August 2013 Moms
Options

BFing and Caffeine

Any of you bfing mom's have issues with caffeine? As most of you know, E is a terrible sleeper, waking up around 6 or 7 times a night. She usually eats twice a night, which I'm fine with, but the other 5ish times she is up is usually just having to go in and put her pacifier back in her mouth. I've tried almost everything I can think of to try to get her to sleep better. I haven't really taken I to consideration my caffeine intake, because I really don't drink much. I only drink 1 cup of coffee a day and only drink pop when we are put to dinner.

She sleeps okay during the day. I'm not really sure how long it takes for caffeine to get into my milk, so I may be way off base, but I'm going to try to cut it out for a bit and see if there are any changes.
I guess my question is, what were some of the things you noticed when you realized caffeine was a problem? How long did it take for you to notice a difference after you cut it out? 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BFing and Caffeine

• Options
    Some days I have a coffee ; max two coffees. Haven't noticed much difference with lo's naps or night sleeping with days I do have caffeine vs days I don't.

Interested if you notice a difference so try to report back. :)
  • Options
    The twins don't react to caffeine but my big one did. He spit up a ton, so I stopped drinking coffee until after we went down to 2x a day. He was and still is an epically shitty sleeper.

Give it a shot, you never know.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have noticed better sleep ever since I reduced my caffeine intake significantly. I only drink about 1/2 mug of coffee a day, as opposed to about 2 mugs previously. 

FWIW, I've also turned off the TV later in the day and I've seen better sleep with her. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I'm too scared to turn it on again. 

*knocks on wood* *crosses fingers I haven't jinxed myself*

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    I quit altogether while PG except for a occasional DP. I started up again when DD was 2-3 mos and never noticed a difference.

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options

I have noticed better sleep ever since I reduced my caffeine intake significantly. I only drink about 1/2 mug of coffee a day, as opposed to about 2 mugs previously. 

FWIW, I've also turned off the TV later in the day and I've seen better sleep with her. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I'm too scared to turn it on again. 

Related to TV watching - we cut my big one off from all electronics before dinner and noticed a drastic improvement in his sleep. He was waking at least once 5-6x a week and now it's down to 1-2x a week.

• Options
    I'm too scared to try! Lol haven't purposely had any since BFP
  • Options
    Caffeine doesn't bother LO. I've done it both ways with no difference.
  • Options
    I drink quite a bit of coffee. None of my kids seemed impacted by it at all while nursing. I drink 2-3 big cups a day and dd has been sttn since about 2 months.
  • Options
    I drink three cups half caffeine coffee and never noticed a change. (Except in my alertness level when I don't get any coffee). I remember reading about caffeine lasting nearly all day in BM.
  • Options
    I haven't noticed a change if I have caffeine. That being said, when I do have caffeine it's usually not very much.

Of course I've officially jinxed myself now and she'll never sleep again.

• Options
    I EFF so I am not much help, but it couldn't hurt to try right? Worst thing that could happen is nothing changes. Give it a shot!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My lo is caffeine sensitive, I tried to drink some but notice a difference within the day with more crying, irritably and less sleep.

Lo doesn't sleep well at night but he was up more frequently than usual.

I think I read somewhere it takes five days to get all caffeine out of bm everything was a blur I am just happy it's over so I am not sure how long it took
  • Options
    Little guy is caffeine sensitive, I could see caffeine affect him within a couple hours, it was harder for him to settle and he was fussier. I can now finally drink about a half a coffee (although I only do it about once a week) and it doesn't seem to affect him as much, but him being 20lbs helps I'm sure.
    image image

• Options
    I posted this same thing in early January. I cut out all caffeine for 3 weeks and saw no change. My LO was also waking up every.single.hour! No exaggeration! She would ONLY go back to sleep if I nursed- it was a sleep association.
    I know I'll get flamed for this, but we let her cry/fuss it out for ONE night about 10 days ago...after one night she was putting herself to sleep with maybe a whimper and has been sleeping 10-13 hrs a night. The first night, she fussed for 30 min on/off before passing out. We've had a few nights where I've fed her in the middle of night and gotten up to chsnge her...but she has only woken 1 time or less each night...compared to 5-8 times!
    She also refused to sleep in her crib before this...but she loves her crib now!
    I know this isn't popular on the bump but it worked great for us- fixed the sleep association, she's sleeping great, and if she wakes hungry or with a dirty diaper- I don't ignore her!

Cutting out caffeine may work for you, but I didn't notice a difference with my LO. Good luck!
  • Options

I agree with cutting out the t.v. We never "let" LO watch T.V. But it's often going in the background and she always tries to look from wherever she's at. But we now have it off the few hrs before bed and have stuck to a consistent bedtime routine the past two weeks, in addition to letting her fuss it out for one night (see above post) and I think it has all made a difference! Especially the bath...as soon as she's done with her bath, she is ready to sleep!
    Sorry I went off topic, but all this helped us. :o)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"