Multiples
Options

When did you announce?

I just found out we are expecting twins (EDD April 22, my birthday).  It is very early, but this is my THIRD pregnancy (we have a 3 year old and an almost 2 year old currently) so I am showing FAST.  I knew I would show faster with my third, but since its the third AND twins, its crazy.  I am pretty thin so I have a bump already.  All that to say, it will be hard to keep a secret when I am obviously getting bigger very fast.  With the last two pregnancies we did not share until after the first trimester.  This time, to rally prayer support, we will tell our parents within the next two weeks and ask them to keep it quiet until we are ready.  With that, when did you tell family and friends?  Did you first say you were pregnant and then share that it was twins later?  When did you sort of "let the cat out of the bag" that it was twins to everyone?  Thanks!  I am obviously VERY new to this!
Dd 4/1/10 9#7oz, evicted 41w4d :)
Ds 10/27/11 9#7oz evicted 41w1d :)
Lost one of two babies in pregnancy three 10/15/13
Baby three gender surprise three edd april 22

Re: When did you announce?

• Options
    You'll probably get a different response from everyone here.

I didn't announce until we had our NT scan at 13 weeks and I never announced on FB, just announced once they were born. I'm a cautious person though and didn't want to have to "untell" people if something happened.

Do what feels right to you. If you're the type that feels like you would want the extra support if, God forbid, something bad were to happen, then announce now. If you're the type that doesn't want to have to "untell" everyone if something were to happen, then you'll probably want to wait a while.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just turned 13 weeks today and within the last week and a half we told family and a few friends we were expecting. I was waiting until after our NT scan (which was yesterday) to make a broader announcement. Now I'm glad we did because at the NT scan is when we found out we are having twins! We do have a few multiples on both sides of the family so this news is spreading like wildfire. I think we'll have to announce in the next day or two if we want to be the ones doing it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions so far.  I wont be doing the NT screening, so......hmmmm...
  • Options
    I told my mom and best friend immediately since they knew we were going through fertility treatments.  As for everyone else we made a public announcement via FB around 11 weeks.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Options
    Congrats! I also have 2 already and got pregnant with twins on my 3rd go around :) I'm almost 18 weeks now but we told everyone at 13 weeks after my NT scan. We told family and close friends before that and anyone who I actually saw because like you I started showing REALLY quickly!!
  • Options
    I told my parents immediately and the rest of my immediate family once we found out it was twins, but they knew we were finishing an IVF cycle and were suspicious. We told DH's family at 10w because they were visiting and I was throwing up all day. We told everyone else at 13w, but my boss said she already knew I was pregnant, as I had a tummy.

Everyone is different, but a previous loss influenced my decision to wait. We didn't tell anyone with the first pregnancy and I was so happy I didn't have to "untell" anyone when I miscarried.
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Options
    We told some people early, like 6-7w. We told everyone at 11w. I started bleeding at 13w. I am in my 14th week and am so happy I shared the news before all of this. There is no way I'd be managing bed rest without support of everyone around us.

There is no right or wrong time to tell. Just have to do what you feel comfortable with. Congrats!
  • Options
    I'm 8 weeks and I feel huge. I have a small waist so the tummy I've got going on now is crazy. We've had 2 ultrasounds so far and all looks good. We've told a few people who knew we were going through treatments but other than that I'm not saying anything. I probably won't say anything until I get called out... Lets make it awkward!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I told close family at around 8-9w. We told them we were pg and it was twins all at the Same time.

Everyone else was told after the NT scan at 13w. I don't do FB announcements of pregnancy, I just did one when they were born.

• Options
    Im in your boat, too. Im on my 3rd pregnancy and have a 4yr old DD and my DS who is almost 2. I had some major bloat/pop so early in the pregnancy. At my DDs 4th birthday, I was about 12w. We hadnt told many people because, just like my first two pregnancies, I was hesitant to say anything until after the first trimester. We had planned on telling our families at that point but my aunt walked in and smiled and said to me, "You got a bun cooking in that oven?" (I didnt take offense because with her, you kind of expect that...she just doesnt have a filter.) I looked at her and smiled and quietly said, "Two. But shhh bc we are gonna tell everyone in a little bit." She didnt expect that answer! Anyways, we made sure family knew first and then we went "public". Everyone does it on their own time and when they are ready. Go public when its right for you and your family!
  • Options
    When we found out we were pregnant, we were going to wait until after the 1st trimester due to a previous miscarriage. But when we found out it was twins, we were too excited so we told our families right away. And with telling my FIL, you might as well tell everyone. So pretty much everyone knew right away (close friends and our entire family). We made it "FB official" at 13 weeks.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations!

