April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

I've seen this on a few other boards (because, you know, I'm a stalker) and thought it would be awesome if we had a safe place to ask all our dumb questions about babies and motherhood or whatever as we think of them. I feel like my brain is getting full of questions, but I never want to start a whole thread for a question I'm sure will make other mothers say "duh". Hopefully I'm not the only one!
2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
Married: May 2006
Baby Girl Born: April 2014
If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
I am here to live out loud!

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• edited February 2014
    Question:
    How do you clean the umbilical stump, and about when does it fall off? I don't know why, but the memories I have of my little sisters' brown, shriveled stumps still haunt me.

Question:
    Can you start using nipple cream early? Mine have been dry and feeling itchy. It won't mess things up for baby's first latch somehow if I'm using it already, will it?

Question:
    Are onesies really that hard to get over a newborn's head? I keep seeing moms say they are, but I never had trouble when I watched my friends' kids. They were always at least a month old, though, so I wondered. Should I get kimono style tops instead for at first?

Question:
    What the heck are those little socks for hands things for? And wouldn't a swaddle do the same thing?
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Yes. I'm in.

Why do my boobs hurt so bad when they leak?? Like, someone took an ice cube to the nipple kind of hurt. Does this mean breast feeding is gonna suck?!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told to use a pea size drop of the nipple cream or my own milk to soothe that area. My lactation consultant also said a good latch should prevent any pain during breast feeding so if it hurts that is a sign something is so right.

BabyFruit Ticker

image  image  image

• Love this, I'm full of stupid questions.... One was the nipple cream- just got the 3 jars of motherlove that I ordered and wondered if it would be stupid to add it to my after shower moisturizing routine. Looks like I'll go for it. Everything is so dry this winter!

imageimage
  • What twirple said!! Highly endorse each answer :)

I found kimono onesies to be a bigger pain.

Why did you find them a bigger pain? I've been trying to stock up on them because I thought they were suppose to be better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • New dumb question: I've seen a lot of posts about leaking. I'm a FTM and 31 weeks. Is it ok that I have no leaking at all?
  • New dumb question: I've seen a lot of posts about leaking. I'm a FTM and 31 weeks. Is it ok that I have no leaking at all?

I never leaked with DD -- not during pregnancy and not during 19 mo of nursing! It doesn't mean anything!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Love this thread, @BiggerinRealLife! My question is for all the natural birth mamas: I keep hearing about "the ring of fire" (ahh!). About how long does this last? Moments? Hours? Getting scared over here!

• Question:
    How do you clean the umbilical stump, and about when does it fall off? I don't know why, but the memories I have of my little sisters' brown, shriveled stumps still haunt me.

Question:
    Can you start using nipple cream early? Mine have been dry and feeling itchy. It won't mess things up for baby's first latch somehow if I'm using it already, will it?

Question:
    Are onesies really that hard to get over a newborn's head? I keep seeing moms say they are, but I never had trouble when I watched my friends' kids. They were always at least a month old, though, so I wondered. Should I get kimono style tops instead for at first?

Question:
    What the heck are those little socks for hands things for? And wouldn't a swaddle do the same thing?

Took about 2 weeks for DD's stump to fall off. My dr told me to completely leave it alone and no full body baths until after it had fallen off. Only sponge baths before.
  • Thanks for starting this! So nice to have a place to ask questions without starting a new thread. 

First question: Do onsies bother babies before their umbilical cord falls off? I've seen t-shirt style tops for newborns and am wondering if they aren't supposed to be wearing full onsies in the beginning?

Second: What do babies wear in the hospital, before they come home?
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• @CalinAZ Here the newborns are given a sleeper by the hospital for the first day/night, but after that the baby wears whatever clothes you have brought. For me, I used sleepers the whole time.

My DD1 wore onesies and never a t-shirt and they didn't bother her umbilical cord. I don't like t-shirts on newborns as they ride up under clothes and I was worried about their stomach area getting cold as it was winter when DD1 was born and will be winter here for this LO.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • thomas930thomas930 member
    edited February 2014
    @Ooopsbaby14 I had a mirror but I didn't watch, mostly because my eyes are closed when I am pushing. I would have actually like to see it (curiosity sake) but so far I can't even keep my eyes open when I'm pushing so hard lol. 

But I don't see anything wrong with not wanting to watch what's going on right down there :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If I remember correctly I did have some trouble with certain onsies fitting over DS' head. They usually just say stretch them out a bit before you put them on. That worked for us.

The hand covers are neat but we always found putting an extra pair of socks over his hands worked better. They have a little stronger elastic so they don't slip off as often.

