May 2014 Moms
Options

Things I wish I knew before my C-Section

1) When there are concerns about baby's or mom's safety, you would be amazed how quickly they can get that baby out.
2) An emergency situation may mean being put under general anesthesia for the C-section.
3) The OR is wicked cold.
4) Assuming baby is OK, most OBs are fine with handing the baby over to you while still in the OR, and if that is what you want, it's worth mentioning in advance.
5) Post C-section bleeding is about the same as a vaginal delivery.
6) They make you fart before you can eat, and poop before you can leave.
7) Your milk may take an extra 1-2 days to come in.
8) Baby may cough up/choke on fluids since they aren't squeezed out during labor.
9) Most docs use staples on the outer incision, they pull them out with big tweezers before you leave, and it doesn't hurt too badly.

Anyone have anything else to add? I was so blindsided by my C-section, I wish I had known these things so I could mentally prepare.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

Re: Things I wish I knew before my C-Section

• Options
    Empireceo said:

Re: #9, my outer incision was closed by glue which eventually flaked off. No staples for me!

The sooner you get up and walk, the better you will feel. It'll work out the farts.

Yes! Walking! I was back and forth to the NICU with my first, but ended up in bed nursing my second like 80% of my stay - recovery was much faster with my first.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agreed - thank you for posting!
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    #6 is not true, at least not anywhere I've worked. Thank goodness - that would really prolong stays!

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • Options
    It took almost a year before I felt 100 percent. The initial healing wasn't too bad but I felt like I was only about 75 percent for a long time afterwards. And it was about 6 months or more before I could intensely work out.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    Empireceo said:

Re: #9, my outer incision was closed by glue which eventually flaked off. No staples for me!

The sooner you get up and walk, the better you will feel. It'll work out the farts.

OMG the gas. Mine got trapped in my chest. And apparently you shouldn't drink anything through a straw. Didn't find that out until the awesome nurse I had my second day in. They sent them up with my meals, I had no idea. She was an angel in scrubs.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Didn't make me poop either. Also I didn't have staples. I felt like my son was more congested than normal for the first couple months, possibly because excess fluid was never pushed out without a vaginal delivery. The nasal snot sucker from amazon helped a lot. One of the harder parts of my c-section was peeing on my own after the catheter removal. I've never had surgery and wasn't used to the sensation of an extremely full uncomfortable bladder, but being unable to pee. Taking small frequent walks ASAP helped my recovery. The abdominal binder helped me leaning/bending up and down, but I couldn't wear it too long or it would give me a stomach ache. The OR people were really nice about putting extra blankets on my chest/arms so I didn't feel too cold. After laboring with failure to descend for about 20 hours, I was ready to eat a meal right after surgery. The nurses laughed at me (it was 11 pm) and put me to bed. They only gave me light foods for the first 1/2 of the next day...normal for surgical recovery.
  • Options
    Yes, and the upchuck! I hadn't thrown up in well over a decade, but dinner came up when I got to the OR. Calzones do not taste good the second time around.

Also on the stapleless team.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    6 wasn't true for me. The doctors and nurses asked if I was passing gas regularly, but no one made me fart under their supervision. That would've been ridiculous. And I didn't have a bowel movement in the hospital. My first postpartum bowel movement happened after I'd already been home a couple of days, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experinced, even though I took my stool softeners religiously.

9 wasn't true for me either. I got sutures and dissolvable staples internally and nothing but tape externally. The tape came off in the shower on day 4. I never had to go back and have anything removed.

I loved my C-section. My recovery was a breeze.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options

#6 is not true, at least not anywhere I've worked. Thank goodness - that would really prolong stays!

Oh good, must be a quirk of my old hospital! I haaaated it. The first time they have me stool softeners to help and they made me sick.
  • Options
    jenb_99 said:

6 wasn't true for me. The doctors and nurses asked if I was passing gas regularly, but no one made me fart under their supervision. That would've been ridiculous. And I didn't have a bowel movement in the hospital. My first postpartum bowel movement happened after I'd already been home a couple of days, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experinced, even though I took my stool softeners religiously.

9 wasn't true for me either. I got sutures and dissolvable staples internally and nothing but tape externally. The tape came off in the shower on day 4. I never had to go back and have anything removed.

I loved my C-section. My recovery was a breeze.

Lol no, no farting under supervision, they just ask hahah

Actually now I'm thinking staples may be older, I remember having the strips the second time around...

Also, if you have to sneeze, laugh, holding a pillow against your belly helps. But it still hurts like a bitch.
  • Options
    I had to skim this quickly b/c DS is climbing all over me and trying to type to all of you, but i wanted to add a link to a thread I started over on the c/s board awhile back asking for this kind of info.  I was so grateful I asked and found a lot of helpful info and tips that have since prepared me a little better and helped me to come up with more questions for my doc.

Here's some more:

BabyFetus Ticker

image image image
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No #6 for me either. I was eating a turkey sandwich in the recovery room because I was starving!  They also sent me home before- just wanted to be sure I could feel gas moving ok in my bowels. 

I wish I had known about the itching!  Both the epidural with my first and spinal with my second made me super itchy as a side effect. It only last for about a day, and they did have medicine to give me to make it a lot more tolerable. If you feel itchy after know that it's normal and ask if they can give you something. Nothing like trying to hold your baby and wanting to itch your skin off!

I think I had staples with my first, but the second I believe was the more current method- just glue and tape. It seemed to make recovery much easier. 

No one told me how weird walking would feel after!  I completely freaked out and thought something was wrong. I had no idea how much you use your abdominal muscles just to walk until they had been cut.  You have to walk so slowly for a couple of days. 

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    The spinal made me sick. Like crazy sick. But the anesthesiologist was awesome and helped me through the dr heaving.

My legs got annoying since I couldn't feel them for 24 hours after. DH was a champ and tried his best to help them feel better (even though I couldn't feel them)

The sooner you can get up and moving the better, just don't over do it. The nurses though I was a vaginal delivery because of how well I was up and moving.

Them pushing on your stomach for checks after hurts. And feels weird all at once.

To poop with no ab muscles takes a lot of time. Just sit and wait for it to fall out. No pushing.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    - I only had to pass gas in the hospital, they didn't wait for a bowel movement.
    -if you have a scheduled csection start drinking prune juice a couple days ahead of time and eat very light the night before. Also eat lightly until your first BM. The constipation was by far the worst part of my myomectomy, even though I had been taking Colace. (warning TMI) I got stuck on the toilet for 3 hours beyond the point of no return but couldn't get it out. It had to emergency send DH to cvs to get me laxatives. I drank a lot of prune juice before my csection, I actually overdid it a little giving myself diarrhea, but the upside was I had zero constipation in recovery.
    - the anesthesia felt very strange. Like I'd been hit by a truck and I wanted to go to sleep so badly. Luckily it's over quickly.
    - you will be on a clear liquid diet after the csection until you can hold things down.
    - as soon as yo can feel your legs they will make you walk. Try to walk as much as possible. I was doing laps around the maternity ward pushing DD in the bassinet.
    - I didn't have staples just glue and tape.
  • Options
    I think # 6 was true w the hospital where I had mine. They had me on stool softeners for weeks and a liquid diet for a day after. Had pretty scary runs in the 3rd day PP. try moving fast anywhere after ab surgery!
    My OB did use staples and then give me a tool to bring with me to my PP appt so she could take them out. Had me envisioning a staple remover like you use on bulletin boards, but it was totally painless!
    Yes to the bleeding. I bled the same as anyone I know who had a vag birth!
    Am trying for a VBAC so I'd love a post about vag births too!
    My milk came in about day 3, so I don't think the c/s delayed it, but I did have major bfing issues. Not sure if my c/s had anything to do w those, But my hospital took my perfectly healthy baby for a (hospital standard) 2 hours after he was born. This still angers me!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had hard time getting in & out of bed right after (our bed is really tall), but I was so sleep deprived it never occurred to me to use a step. I saw it recommended later & did a major facepalm.

I wish someone had warned me to be more gentle on my scar. I have a huge keloid that I blame on too much pressure on my scar too soon.

I had glue, and my doctor recommended using silicone blister pads on the scar after the steri strips fell off for extra support. They stay on with showering & can last two weeks or so.
  • Options
    To add to the list of the things I wish I knew...

The stay at the hospital is generally a few days, which I knew. I didn't know that you can push to get out earlier if you ask and are generally doing well with recovery. My first I went into the hospital on Wednesday to be induced, had baby on Thursday (csec) and left the hospital on Sunday. That was far too long. The second time, went in on Friday at noon and was out by sunday at dinner time, because I asked constantly, and the dr said if I recover well, and baby is doing well then I could leave. So I'll admit I pushed myself a little harder with getting up and moving around more. But it was worth it to go home after 2 days rather then 5 like the first time. Of course, if recovery isn't going well, it's probably best to stay in the hospital. And I wasn't bitchy pushy, I was just making sure they knew I how was feeling.

