April 2014 Moms

Protein in urine

i work in my OBGYN office as a nurse and i know im just over reacting... but im scared because everytime i dip my urine there is always protein in it.. the doctors always say dont worry youre fine but im scared there over looking it because they know im paranoid... my BP has been ok nothing to to high but still i had nothing in my urine up until about 27 weeks.... now there is always +1 protein. im scared that i might be becoming pre-eclamptic.. anyone else dealing with protein in there urine??? im a FTM and i see so many awful things at work that im just scared and freaking myself out.. :-(

Re: Protein in urine

• I think +1 is normal during pregnancy. Anything higher than that needs to be looked at.
  • Are you dipping your urine on your own or is it actually being requested by your doctor? At my doctor's office they only check your urine if your blood pressure is high, so if your blood pressure is ok it's probably fine, but you should certainly raise (or continue to voice) your concerns with your OB!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm at high risk for it and have to pee in a cup every 2 weeks. I also had a BP scare. I can't test my urine myself so I have no idea if I have small levels or not. If your docs are testing you and they aren't worried try not to be either. I know that's way easier said than done but the thing about blood pressure is that stress levels absolutely affect it. Maybe try some prenatal stretching or yoga.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • homediva said:
    Are you dipping your urine on your own or is it actually being requested by your doctor? At my doctor's office they only check your urine if your blood pressure is high, so if your blood pressure is ok it's probably fine, but you should certainly raise (or continue to voice) your concerns with your OB!

So in our office every OB apt you have we dip the urine for protein and glucose, i had my OB apt thursday and there was +1 in it. and today i came in c/o of UTI so i dipped it and there was once again +1 :-( 

• Why are you testing it yourself? Since you'repparanoid about it maybe you should ask someone else to take over that responsibility. I don't think they would be overlooking it just because they know you're paranoid. Not seeing the results may help you not worry about it as much. My urine is often cloudy (protein indicator) but it has never been a concern for my OB.
    image    image    image    image

• UTI's can cause protein to be in your urine so if you are still fighting off a UTI than that could be why its still showing.

Honestly though, if you don't trust your doctor to be doing their job why don't you find a new one. If you aren't swelling and your BP is fine than I can understand why they aren't jumping to Pre-E. You can also spill protein in the urine if you are dehydrated. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • They test mine every visit. Once it was a little high because I was a little dehydrated. The nurse said it was likely more concentrated and just to drink even more water. It hasn't been high since.
  • When our office did urine tests, we dipped ourselves. I'd much rather know my exact result than have a doctor or nurse just tell me, "you're fine." I had protein of +1 once or twice last time but no bp issues, no swelling, etc. no problems. 
    I had no idea you could test it yourself. 

• I've always had to test at every appt. my last one I had traces of it but I hadn't had much to drink yet (it was early in the day) so it was more concentrated. Dr said not to worry so I've tried not worrying about it. My sister had pre-e with all 3 of her babies so I've been watching out for other s/s like swelling or high bp.
    NTNP 11/2011 CP 11/29/12 BFP 8/6/13 EDD 4/16/14 ♥ 
    Logan Timothy - Born 4/5/14 @ 38w3d, 7lbs14.8oz, 20½in.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had protein in my urine since becoming pregnant, some protein is normal due to your kidneys being more activie. High blood pressure is more of an indicator than just protein
  • I wouldn't worry too much.  My BP was a little high (just shy of 140/90) so the NP decided to do a 24-hour urine just in case (I see the NP unless there's concerns).  Dr. came in and checked me out when I dropped off my 24 hour sample and said yes my BP was a little high, but he wasn't concerned at that point.  Test results came back with slightly elevated protein, and the Dr. sent me a note saying yes it's slightly elevated, but isn't a concern at this time.

• When our office did urine tests, we dipped ourselves. I'd much rather know my exact result than have a doctor or nurse just tell me, "you're fine." I had protein of +1 once or twice last time but no bp issues, no swelling, etc. no problems. 
    I had no idea you could test it yourself. 
    I'm sure it's more common w/ midwives, but all you do is dip the stick in for a few seconds or whatever and look at the color. They do clean catches once a pregnancy or if indicated otherwise. Those go of to a lab. 

But, our office stopped doing the routine ones b/c they aren't that valuable an indicator. 
    Easy.  That makes sense. So you can do it on your own accord when you go to your office, since they stop doing routine ones?  or did they cut out the whole ordeal?  I am going to do this at my next appt.  That's why they leave the container with the strips in there maybe?  Thanks for the info.

• I got a +2 for protein in my urine last time, but I have no other accompanying signs so my midwife wasn't too concerned.  We did decide to send a urine sample to the lab just to be safe.  She did say that if you have a lot of discharge sometimes it can get in your urine and show up as protein in the pee test.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• I have proteinuria. My BP is fantastic. I really just think it's my kidneys struggling to keep up in the 2nd half of pregnancy. My OB has never mentioned the protein but I always have trace protein when we dip my urine at midwife visits.
  • I wouldn't worry if your ob isn't. My bp is a little high and I have protein in my urine but he isn't necessarily jumping straight to pre-e. just keeping an eye on it.
  • SO update.. i had PHI labs drawn yesterday they look good the doctor said. but they want me to do a 24 hour urine. ill start it monday night and drop it off tuesday morning (so i wont have to carry it around work lol) hopefully that turns out ok
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"