Adoption
Options

Update on us- AW and LONG

Not sure if anyone wants an update- may be kinda AW with this but I'd love it if my experience helped anyone else.

I have been doing pretty well emotionally, managing the grief much better and feeling so much more joy than I had anticipated since placing my beautiful daughter.  I get pictures by text and updates several times a week and have been visiting once a week for a couple hours when I take breast milk I am pumping for her. I honestly couldn't imagine going through this grief without the regular reassurance that my daughter is doing well and that I get to be a part of her life forever. The hardest part is missing her, and knowing my next visit isn't months away eases that pain significantly. Because my daughter's parents are so loving and open to me, I make a point to be conscientious of their privacy, independence as a family, and needs. And when we're together they say how happy they are she has so much love and they have someone who wants to listen to their parenting wins and woe's. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I thought I'd share from my perspective for those who are on the fence. I love pumping for her and nursing when I visit because she still needs me and it helps her health significantly.

She has had some pretty significant digestive issues and every formula, store-bought and home-made, have made her very ill. Fortunately she is getting better every day since they stopped mixing in formula and she gets 100% breast milk. Part of her newborn screening came back abnormal, so they think that either she or I could have a metabolic disorder called carnitine uptake deficiency.  I've been praying that I have it, since she couldn't (it's autosomal recessive) and it can be very serious for infants and children, but it seems that's mostly if untreated. It would explain some of my health issues through life, but could also explain her digestive issues. The waiting game for tests to come back has been scary, but her mom and I have found so much solace in each other since getting the initial results.

I'm at a place where I enjoy talking about my experience and want to use it to help others, so if anyone has any questions feel free to post or PM me. Prayers would also be appreciated as we wait for her test results to come back.
Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

Re: Update on us- AW and LONG

• Options
    Sending prayers baby girl's way! She is so lucky to have two mothers who love her and look out for her.
    10/27/07
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm so sorry that you are all waiting to hear about a scary medical situation. Sending you prayers!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I'm glad you're feeling ok and that your relationships are developing well. Thinking good thoughts for treating LO (and your) health issues.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, I've been thinking of you all! Definitely scary to have medical questions like that. I hope that you can get answers soon. Happy to hear you are settling into a sweet relationship with everyone post-placement :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"