Don't remember the name of the drugs, but there were pills you have to take rectally. I can't even remember what they did. The nurse did it the first couple times. then when you are up and moving they give you a glove, pill and lube and you have to go do it yourself. Not fun.

Peeing afterward the catheter is removed just feels strange.

Pooping is terrifying. Take the stool softener if they offer it to you. Especially if you plan on taking the T3's because those will bung you up. I had diarrhea in the hospital with my first so I insisted I didn't need the softener. I should have kept it and taken it home with me because I didn't poop for 5 days after I got home from the hospital and it was scary. But the second time it was much easier after learning my lesson. Take all the stool softeners they offer you. Doesn't mean you have to take it right then and there, but save it for later if necessary!!! Seriously.

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• Options
    I did not have butt pills with mine!

Anniversary 

• Options
    I wish I knew how helpful the elastic stomach band was post c section. My doc had to request one from the hospital staff almost a day and half into my stay. Once I put it on, it made a world of difference.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @pistolpackinmomma, lucky you! That was terrible, and I tried to opt out but I think it was for pain management, I can't even remember. My step sister was in the room the first time I ever had to take one, and she just sat there on the couch across from me while they rolled me over and stuck it in. Seriously, there's just no modesty when you have a baby, whether it's natural or csection.

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• Options
    I don't post much here but I second the response about itching! OMG, it was insane!
    The nurse gave me Tucks medicated pads (witch hazel) to rub on my skin. It provided instant relief.
    I also had major swelling in my legs for nearly 2 weeks pp. It was from being pumped up with so many bags of fluid. I couldn't fit into any of my shoes. I had to go out and buy size ELEVEN sneakers to wear for a week until the swelling went down. I am normally a 7.5! It was crazy.
    Not saying that was a normal reaction but just make sure you have stretchy comfortable shoes to leave the hospital.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lovenyc I had horrible swelling too!  It took at least 2 weeks for my feet to go back to normal.  Totally had to wear my slippers home from the hospital since NONE of my shoes fit. 
    Also going to say that I never had any up the butt pills.  Could those have been given for hemorrhoids? 
    My nurses tried to give me Vicodin, but I refused it since it makes me throw up.  The pain was plenty manageable with the strong Tylenol I took.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had tons of swelling, and staples after.  Getting those out felt super weird, mostly because it was numb from the nerves having been cut.

Also, I went into shock going into surgery (emergency section in the middle of the night).  Cold OR + violent shakes anyway....I felt like I was having a seizure.  

Also, once the baby was out, morphine is nice, but it knocked me out.  I was in and out of consciousness for the next couple hours, which sucked because I couldn't enjoy my brand new baby til the next morning.
  • Options
    @mmks you didn't have any up the butt pills? WTF, why am I the lucky one. I'll definitely pay more attention this time what they are really for. Def not for hemmies though, didn't get any of those, thankfully. You'd think getting those pills I might have Asked more questions, but with everything you Go through to have a baby, having pills put in you just wasn't something I was concerned about I suppose.

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• Options
    Anyone do rooming in after csection?  I was wondering how that was going to work.  I've had abdominal surgery before, very similar to a csection, and I couldn't get out of bed without help for a couple of days, so I don't know how you're supposed to get to your baby?
  • Options

Anyone do rooming in after csection?  I was wondering how that was going to work.  I've had abdominal surgery before, very similar to a csection, and I couldn't get out of bed without help for a couple of days, so I don't know how you're supposed to get to your baby?

I did. I always had someone with me (DH or my mom) to help, but you can also just buzz the nurse to come help get the baby for you. I wasn't allowed out of bed for over 24 hours for other issues, so it was nice to have someone there.
  • Options
    Allibob said:

I did. I always had someone with me (DH or my mom) to help, but you can also just buzz the nurse to come help get the baby for you. I wasn't allowed out of bed for over 24 hours for other issues, so it was nice to have someone there.
    Same. Our hospital doesn't put babies in the nursery unless they need special attention. I was required to have someone stay the night with me and during the day I could buzz the nurse if DH stepped out and I didn't have any visitors. Oh and I wasn't allowed out of bed for 24 hours either but that's because I couldn't feel my legs for that long.

Anniversary 

• Options
    Thanks so much for making this post!  I'm a FTM with twins, so most likely I'll have to have a c-section.  All of this has been super helpful. :)
    Introducing the Rowselettes, Archer and Xander.
    Want to know more about me?  Check out my blog. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"