April 2014 Moms

CD ladies

I had a lot of mamas direct me to the Facebook group The Cloth Diaper Compendium... There seems to be a lot of drama going on there in regards to some fire scam. Does anyone have the full story, or have any idea what's actually going on? I asked this same question and my comment got deleted and then I got banned!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: CD ladies

• No but I was wondering what is going on! I just got a notification that the page is closing?
  • Found this on another board on another site:

"I hope this is allowed, but I figured I'd share this information in the off chance that someone here may be a victim of this scam.

I'm sure a lot of people on here have heard of "The Cloth Diaper Compendium" on Facebook. The owner of the group, Kate Shabanov, claimed to have an apartment fire a few months back. The group consists of over 16 thousand members and a lot of them joined together and donated food and items. Thanks to the Cloth Diaper Scams Victim's Supports page it was proven that the fire never happened. They have audio recordings of her local police and fire stations stating that no such fire happened. The leasing agency of her condo also confirmed there was never a fire. 

Since the scam reached multiple states (and even countries) it's not under local jurisdiction. You can file a report here if you were a victim of this scam. https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Kate is also a Co-op owner and has been scamming people out of diapers there. She has been taking orders and then after weeks of not sending them out she says she can't afford to ship then and when people want a refund she charges them a restocking fee!

If anyone on the Cloth Diaper Compendium even mentions the fire Kate is deleting the comments and banning them. There are thousands of people on there who don't know what is going on and Kate just keeps saying it's a "facebook glitch" deleting things. Right. lol. There used to be multiple admins on the page and they all left after this came out.

I just thought it'd be nice to spread the word in case anyone was a victim!"

image VOTE on my Name List
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @pannk thanks!
    I pieced together some of that. I saw a YouTube video of someone confirming no fire with the local fire station! That's horrible! I also saw a bunch of people claiming her ways (cascade soak for hard water) are horrible and that people just went with it because it was such a large group. I'm glad I haven't prepped my diapers yet. @mamafantastic posted a great prep routine but I didn't save it, and have no idea what thread it was under...MF do you recall the post I'm talking about?

BabyFetus Ticker

• There is also something going on about her telling people to use powder dishwasher detergent to strip diapers and apparently its ruining the diapers? That was posted by the owner of bumGenius and the BG owner is telling everyone that its not a good idea and don't take her advice.
  • KHendy27 said:

There is also something going on about her telling people to use powder dishwasher detergent to strip diapers and apparently its ruining the diapers? That was posted by the owner of bumGenius and the BG owner is telling everyone that its not a good idea and don't take her advice.

Yea that's the cascade soak that was recommended.

BabyFetus Ticker

• edited February 2014
    Have you also checked out the CD board on here? The ladies over there are so awesome and helpful.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Mamamonzo I don't know what prep routine MF recommended, but I just did one wash and dry for my microfiber diapers.  For natural diapers, they recommend that you wash and dry them several times to fluff them up and make them really absorbent.  I think I washed my 3 times.  Any CD safe detergent (or regular Tide) will work.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Is All free and clear ok to use or should it be tide?

BabyFetus Ticker

• The best way to tell if a detergent is "ok" is to try it and see how it works. So much depends on your water. Traditionally free and clear detergents, tide or otherwise, were a no go. But people have used them with success, too.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MF's way was to boil the diapers for a while and then wash them only once, since the boiling did most of the work.  Only for prefolds and flats though.

Cloth diaper board here told me to go with tide powder - apparently some people are okay with All free and clear but lots of people had trouble with it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh no no, definitely not me.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • here's a great chart on detergents:

(funny enough, i have a few new cotton fitted diapers that i'm prepping now...  they are currently in the washing machine for round 6, and aren't quiiiiiite ready yet.  maybe this cycle or one more will do the trick.)
  • It DID seem like a cult I joined to see what the fuss was about and never posted anything. Everyone that contradicted anything was immediately flamed. They even mentioned the bump CD ladies as "stuck up bitches" I was like HEY!!!!! Thanks @mamafantastic for reposting your prep routine! I appreciate it! :x

BabyFetus Ticker

• Me! I liked the group for advocating Tide and a normal wash routine but I didn't get into all that cascade soak business and I have no idea what's going on with all the drama (well I do now thanks to the post above). I actually left the group awhile ago. I still swear by a good amount of Tide in the wash routine, it hasn't let me down for a few years.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • I was a fan, it was 16,000 women who all gave advice that seemed to work. I joined the spin off group that has nothing to do with Kate. The drama is crazy!! Seriously, it's hit every board, coop and B/S/T group I've looked at.

imageimageimage
  • Ooo, thanks for all this info. I was about to unpack all my CD's and get them ready!

