Bedsharing on vacation — The Bump
Attachment Parenting

Bedsharing on vacation

We are planning a short trip in March. LO will be 3 months old. So far, he will not sleep on his own for more than 2-3 hours a night. I'm nervous about bedsharing at a hotel because thee's so much I can't control, like the firmness of the mattress or position of the bed. I would appreciate any advice you can share. Here's what I'm thinking:
Get a room with 2 beds, so I'm on the edge and LO is as far from the other end as possible. My husband can have the other bed to himself.
Bring my own blanket from home (I use a thin twin size blanket so there's no fluff to get in the way).
Should I bring a bedrail? 
Is it likely that LO will be willing to sleep all night in a pack and play by 3 months? 
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Bedsharing on vacation

• I would probably bed share over a PnP, if that's what LO is used to. Everything you said as far as safety sounds good. If you don't want to buy a bedrail, you can use a pool noodle under the sheet on the edge of the bed. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    kristinyoung111
  • Our plan was for him to sleep in our room in the PnP from the start. He disagreed :) I forgot about the pool noodle. Thanks!
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • LOL, I understand... our PnP is still set up next to our bed...never used...a year later!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I am working on a blog post on this, but it isn't done yet. Your two bed strategy is what we normally do. We move a bed to the location that best suits us, like in a corner. At 3 months, I personally am not wild about baby in the corner with adult on the outside for the whole night because of baby possibly getting trapped if adult scoots during sleep, but I think that the corner works well for nap because there are fewer surfaces to fall from and you are not sleeping, too.  For night, I'd put me by the wall and do cuddle-curl with baby and do pool noodle on the outside or pit another piece of furniture that is breathable there (like an arm chair). Another option for a baby that small is to bring a moses basket or clothes hamper and put it between you two on the bed. Personally, I've never encountered a too soft mattress on vacation. The bigger issue is headboards with gaps. But, you can shove rolled towels in those in creative ways, if needed.

• When we traveled over Christmas, we got a room with 2 queens. Our older 2 kids slept in one bed, and dh and I moved the other mattress onto the floor and kept baby in between us.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards