Secondary IF

Embryo transfer and so, so sick. - UPDATE

lucky7wifelucky7wife member
edited February 2014 in Secondary IF
So I caught a cold a week and a half ago and since I was stimming, no meds to help it move along. I thought I was better but I seem to be relapsing. I have a dry cough that is super painful, won't quit and keeps me from sleeping.

I went to the doc today to be sure I didn't have an infection. I got the all clear, they said it was just a virus. My RE keeps saying it won't matter, but I can't help worrying that being sick and doing an embryo transfer (tomorrow) is a recipe for disaster.

Anyone been sick for a transfer before?

And, any home remedies for coughing? Drops aren't helping.
Trying for #2 with IVF after damage done in a D&C left me with one functioning (but too scarred) ovary and tube to get pregnant safely without assistance. It's a really, really long story, but that is the gist of it.  We have one daughter (whose c-section birth started this roller coaster) born in 2012 after a miscarriage in 2011. 
Failed 1st attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 3, 1 frozen embryo saved) in December 2013.  
Failed 2nd attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 5, 2 frozen embryos saved) in February 2014.

Re: Embryo transfer and so, so sick. - UPDATE

• No experience with transfers, but I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. You have enough to worry about without a nasty cold hanging around. Good luck tomorrow!
  • Oh but home remedies for cough- cold humidity. Bundle up as breathe outside, or if it's not cold where you are, breathe in some freezer air. The cold humidity always seems to calm dry coughing for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks annibees. I live in Wisconsin, so it's super cold here - but it just aggravates it for me. I did borrow my daughter's humidifier.
    Trying for #2 with IVF after damage done in a D&C left me with one functioning (but too scarred) ovary and tube to get pregnant safely without assistance. It's a really, really long story, but that is the gist of it.  We have one daughter (whose c-section birth started this roller coaster) born in 2012 after a miscarriage in 2011. 
    Failed 1st attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 3, 1 frozen embryo saved) in December 2013.  
    Failed 2nd attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 5, 2 frozen embryos saved) in February 2014.
  • Hopefully that helps!
  • Warm water, honey, and lemon.

Humidifier/ vaporizer

Vicks rub.

Good luck!

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• Oh no, I hope that you feel better soon!! Annibes and KC had good suggestions.
  • This is crazy, did you already have your transfer? Didn't they give you antibiotics when you were stimming? I guess all places are different, but my place absolutely will not do a transfer if you are sick in any way, I was told it greatly decreases your chances of success. 

Are you OOP? If I was OOP for a cycle, I think I would probably just do a freeze with the "better safe than sorry" mentality. I would hate to do a transfer and have it in the back of my mind that it might not work because I'm sick. That would drive me nuts- and I am a person who's motto is- It doesn't matter what you do, if it's meant to work, it will work. This is one thing my clinic drilled into my head. :( 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh sorry you're not feeling well :(. I hate to say it, but my RE also mentioned only doing a transfer if I'm healthy.

Two DDs 10/08 and 08/10, no primary IF
    TTC #3 since 10/2011 - dx unexplained/weak ovulation
     3 BFN clomid + TI cycles, 5 BFN clomid/gonal f IUIs, 1 mmc IUI
    2/19/2014 IVF #1 Unexpected low E2 (oversuppressed) -> increased to max doses = 3 or 4 follicles, converting to IUI
    BFFP Saw 1 beautiful heartbeat at 6w6d, follow up u/s at 9w showed mmc. Eff this.
    NTNP 5/2014-9/2014, OPKs and TI 10/2014 - 1/2015. 
    RPL testing all normal, AFC, AMH, and FSH all normal. 
    IVF 1.2 1/22/2014 natural cycle start, AFC 28, 300 gonal f/150menopur. 
    ER 2/3/15 14R 8M 3F w/ICSI Day 5 transfer on 2/8/15 of one "Grade A+" blast and have TWO frosties! 

• I've asked the question over and over. They keep saying as long as I didn't have a fever (I haven't) and it's just a virus, then there is no issue. Even the doc said that today. I had a chest x-ray and everything - just a virus.

We are totally OOP, so yes, this scares me greatly. I'll definitely be having a big discussion before transfer tomorrow with them about it.
  • Yes, big discussion! They get their money wether insurance or OOP and seriously, just mentally stressing about this can effect your chances! Not to be a Debbie downer, but I think your reservations are founded!
    Mucinex (just to make sure congestion doesn't start to build up in chest), humidity, hot showers, teas!
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Embryo transfer today (happy Valentines!). We ended up only transferring one (3 were grade A blastocysts, two needed another day to see). My RE had previously recommended we do two this time, but then when my Hubby started asking questions, he suddenly remembered my story. After checking my chart he was all "absolutely not! Only one embryo." I'm a little frustrated that I've spent a month thinking transferring two would give us a better chance. The RE apologized profusely and was embarrassed at the oversight, but it's still frustrating.

He was 100% positive that the cold virus I have has no impact on the outcome. Thanks for all your advice and thoughts - I seem to be on the mend today.

Anyway, hoping this cycle works and baby sticks! Beta on 2/24.
  • lucky7wife - I got my FX for you! 

• Good luck! I hope this is it for you! What was the reason they said you could only xfer 1? Don't sweat it too much, the % difference is so small for one vs. two, you really only need one good grade blasts, and it sounds like you got it :) 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Fingers crossed!!

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

• @mrs Castillo - the reason I can only have one is bc of the rupture to my uterus during the botched d&c (see profile). It was on the top end of my uterus, which is what does the contractions. So, the fear with any pregnancy is a re-rupture of that scar should I go into labor. (This isn't a factor with c-section scars bc they are lower) a multiple pregnancy would potentially put too much stress on my uterus and be dangerous. This is what were told before starting IVF, but my doc forgot when he made a recommendation to us after out last failed cycle.

I wish I could transfer more, as there is a very real possibility my next c-section could lead to a hysterectomy bc of all the scar tissue and damage.
  • Feel better!!! I've just gotten over being so so sick so I totally sympathize with you!
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"