I have super sensitive skin and have only ever been able to use F&C detergents and sometimes tide.. If I'm lucky and it's the right season.. I'm hoping lo will be okay with what I pick. DH has no skin issues at all but my side of the fam is a mess - my dad was topically allergic to water when he was born. (He could drink it, but my g-ma had to make sure it didn't stay on his lips at all...) Lol. I'm having to prep for things I never imagined! ;)

I have about 15 bumgenius 4.0 all in ones, and I have a few gDiapers. I got some organic dispisables too, just incase babes was under the 8lbs when we come home.

Any general FTM cloth diapering advice? Really good tips?

DH is installing a sprayer on our upstairs potty & he ordered one of those splash guard things, lol.. He's finally 'on board' with it, but I think he's scared. Are your DH's & SO's good to go? Old pros at it?

Thanks in advance!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

image  image image

• I asked our new city what the water was like, soft, hard etc... they sent me back numbers I dont understand lol... maybe you guys can help.

hardness .719 grains per gallon, calcium .567 gpg
  • I prep pockets in a similar way. I have a FL washer so I cold rinse (supposed to be a soak but I don't have that function) then I do a soapy hot wash followed by 2x cold rinse. Then I hang them dry (no dryer, but you are supposed to tumble dry the during the prepping stage only).

The inserts I boil for 30 min before washing with soap and cold rinsing x2. These new inserts are a blend of MF and Bamboo but I did the same routine for my MF ones.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @melzh411 This is from Wikipedia...

Hard/soft classification

Because it is the precise mixture of minerals dissolved in the water, together with the water's pH and temperature, that determine the behavior of the hardness, a single-number scale does not adequately describe hardness. However, the United States Geological Survey uses the following classification into hard and soft water,[19]

Classification hardness in mg/L hardness in mmol/L hardness in dGH/°dH hardness in gpg
    Soft 0–60 0–0.60 0.3-3.00 0-3.50
    Moderately hard 61–120 0.61–1.20 3.72-6.75 3.56-7.01
    Hard 121–180 1.21–1.80 6.78–10.08 7.06-10.51
    Very hard ≥ 181 ≥ 1.81 ≥ 10.14 ≥ 10.57
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was a fan, it was 16,000 women who all gave advice that seemed to work. I joined the spin off group that has nothing to do with Kate. The drama is crazy!! Seriously, it's hit every board, coop and B/S/T group I've looked at.
    I was a fan as well. I do agree that it was a bit intense (especially when people would give contradictory advice) but overall it was very helpful. The new group (The Cloth Diaper Asylum, if anyone is interested) still endorses the same info given in TCDC, except for the cascade soaks. It's the same admins minus Kate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• hordol said:
    I was a fan, it was 16,000 women who all gave advice that seemed to work. I joined the spin off group that has nothing to do with Kate. The drama is crazy!! Seriously, it's hit every board, coop and B/S/T group I've looked at.
    I was a fan as well. I do agree that it was a bit intense (especially when people would give contradictory advice) but overall it was very helpful. The new group (The Cloth Diaper Asylum, if anyone is interested) still endorses the same info given in TCDC, except for the cascade soaks. It's the same admins minus Kate.

Ya, I already like it much better.

imageimageimage
  • I was in it too - major sketchy! Check out what was posted today! (Image below)
  • Thanks Airyn!
  • Where can I find the cd board here?
  • speechie517speechie517 member
    edited February 2014
    I had cloth diaper dreams/ nightmares all night. That is, when I wasn't awake peeing.

edit (posted in wrong thread)

• Well this post is a bit old but I just heard about the Cloth Diaper Compendium and then read up on the scam. Here is something I found, it's the most descriptive I've found and has quotes and screenshots of the things said by Kate herself.
  • J&NLJ&NL member
    That happened months ago. Now there is another group of pretty much the same ladies. The cloth diaper symposium.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"