July 2014 Moms
Options

Too excited to sleep...& knowing vs waiting

Tomorrow we get to find out LO's gender!! I felt like this day would never come lol. I know there's posts beyond posts about this general topic but I'm more curious about those of you who have decided to wait until birth to know the gender. What made you decide that? I want to hear opinions in case its something id like to do for my next pregnancy.
         BabyFruit Ticker
First time Mommy-to-be! So excited to meet my little angel!
~22 years old~
Lucky enough to have married my best friend on 11.19.13

Re: Too excited to sleep...& knowing vs waiting

• Options
    I wanted to wait but husband didn't. I figured it would be special to find out at the end and I wouldn't have time to impose a bunch of things on the baby over the 9 months. I also wanted to pick the name after the baby was born, give us a chance to get to know it :)
  • Options
    We are waiting. We both decided to wait to find out the sex of our child to have that big surprise at the end. We just have no desire to find out this week - not because we are not excited to find out, but because we like the anticipation. We want to keep names to ourselves and have something that is exciting for just the two of us. Since we made the decision, we have come up with a couple other reasons for waiting. 

Being first timers, we felt this would also help keep us on track with getting neutral items that we can use with future children, no matter what sex they are. This goes for the big ticket items, as well as cloth diapers and baby clothes. It will, hopefully, help keep baby gifts on that track as well. I don't really care about the gifts (and am not looking forward to being the center of attention on 4 different days with different groups of people. Not my thing at all.) But, what we end up with, we want to be able to use for all our children.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow those are all really great reasons that I hadn't even thought of. I really appreciate the insight. I've always been an impulsive person and I think if I could learn more patience I could really enjoy the surprise factor and anticipation like you mentioned @Pup4gdb
    And @Ylvelill I think the waiting to name the baby until you meet him or her is a really great idea too
    :)
             BabyFruit Ticker
    ~22 years old~

• Options
    I'd always thought I would want to know, but my sister waited and it changed my mind. Was a very exciting and moving moment getting that phone call from her straight after labour to tell me I had a nephew.

As a PP said, I feel it also has benefits as far as (hopefully) curbing my buying of baby clothes etc. as I find it easier to resist that 'sweet must have baby dress' if I don't know the sex of bub.

But our main reason is for the anticipation, and surprise at the end.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Well I look forward to hearing what you are all surprised with!!!! :-)
             BabyFruit Ticker
    ~22 years old~

• Options
    My husband talked me into waiting with my first. I thought it would drive me nuts not knowing, but it was actually fun so we decided to wait again. Its nice to have a surprise right at the end. The "its a ..." at the end of labor is a nice moment to have. We had a boy name and a girl name picked out, but were also open to anything once we saw the baby. Its fun to have something that is just between the two of us. When you're pregnant everybody and anybody wants to know your business. It really bothers people when we told/tell them we aren't finding out the sex (or telling our name choices). People have actually gotten mad at me, like I'm keeping secrets. But this isn't about them, its about DH, I, and our children.

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DH wants to wait and I want to know. I HATE surprises though and he loves them!

As for colors, we know we want another after this so we are registering and buying green, blues, browns for PNPs, bumbos, etc. And black for our car seat and stroller.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Even if you know the gender you can still buy your big items neutral along the way.  We found out last time and are going to find out again.  I thought about trying to wait, but DH is actually the one who wants to know!
  • Options
    Just wanted to say congrats on finding out today! I can't wait to hear what you ladies are having! We found out last week and I totally couldn't sleep the night before from excitement. :) and to all the ladies who are team green, that is awesome! I don't know how you do (I'd give up and want to know... control freak in me) it but I really admire you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know how you feel. We are finding out Friday and I feel like the hours are dripping by very slowly on purpose. haha. I just want to know!!!!! 

I can't wait. It's not in my DNA. I just need and want to know! My husband wants to know too but I think he could go either way if didn't know I would burst if I didn't find out. We still feel it's going to be special and amazing to us when we have the baby even if we know the sex. 

I do have lots of respect and admiration for those that can wait. You have extreme will power. 

image  BabyName Tickerimage
  • Options
    I wanted to wait because I figure it is really the one and only true surprise you get in life. (Husband always tries to buy birthday presents/Christmas presents and I always guess them which drives him crazy!)

I also think that after so many hours of labour (hopefully not too many) it will be amazing to hear the doctor say a boy or girl.

Also I would rather choose to decorate the nursery and get the essentials in gender neutral so that I can use then again for future little ones.
  • Options
    TRyan86 said:

I wanted to wait because I figure it is really the one and only true surprise you get in life.

This was my big argument to my husband, but he countered with "it is a surprise no matter when you get it" and I kinda had to agree with that :)
  • Options
    We might wait to find out next time if we are able to get pregnant again.  I don't know if we could handle waiting to find out, but this time we've already been told two different things.  My A/S is tomorrow and I have a feeling that no matter what they tell me, I will still have doubt.  I can totally see a benefit of just waiting until the baby gets here so there is absolutely no question! ;-)  At the very least, next time I will make absolutely sure that nobody blurts out what they think the sex is at 15 weeks.  I don't want to hear a word about it until 20 weeks!

• Options
    As another "benefit" to waiting, I have a friend who wanted to wait to find out the sex as an extra motivation to push when the time came.  She knew labor would be hard, and getting to find out whether the baby was a he or a she could provide the extra motivation she needed to get the baby out :)

• Options
    I have been going back and forth about it, don't need to make a decision until March but I did ask a friend who waited to find out and her take was a bit different. I thought she would suggest it but she instead said that she was hoping for this magically moment especially for her husband to find out, but after pushing forever she ended up having to have a c section and the doctor pulled the baby out, said it was a boy, and then they had to finish everything up. She said it was not the moment she was hoping for and she would be fine finding out for the next one. I see both sides, DH wants to find out and says the surprise is a surprise no matter when we find out. We'll see! Regardless - we are doing everything neutral simply because I hate pink/blue : )

• Options
    I love all of the different theories I definitely think I'm going to wait next time! This pregnancy however...its a boy!!!! Jaxson Noah :)
             BabyFruit Ticker
    ~22 years old~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"