3rd Trimester

Sex after baby's born?

So i read where a woman said her and her hubby had sex just TWO WEEKS after she gave birth. Lol. How early was it for you???

Re: Sex after baby's born?

• That's just crazy. The main reason doctors say 6 weeks before sex is due to risk of infection due to the open wound caused by the placenta. For me 6 weeks was too early due to the episiotomy and horrible hemorrhoids. It was probably 8 weeks and it was still painful. It took a few months before things were back to normal.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jessib10jessib10 member
    edited January 2014
    10 weeks for me. 4 to stop bleeding, and then I had the deposit shot a week or so later which had me bleeding for another month. It's not that I couldn't have, but I really wasn't feeling it until I was done bleeding.
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • She must have had a c-section.  I didn't even tear during delivery and I would have never been able to have sex 2 weeks later.  I was bruised and felt like someone had taken a baseball bat to my vagina for the first month.  No way.
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • ZimgerZimger member
    edited January 2014

I don't think having a C-section has anything to do with it. I had one and my doctor recommended 6 weeks (and I happily complied). I was in no condition physically to have sex before that mark. It is a surgery after all...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We waited three weeks.

When I was discharged from the hospital I was told to wait until the bright red bleeding had stopped (which it had by two weeks). Another week, and my stitches had healed and I wasn't feeling so bruised and sore.

The cervix is pretty well closed within a couple of weeks after delivery, and once the lochia has stopped that's a good sign that the uterus has healed as well. In terms of preventing infection, six weeks is probably overkill.
  • Waited 4 weeks. It hurt like a SOB! And I had a c-section. I'll probably wait a little longer this time.
  • About 8 weeks...didn't feel up to it before that between pain, bleeding, and new-parent exhaustion.
  • DTNZ4Ever said:
    That's just crazy. The main reason doctors say 6 weeks before sex is due to risk of infection due to the open wound caused by the placenta. For me 6 weeks was too early due to the episiotomy and horrible hemorrhoids. It was probably 8 weeks and it was still painful. It took a few months before things were back to normal.
    This for me as well.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We waited about 5 weeks. It really really hurt.. I'm def waiting till my postpartum check this time... Hubby will have to wait.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It was 6-7 weeks after my c/s, probably more like 7-8 weeks after my VBAC, as I had a 2nd degree tear and the stitches didn't come out until 6 wks. Neither time was terribly uncomfortable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hubby and I had sex around 2 1/2 - 3 weeks after my c-section
  • I could not even think about sex for 8-10 weeks after delivery due to my episiotomy. I was really really sore for a while after having that done- heck I walked like a 90 year old for a month straight!

• We have never waited until 6 weeks pp. That being said, we do wait until pp bleeding has stopped. And yes, in one case we had sex 2.5 weeks pp. And yes, it was quite enjoyable. 

So I don't think it's crazy at all.
  • We were medically cleared at 6 weeks and didn't have sex until 8 weeks because I was still sore.
  • We had sex at 4 weeks! I was ready at 3 but Doctor recommended we wait until 4 at the earliest. I had no tears or anything so she gave us the go ahead.
  • I am pretty sure I have never waited longer than two or three weeks as long as the bleeding had slowed down enough it was completely disgusting. I didn't find it uncomfortable after about two weeks plus I was tired of giving oral to hubby! Hahaha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I;m a FTM and I have a super high sex drive, higher than my DH, so I was worrying about go so long without sex since before I even got pregnant. DH could literally go the whole 6 weeks or longer and be perfectly fine maybe helping himself a few times, but I know I am going to be crawling up a wall. Even now when I am exhausted or sore I am still horny, but I was wondering about orgasms...I mean lets say the PP bleeding has calmed down but your still sore/healing so no penetration but 3rd base as it were...I am definitely asking my OB about this but anyone else tried this route?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Kimbus22 said:
    I cried at my 6 week PP check up when they told me I could have sex again. I seriously thought about lying to my H and telling him I wasn't cleared yet.
    My doctor saw the look of panic on my face when she said I was cleared for sex at 6 weeks pp, and added "well, it wouldn't hurt to wait another week or so."  Ha.  So it was about 7 weeks pp for us, and I would have waited longer if I could have.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • No way would anyone feel up to sex two weeks after a c section. You aren't even allowed to drive until then!
  • I think we waited 6-8 weeks both times? It honestly was pretty painful until about 6 months. Use a lot of lube. And have a drink or 2 first if possible. It's hard to feel sexy that sleep deprived, and nursing really kills my libido, but it's also a nice chance to reconnect with H and do something together not related to the baby.
  • First time I had an episiotomy and it was a good 8 weeks or so I think before attempting and it hurt badly...even with a lot of lubricant. It took a good 6 months before it was somewhat normal and still to this day I wouldn't say it's completely normal. I just had my 2nd and had to have a csection and we had sex a little over 3 weeks postpartum. And it didn't really hurt at all.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • Yikes can't imagine having sex after just two weeks. My mom insists she had sex after two weeks though!!!
    For me, it was probably about 8 weeks. And it wasn't enjoyable.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"