Attachment Parenting

Nesting days newborn carrier

Hi ladies, has anyone tried the new nesting days carrier? Did you like it? I already have two SSC, one infant and one toddler size. But I'm looking for a new carrier in which I can nurse the new LO while chasing DD around (she'll be 18months). It is mainly for the first 2-3 months, then I plan on switching to the SSC. The nesting days looks like it would fit all the criteria but I'm a little hesitant because it is expensive ($120) for something designed to be used up to 3 months (15lbs) and I have to size it to my body (I originally bought a k'tan before DD was born, but although it fit well when I tried it when I was pregnant, it was way too small by the time I gave birth and put on 20lbs. I ended up giving it to a friend, so I don't want a repeat of that). Do you think it is worth the money? Is it easy to nurse a newborn with no head control in it? I'm also looking at the Maya wrap ring sling but I'm so clumsy and uncoordinated wraps and slings scare me!

Re: Nesting days newborn carrier

• I'd say no. To be able to nurse in a carrier, it needs to be adjustable and this doesn't look to be. Plus it's really pricey for what it is. I'd suggest going to a Babywearing meet up for some hands on help. And you need to master wearing baby and breastfeeding separately before trying both together. You might also check out a mei tai like the Babyhawk. What SSC do you have?
  • Ditto NC. This is pricey for something that will last only a few months, and nursing in a carrier is all about adjusting baby to nursing height and this doesn't look adjustable. What SSC do you have? Some work well for nursing, some don't.
  • Loading the player...
  • @ncbelle, @pixieprincss, I have the BabyBjorn Miracle and the Action Baby toddler carrier that DD currently uses. I know the Bjorn is an unpopular choice around here but I really liked it with DD and I'll be using it again with LO2. However, I can't nurse in it so I need something new for the first couple months. I'm really tempted to get the Nesting Days because its on sale for $80 until dec 2. I like the concept of it being pretty much a shirt so I can be skin to skin with baby and they claim you can nurse in it ( there's 1 video on YouTube ). But I'm having a really hard time commiting without any feedback from anyone who's tried it. I looked into my local babywearing group and they have no upcoming meetings scheduled for me to try on the ring slings. I'm so torn!
  • You can nurse in an SSC - just put baby in, loosen the straps so baby drops down on your body a bit, lift your breast up a bit, and nurse away!  I really wouldn't get the nesting days thing - it's an overpriced gimmick.  Judging by your siggy, you have lots of time to make a purchase and try out a ring sling in the meantime.  It's going to take practice to nurse a newborn in any carrier and it won't be completely hands free at first either - just so you know ;)
  • As usual, I agree with NC about word-for-word. :)

An Infantino Sash mei tai carrier is basic, very affordable, and works well for nursing because you can lower/raise baby to the right height to nurse .

• I'm the creator of the Nesting Days Newborn Carrier and I just happened to drop in on this conversation. I am also a doula and at 67, the only reason I made Nesting Days is because I felt that there was a very real need for a baby carrier designed specifically for the 4th trimester. I recently moved the age range to 0-4 months (5 to 20 pounds) because my mothers insisted, but newborns are my specialty! The price reflects the real cost of material and labor (Made in USA). One way to look at it is $120 divided by 120 days is $1.00/day and 6-8 hrs./day = 720 to 960 hours of skin to skin, hands free, safe, comfortable babywearing -- priceless.  Whatever baby carrier you love, I wish you all Happy Nesting. I'm happy to answer any questions about Nesting Days. Email me at julie@nestingdays.com   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"