High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

IUGR babies

Hi all, 

I'm looking for others who are pregnant (or have had) IUGR babies. 

I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant with twins. At our most recent scan, our girl was measuring on track for gestational age for twins (3lbs 4oz), but our boy was below the 10th percentile (2lbs 11oz). Follow-up was done with doppler monitoring of the umbilical arteries, and it appears as though this is likely a placental insufficiency problem. There was intermittent absent end diastolic flow on doppler. 

As a result, they have increased this monitoring from every 4 weeks to twice a week. We'll going back in every Tuesday and Friday for similar tests. They can't measure growth until it has been two weeks since the last scan, but they will be doing biophysical profiles and looking at the umbilical arteries each time to monitor placental functioning. They want to be sure there is no reverse end diastolic flow. 

My OB said that I should prepare to be admitted to the hospital at any time for even closer monitoring (until the end) and that we should mentally prepare for preterm delivery. It is all about weighing risks at this point -- the risk of leaving him in an environment where he is not getting what he needs against the risk of delivering both babies at this level of prematurity (for both babies, as they come as a package deal). 32 weeks is okay. 34 weeks would be great. And anything beyond that I would be thrilled with. The MFM today said that it is highly unlikely that I will be making it to 36 weeks, as was my goal.

Anyway, is there anyone else out there in a similar boat? It's so incredibly terrifying to hear that there might be something wrong with your baby.

18 months of active trying

3 failed letrozole cycles
2 failed letrozole/IUI cycles 

BFP on the 3rd (and final) letrozole/IUI cycle before IVF 

It's TWINS!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: IUGR babies

• Options
    I just had an IUGR baby on Monday.  I actually posted about it before I had him and got some reassuring replies.

Since he's so new, I don't have much to offer here, but he was born at 4lbs, 15 oz at 37 weeks.  It's the 3rd percentile and I believe the size of a 34 week old.  But aside from being small, so far, they haven't found any other issues.  He did not have to go to the NICU.  He was able to stay in my room at the hospital and we took him home today.  I did have a c-section, but that was mostly due to his breech position rather than the IUGR.

Like you, I went to the doctor every Tuesday and Friday for monitoring.  My doppler flows and NSTs were always normal, but they decided to not let me go past 37 weeks just in case it was a placenta insufficiency issue.
  • Options
    I am in the same situation with twins and one is IUGR with intermittent cord flow. I was put in the hospital this week and will be here until the boys come. I am only 28 weeks though and baby B is only in the 1st percentile. I totally understand the risks of the when to take them out vs leaving them in, it has been very stressful. Currently our doctors have me getting an NST daily and as long as baby B is looking good we will keep them in for now. We already did one round of steroids so we are now discussing with the doctors when we want to do the second round since you can only do two and they like to deliver within a week of doing the second round. As if all that wasn't enough baby B also has a heart defect that possibly could lead to surgery too so we have prepared ourselves for a long NICU stay and just are taking everything day by day. Every day in is just another blessing so sending positive vibes your way that those babies can stay in longer and grow grow grow!!!! Please keep us updated and I will do the same :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I already responded in the post djtippletoes posted, but, short story DD had IUGR and I was hospitalized at 32 weeks until delivery at 36 weeks. Good luck!

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I am in the same boat, although not twins. Everything is showing fine with mine (healthy heartbeat, lots of activity, etc.) but she is just not growing correctly. She is assymetrical IUGR as well, which freaks me out. I'll be 34 weeks on Saturday and they say I'll deliver anytime between 34-37 weeks.

Since my first didn't want to come out (born at 41+ weeks gest), this is a completely new thing for me and the thought of such a small baby (they says she's only 3 lbs now) makes me nervous. Not to mention no one wanting to see their baby in the NICU.

Good luck to you all - it's so nice we can come on here and give each other some pep talks, I know it sure helps me.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    *asymmetrical (pregnancy brain)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Hi! I had absent end diastolic flow, found at 29 weeks. Baby was then measuring 30%. I went back every other day, and when they realized that the absence was constant(not intermittent) I was hospitalized for twice daily NSTs (to check for fetal distress) and daily ultrasounds for cord dopplers. My doctors were telling me that 34 weeks would be a cut-off and we would do a c-section then, because the cord/placenta typically start to deteriorate by then with this condition. I delivered at 32 weeks via c-section when the cord flow had reversed- they were going to do a growth scan two days later, turns out he was 6%.

He is still in the nicu(4 weeks later) but none of his issues were due to AEDF and IUGR- he's small, but a regular 32-weeker. I'm happy to talk more in-depth about my experience, feel free to PM me anytime.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I had an IUGR baby 9 years ago. She was born weighing 4lbs 4.5oz at 38+6. She was in the NICU for less than a week. She was healthy but had glucose and temperature issues. Your baby could be very healthy but just small.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS had IUGR. He was delivered at 26w and is still a bit of a peanut. I get monitored more closely for the same issues this time around. It was overwhelming at times but he has grown consistently and has some serious thunder thighs. Good luck to you and FX that LOs are born at 34 weeks! FWIW, premature birth is scary but they can do so much for preemies these days; it's incredible. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    I had my son a little over 3 weeks ago. He was an iugr baby. At 32 weeks he was measuring in 33rd percentile. But I had blood pressure issues and my son fell in percentile. We were trying to make it to 37 weeks but I was induced at 36 weeks. He weighed 4 pounds 7 oz. he initially got to come to well baby nursery but after awhile they noticed he had problems with eating (he was too sleepy to eat), which then caused temperature issues and blood sugar issues and eventually jaundice. He ended up going to nicu and spent about 2 weeks there until he started learning to take milk from a bottle consistently. Once he learned to eat all his other issues resolved. He now weighs almost 6 pounds and is eating good. He's just a small peanut! We just have a few more dr appt to make sure he's gaining and now had to be evaluated by a physical therapist to make sure he's keeping up with his developmental milestones.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"