January 2013 Moms

Toddler Bed

I guess this is a question mainly for those with older LO's, but any input would be helpful! When did you switch (or plan to switch) to a toddler bed?

We've got a couple crib-related issues going on with DD right now...

The first issue is that she's a major climber, and has been for months. She's already able to climb up (and down) most of the furniture in the house. So far she hasn't been able to climb out of her crib, but that's largely because she's so short (she's only 28 inches). But I've caught her multiple times trying to, so I'm worried it's only a matter of time before she has the strength to pull herself up on the rail enough to get over. Obviously a major cause for panic!

A second, related issue is that she has become very attached to her Gloworm lately and HAS to sleep with it every night. She had always been really good about getting herself to sleep on her own. We don't have a strict bedtime for her, but wait for her to start letting us know she's sleepy. But lately she's not falling asleep right away, and is instead playing around in her crib for a while. Often she decides to test gravity and tosses Glo over the rails to see what happens (usually it makes Glo's music and light come on). But once she realizes she can't get Glo back, she either starts crying hysterically and won't stop until she gets Glo back, or she tries to rescue Glo herself (which means trying to climb over the rails). 

We've tried having her go to bed without Glo, but it always results in crying that was way beyond the CIO level (which normally we're fine with), so she ends up getting too worked up to fall asleep.

So we're thinking it might be time for the toddler rail to get put on her crib. Her room is completely baby-proofed (unless she learns to scale the walls), and she sleeps with her bedroom door closed, so we wouldn't have to worry about midnight strolls around the house. The only thing that makes us hesitant to go ahead and do it is that she still moves around a lot in her sleep. She is never in the same place, or even same direction, as when she goes to bed. However, I think falling the maybe one foot out of bed is much better that the three feet over the rail!

Do you think (almost) 14 months is too young for the toddler bed? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Toddler Bed

• No I say go for it as I have been thinking about it myself. Its whatever is safest and falling out of her crib is way more dangerous. I would put the mattress on the floor and see how she does with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's never too early to try, some are ready early while others aren't and the only way to know for sure is to try it. It will take some time to get them used to the sleep portion, as they have a new found freedom and will walk around and play with things. With DS we tried at 18 months because we wanted the crib for DD, but he just wasn't ready. We tried again around 2 years and he took to it after a few days. Hope it goes well! It's much better than having her fall out of the crib on a rescue mission!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • E has been sleeping in a toddler bed for about 2 weeks now. She has taken to it great and we have had no issues at all. I feel a lot better with her sleeping in it, than her falling out of her crib. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers ellie
  • We're moving to the toddler bed this weekend. 

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• Oh my god, the thought of moving DS into a toddler bed gives me an anxiety attack just thinking about it!!! I can not imagine the mischief he would make while we were sleeping!!!! haha

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• I would love to move DS to a floor bed.... I think everyone in the house might actually sleep better that way. I just have to clean up the nursery/office/guestroom/junkroom up a lot first.
  • I had to do a little reorganizing in DD's room yesterday because she finally truly understands that she can just get out of her bed whenever she wants! So now the only mischief she can get into is read the couple books we leave in her room every night after her bedtime story!

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"