The umbilical cord doesn't require a lot of care. I think we were told to put Vaseline on it during diaper changes. You also might need to fold down the tops of the diaper so it doesn't rub the cord. I think that depends on what type of diaper you use.
  • Mamamonzo said:
    When you STM+ were about to be FTMs did you ever sit in the middle of all the shit you bought and cry because you didn't know what the hell to do with it all, and then think how the actual fuck am I going to care for a baby? What do I do with a baby?
    I'm a FTM and I was up this morning from 3:30am to 6:30am when my alarm went off crying and panicking that DH won't finish the nursery and our new bedroom in time and I'm not going to have everything we need and OMG  I actually have to get her out of me at some point. It was awful :(
  • thomas930 said:
    Cecilbear said:
    Love this thread, @BiggerinRealLife! My question is for all the natural birth mamas: I keep hearing about "the ring of fire" (ahh!). About how long does this last? Moments? Hours? Getting scared over here!
    For me, the "ring of fire" was felt when delivering the baby's head (and maybe shoulders). 

It's hard to remember because you really do forget about all the pain after. 
    This! But I honestly don't remember much of the pain. Worst for me was when she was crowning and my body wanted to push but they wanted to make sure she was turned right. So body saying push and mind saying don't push hurt the worst. 

CafeMom Tickers
  • kcp913 said:

Great thread BiRL.

My question: can you use the lasinoh storage bags in the playtex drop in bottles?

I don't believe they work.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Thanks, ladies!! ::biiiig sigh of relief!::

• Here's one. Does anyone have really bad contractions after sex? I'm only 30 weeks but she's already starting to drop so I'm not sure if that's it, but they're more intense than BH.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes I need this thread!

Jogger strollers: when can you start jogging with baby? I heard you had to wait a certain time but have no idea how long it is. (I'm not really planning on jogging for a while anyway, but ill pretend). And you can walk baby outside and in a stroller from day one right?

I have a million more silly questions but I can't remember any of them when I get a chance to ask them!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image

I BF my DD for 16 months and never leaked during pregnancy. My milk came in after a couple days. So I think you're fine! :)

I'm 30 weeks and no leaking either. So everyone is different :)

Side note I apperantly just became super protective of my breasts and don't like DH even thinking about touching them... Even though they aren't sore at the moment.

• Did anyone else NOT want to watch the delivery in the mirror? Mirror was offered and I lied and said I could see when I really couldn't. I didn't want to see what was happening with my parts! I don't feel I missed out on anything by not witnessing the actual entrance into the world. DH watch once and chose not to see it again. he jokes that he never should have seen what he saw.
    For me, I wanted to see because I couldn't feel the same way with the epidural so I wanted to know I was making progress. DH didn't want to see.

They brought out huge mirrors and I told them to put that away (DH would have fainted, I'm too modest and didn't want that broadcast in the room), I got out my compact mirror and used that instead.

• @Ashleypixie Not with this pregnancy but with my others yes, I did get some pretty intense contractions after sex. There was never a pattern to them and they went away on their own so I never really worried about it. Your uterus is going to contract (pregnant or not) every time you have an organism. 

@sking72 Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe they have to be sitting unassisted or at least 6 months before its recommend to jog/run with a stroller. You also aren't supposed to use the car seat with it while running. You can probably find the guidelines right in the manual of the stroller. Walking can start whenever you feel up to it. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Question: How do you clean the umbilical stump, and about when does it fall off? I don't know why, but the memories I have of my little sisters' brown, shriveled stumps still haunt me. Question: Can you start using nipple cream early? Mine have been dry and feeling itchy. It won't mess things up for baby's first latch somehow if I'm using it already, will it? Question: Are onesies really that hard to get over a newborn's head? I keep seeing moms say they are, but I never had trouble when I watched my friends' kids. They were always at least a month old, though, so I wondered. Should I get kimono style tops instead for at first? Question: What the heck are those little socks for hands things for? And wouldn't a swaddle do the same thing?
    1) Your pediatrician will tell you their preference.  Some say to use alcohol, some just water.  It can fall off within days or if you are really unlucky like we were...it can take 27 days!
    2) You can totally use nipple cream now.  Lanolin is amazing!  
    3) Newborns are floppy so it was nice to have the side snaps and not have to get it over baby's head.  It depends on the onesie and the head size. It's not a huge deal but FT parents might prefer side snaps
    4) Those sock things are AWESOME if your baby is born with long nails and you are freaked and afraid of cutting those baby fingers (honestly you probably will cut the fingers by accident more than once.  Luckily baby won't remember).  We used them while baby awake but not eating the first few weeks.  We swaddled while sleeping

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"