc., to try and prevent the spread.  Bring lots of Kleenex with you.

If your child has the flu or another communicable illness then do your best to avoid social events until they are not contagious (which is more often before the symptoms are notable than after).

I agree with you, I just want to make sure I'm not "that mom" that ppl hate because she brought her kid out who has a cold. Not sure what the social etiquette is.
  • Loading the player...
  • A mom brought a baby to our play group last month who had a cold...there were also babies as young as 3 months there. DD ended up getting sick from her, and so did I, and I'm pregnant, so I was miserable and sick for 3 weeks. I wish she would have skipped and saved us the germs!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I don't think they should stay home for all social events, but in situations where the babies share toys, I'd rather babies with colds skip (or tell me they have colds so we can not share toys or leave if it's baby gym). My lo gets ear infections pretty much every time she gets a cold so while some babies may not be affected it is really annoying when there's an obviously sick baby playing with the same toys and then a few days later she has their cold and then another ear infection. But I understand you can't stay home at every cold, so I say as long as toys aren't shared, I think it's fine!
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree with others that as long as they aren't sharing toys then that's ok if they are there but otherwise stay home.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Colds are going to happen, regardless. For me, give a heads up if they have a cold. But anything more than a cold like fever, moody, or throwing up, stay home. My son has restrictive airway disease  (asthma but they wont call it that until hes old enough to do more tests) we have it well under control, but when he gets a cold he usually needs some albuterol to help the wheezing. Otherwise he is fine. But, we can't keep him in a bubble for ever.
    Erica

1st baby boy born 3.14.13
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CharlieCheeksVinyl
    Thenewnorms.blogspot.com
  • I think that playdates and other non necessary things should be postponed.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"