September 2014 Moms
Options

Gardening while pregnant?

Had my first ob appt yesterday and totally burst my bubble, told me not to cross country ski and that I shouldn't garden while pregnant. Gardening is out because of risk of toxo (we don't have a cat but do have good guard dogs). I am an avid gardener and canner. I asked about wearing gloves to protect and was told its just too risky. I find this appalling!!!! Better to consume pesticide and hep a laden foods from the store apparently. Any prego gardeners care to weigh in?

I'm 11 weeks with my first pregnancy and saw my bean for the first time yesterday and it was very exciting!
S

Re: Gardening while pregnant?

• Options
    I'm 10 weeks.  I hadn't brought it up with my midwife because I read in several pregnancy books that you just need to wear gloves.  I am also an avid gardener and canner and I plan to garden this spring and summer with gloves.  I'm shocked that your OB said no.  I'll have to ask my midwife at my next appointment in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    My doctor recommends wearing gloves if you garden, but didn't ban the entire activity. I also live in an urban area so she probably assumes I don't spend much time gardening. If you're getting a lot of your food from your own garden then you are probably spending quite a bit of time out there. Maybe- to be safe- you can join a food co-op (we have Farm Fresh to You in northern California)-- that way you can still get your local, organic produce without risking the toxoplasmosis exposure.

Also, I've read that you can have your blood tested for toxoplasmosis exposure and that if you've been exposed before pregnancy your baby is not at risk. Most likely, you were exposed long before your pregnancy since you garden so much. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about that option? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm hoping to grow and freeze foods for baby in addition to my usual crops. I think I will take my chances (but wear gloves) for the sake of a healthier diet for my family. Let me know what your midwife says.
  • Options
    I gardened during my last pregnancy and just wore gloves. Maybe try to do your own research and bring it up again with your OB.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Personally, I think it would best to follow the advice of your OB. They usually have concerns about things for very valid reasons.

I'm not sure where you live (is it still to cold to garden where you are?), but maybe ask your OB about it again at your next appointment. Obviously, growing your own food is very important to you, but I wouldn't be confident enough to disregard a doctor's recommendation because I didn't like what I heard.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    This sounds ridiculous.  I've never had anybody say a word to me about gardening.  I assume if you don't eat the pesticide / fertilizer, you're fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Bummer...I didnt even realize that gardening wasnt something you should do.  I was dreaming about when our 2 feet of snow melts and pruning my roses and fertilizing my lawn etc.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    I gardened last year (mind you I was wasn't very pregnant).  Just wear gloves and wash your hands.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As long as you wear gloves, like thick gloves, you should be fine. I'd recommend a mask too, just to be safe. Be sure to wash your hands and face after. You should be fine. Your OB has probably dealt with people who aren't very careful when gardening, so that may be why she's reticent.
  • Options
    I'm planning to garden wearing gloves as usual and will continue to cross country ski as well! I can't figure out why your OB would be ok with downhill but not cross country..
  • Options
    I think that's a little extreme. Wear gloves and wash your hands. Do your own research and make the educated decision.

Slight spin off, but I have been shocked at some of the stuff Logan's doctor has said that is outdated.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    Grow some darn veggies! I gardened throughout both boys, just wash well. It's the greatest joy for my kids in the summer we're not missing it for pregnancy this time either. If I come across cat crap I get DH to dispose of it. I avoid sprays etc. for the kids anyway, compost I consider black gold and bugs we pick and throw out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"