We told family pretty early - around six weeks for my family and seven weeks for his (we wanted to wait longer because MIL has a big mouth but they were trying to plan a family vacation on my due date!). We found out about the twins around eight weeks. We went public at twelve weeks, and shared that it was twins.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    we told parents at 6 weeks 4 days and the rest of the world at 12 weeks (aside from those who knew we were going through IVF).  
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    We found out it was twins at our pregnancy confirmation u/s, and told just our parents about the pregnancy and the twins that week. I also had to tell work about the pregnancy because i am a nurse and some assignments are not appropriate for pregnant women. We told everyone else at 13 weeks. FWIW, i stopped worrying that I might lose one or both around 24 weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Congrats! We told our immediate family very early both that we were pregnant and and with twins. However we asked our families to keep it private until after the first tri was over.
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • Options
    We told my sister (who lives nearby) at 12.5 weeks, then everyone else at 13 weeks after the NT scan and the materniT21 blood work came back and we were all clear. We literally just spent one Saturday calling all family members and friends (and sent flowers to the new grandparents), then on Monday posted to facebook. We really wanted to tell people ourselves, so we didn't want to let the rumor spread too long on its own, but we also didn't want to do it too early. With all of the complications that come with twin pregnancies, and possibility of losing one or both, we were just extra cautious. 

I was showing pretty early but I just avoided events and wore flowy stuff whenever possible if avoiding wasn't an option. 

OP - while you are opting out of screenings for genetic disorders, you will get scans by your Perinatologist (MFM) fairly often. I have had two and am now going every 4 weeks for ultrasounds with them (I am 19 weeks now) and every two weeks for ultrasounds with by OB. They check to make sure each baby has good flow in their umbilical cord, twin to twin transfer, discordant growth, etc. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    We told family about the pregnancy at 8 weeks. We didn't find out it was twins until almost 20 weeks. That's when we told everyone else.

DS1-7/21/2011 @ 1:51am

DD-5/29/2013 @ 2:40pm

DS2-5/29/2013 @ 3:21pm

#4 EDD- 9/28/2016

• Options

We told family about the pregnancy at 8 weeks. We didn't find out it was twins until almost 20 weeks. That's when we told everyone else.

Ditto this!

• Options
    Told immediate family right away. Also my best friends right away. Then my huge extended family around 8 weeks. Still only 13 weeks and haven't completed a successful NT scan. After that we'll be more outward with it but I don't have Facebook so I don't know how to "announce" it. I am not one for pictures of myself on social networking especially pregnant. :\
  • Options
    I told everyone at seven weeks.
    I'd be forever changed no matter what happened so everyone was in on the live changing news
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options

Told my parents at 7 weeks, the rest of my immediate family, his immediate family and close friends at 9 weeks. We found out it was twins at 10 weeks. Shared with everyone we had already told that it was twins. Didn't announce on FB till after the 1st trimester.

• Options
    Glad we never announced. Lost one at 12 weeks.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss @kggmrgajgcag
  • Options
    Thanks. I am surprised how much it actually hurt me.
  • Options
    Family and my boss knew after second betas bc they knew about our IVF. Close friends knew about 6 weeks, we were open at 10.5 weeks bc people were awkwardly asking/guessing. My bump made an appearance about 8 weeks!

• Options
    We told our families and I told my coworkers around 6ish weeks. The biggest reason we told so early was because it was Christmas. However we didn't know it was twins until I was 12 weeks and went in for my first appt. we ended up getting. An ultrasound that day and boy what a surprise! We had planned on announcing on FB that night and we did after we told family and my coworkers the updated news. It was a shocker!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks. I am surprised how much it actually hurt me.

I'm so sorry. How is the pregnancy going?
    image    image    image    image

• Options
    @katiegummow ever since I suspect I lost one, it's been identical to my other two. I was blindsided by how excited I was about twins especially considering how young my other two are, no family close. Small house not much money. I tried not to get excited about it at all be of vanishing twin but everyone even my midwife said I should be fine because when we found it was twins there were two strong heartbeats. Right when I finally started to get excited was when we lost it. Irony. But I will see my baby in glory one day! Just wish it hadn't hurt. But such is kife
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"