Health & Exercise
Options

Using protein powders before and during pregnancy

I am looking for feedback on using protein powders before conceiving and during pregnancy.  We have a few months before we are going to start trying but I want to make sure I am ready health and body-wise.  I currently workout 4 times a week with strength training/weight lifting.  I do not lift so much as to build bulk, but more for toning.  I had been using a soy protein powder after working out but read (online) that you should stay away from soy products when TTC and during pregnancy.  If I don't use something I loose too much weight.

Does anyone have experience or advice on using whey proteins, or any other types that might be better?

Re: Using protein powders before and during pregnancy

• Options
    I generally try to avoid brands that have weird crap in them, but I'm sticking with About Time whey protein now that I'm pregnant. They have a casein, but it has extra stuff in it, like melatonin and tryptophan, so I think I'm going to leave that at the back of the pantry for now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used a GNC brand, their basic protein , all throughout pregnancy and Baby is great.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use whey from time to time, did before pregnancy as well.  Post workout it is the best because it is the fastest absorbed.  Soy is just bad for you, pregnant or not.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Options
    Great!  Thank you for the feedback, I will look into the different brands mentioned.  :)
  • Options
    I used a GNC brand, their basic protein , all throughout pregnancy and Baby is great.
    this. same. and same. still using it.
  • Options
    I agree with other posters and try and avoid soy protein as much as possible. I really like IsaLean shake. It has undenatured whey protein, and enzymes that help your body utilize the protein. One of the few if not the only protein shake that is safe for kids as well. I'd be happy to pass on more info if you'd like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"