Two Under 2
Options

Soon to be 2U2 and nervous about telling people

My LO is ~13 months and we will be telling my in-laws tonight that I'm pregnant with number 2.  I have to admit that I'm nervous about their reaction.  I'm afraid there are going to be remarks made about the our babies being so close together or about us being able to "handle" two children that are so young with our careers, etc.  How did you deal?  Did you have a witty come back for snarky remarks?  If so, please share.

I'm hoping they will just be happy and not make any snide comments, but I'm trying to prepare myself in case they do because even though DH is 38 and a professional, they sometimes treat him like he is 18.  

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Soon to be 2U2 and nervous about telling people

• Options
    I was fortunate that my family was incredibly supportive of our close spacing. Any comments from others I just turned around on them. For example, when people said that we'd have our hands full, I'd say "Yep. Isn't it great?" Or to the constant you'll be busy comment, I just answer, "I cannot think of anything I'd rather spent my time doing." If you acknowledge and deflect comments that way, people will know you've thought things through and are happy. What more can they say then?
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Options
    I think if you act happy, they should be happy for you.  I don't really understand why people have such an opinion on kids being close together.  If they are not caring for or paying for them, what do they care!  And grandparents especially should be happy to welcome a new grandchild.

I have three kids.  My first two are a little over 15 months apart and my second and third are 21 months apart.  When my Mom found out I was pregnant for the third time her comment was "You sure do like having them close together!"  It wasn't negative, she was excited. 

If they make a negative comment, just emphasize how excited you and DH are.  And for what its worth, going from 2 to 3 is less of an adjustment then going from 0 to 1 or 1 to 2, IMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hope it went well! I was so nervous I waited until I couldn't hide it any more lol. Finally, I did and everyone was thrilled. Those with the snarky "what are you going to do with two?" Got answers like "get twice the snuggles, twice the love and twice the happiness" idk what they expected to hear, maybe "pull out my hair"

Umm.idiots. W
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My family was supportive but it was the comments from others outside of my family that were somewhat annoying.  I got the usual "your hands are going to be full" to which I responded "yup...full hands, full heart", "man you didn't waste anytime" to which I responded "time isn't on my side...my husband and I aren't getting any younger" comments like "how'd that happen so soon" to which I responded "You know exactly how babies are made" and "what are you going to do with 2 so small" to which I responded with "the same thing I would do with 1.  I won't be the first to do it and definitely won't be the last."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We just found out that we are expecting #2 and I am new back to these boards.  Our son is 13 months old but I am finally getting excited about the pregnancy and over the shock.  I have no clue when we will tell our parents but I know we will be in a similar situation.  I have had major baby fever for the past 3-4 months and every time I brought it up my mom would say we have time.  Ummmm....  Yeah.  I think it will be a shock to them.  But I know they will all be happy! 

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lzmac11 said:
    We just found out that we are expecting #2 and I am new back to these boards.  Our son is 13 months old but I am finally getting excited about the pregnancy and over the shock.  I have no clue when we will tell our parents but I know we will be in a similar situation.  I have had major baby fever for the past 3-4 months and every time I brought it up my mom would say we have time.  Ummmm....  Yeah.  I think it will be a shock to them.  But I know they will all be happy! 
    this is exactly our situation!! I have had baby fever for a few months and we just found out we are expecting #2, I was shocked and then got a little upset but now I am excited.
  • Options
    I used to be that person that heard 2u2 and thought, sheesh! haha well as soon as December rolls around I'll be a mother of 3 and 2u2. Our 3rd was a huge surprise, so most responses we're happier for us then we were... But now we've gotten over the shock and are very happy! My response now is yep, neither of us were crazy enough to plan for #3 so it's been a nice blessing to have a surprise given to us! Just brush off the responses that aren't positive, I do.
  • Options
    We just found out we are going to have 2u2 in June! I was afraid of what people would say at first too but so far everyone has been very supportive. Hubbys parents are never quite as excited about anything as we would like them to be (ridiculous family drama over there) but my family is super supportive. We are happy and are treating this as such a blessing (which it is)! It was a shocker at first but now I love the idea of how close they will be! Don't let anyone bring you down, there are always people who live to be negative it seems but it shouldn't ruin your happiness!
  • Options
    Our first is 7 months old and we are 6 weeks pregnant with #2.  We originally were planning to start trying for #2 in October when we were still pregnant with #1 but a couple of months ago we decided to wait till next October due to financial reasons.  So when our birth control failed I couldn't have been more happier with the timing.  My mom found out she was pregnant with my twin brothers when I was 18 months old so I grew up with close siblings.  My husband on the other hand has a 5 year gap with his older brother and they were never close.  My mom was super excited that we were pregnant again and is hoping for twins, lol.  My husband's parents were not too happy.  They had told us we should wait 5 years till we had our next one and there was no way I was going to do that.  They are always asking me when I'm going to start using my degree I got from college and when I'm going to start my career.  They don't understand that my dream job was to be a mom.  
  • Options
    Boo I'm sorry they're like that. My parents are similar so the best way I've found is to be super excited about it when I tell them. They tend to have a harder time being Debbie Downers if I'm genuinely happy. I went to college but quit when I realized I didn't want the degree and wanted to be a mom. My parents had a 4 year gap and then a ten year gap. They also don't agree with most of how we raise them but it works out in the end because they love our kiddos! ;)
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Options
    Well I was pretty shocked myself, and I worried immediately what people would think/say. My mom was supportive, but keeps with the comments that we don't know what we are in for and all that (which make me insane) but for the most part people have been nice and just some funny side comments that aren't too bad. 

I'm more worried about telling my work EEEK! 8-|
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm hoping to have my children just over a year apart. I really want to raise them close in age and hopefully they will grow up close. I don't think there's anything wrong with it:) I'm sure some people will have negative things to say but to be honest I think it'd be harder for me to send one off to kindergarten and start all over again with a new baby. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    My son is one and a half and my daughter is 5 weeks old. We planned them that close, actually I had gone off birth control a few months prior to getting pregnant so they could have been even closer!! I am shocked to hear that people make snarky comments. I have not gotten any. Everyone "seemed" genuinely happy for us. I just can't imagine having an opinion about when someone decides to have children unless they are unable to take care of them for some reason. Children are such a blessing! My in laws are pretty terrible in a lot of ways but even they would never be disappointed about more grandchildren!! Best of luck to you, I hope it goes great and you are worried for nothing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"