November 2012 Moms
Options

Tylenol before shots?

Do you give LO Tylenol (or other meds) before shots?

I never have. I treat after if he seems sore or feverish with a bath and/or meds. But my mom and MIL seem to think I'm torturing the little guy by letting him feel any discomfort.

What do you do?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tylenol before shots?

• Options
    I don't pre-medicate.
    The needle will hurt regardless.
    The continuing pain/discomfort or any fever should be treated after it happens.
  • Options
    It's recommended to NOT give Tylenol prior to vaccines. It can limit the immune response to the vaccine and cause it to be less effect. We had 15 month shots a couple of weeks ago and they didn't seem to phase my little guy. He cried for a second when they gave them and was fine. I didn't even have to do Tylenol after.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same with the others; I've never given it before hand.  After our 12 month check up, DD did have a slight fever and was pretty cranky (then developed a minor rash).  We ended up given her medicine then.  We have our 15 month check up a week from today and I'm hoping there will be no problems.

• Options
    Nope, no premedication here either. I gave her ylenol only once after a shot.
  • Options
    kbl13kbl13 member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks, everyone! I'm glad my instincts where right.

Also, it's nice to have this as an answer for their future "suggestions"
    tngrl3 said:
    It's recommended to NOT give Tylenol prior to vaccines. It can limit the immune response to the vaccine and cause it to be less effect.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I was told that premedication is not a good idea as well. Lessens the effect if vaccine .

V does ok with shots. Worst I've seen is he's extra tired. But we have not had to give any meds after.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Nope. I figure I don't need to give it to him unless he develops a fever.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"