January 2013 Moms

Blankets in the crib

From what I've read, at 1 yr it's safe to start putting blankets in the crib, but I'm debating whether to keep with the sleep sack or start using blankets. Have others made the transition?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Blankets in the crib

• We have been using blankets here since its been cooler... and in upstate N.Y. that was like late august !!! I mostly use knit-crochet types... he likes them best and they seem safest in my eyes...
  • Thanks ladies, you've put my mind at ease. Love the idea of the knitted blankets, we have one that will be perfect. Now just to see if DD will actually sleep under it (she tosses and turns like her momma!)

• Loading the player...
  • My pedi gave us the okay for blankets AND a pillow which kind of blew my mind.  The only thing she said to be careful was for baby to pile them up and use them to try to crawl out of the crib.  I don't use a pillow but I started her on a fleece blanket because it feels the same as my fleece robe that I wear when we nurse so I figured that the fabric would be comforting. :)  I also use the bigger version of her AA security blankets that I send with her to sleep with at daycare. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been using a fleece blanket with DD since around 8/9 months, but no pillows. I think it's fine when they really are good about pulling things off their faces. Both of my kids were really great about this. If you're worried, maybe try it during nap times so you can check frequently, then try at night after a few days :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage

• DD just got her first blanket about a week or two ago. It is a wide gapped crocheted blanket. She hasn't had any issues.
  • DS has used a fleece blanket since around 6 months. He uses a sleep sack too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD sleeps with an A&A blanket but it doesn't cover her. She just likes holding it. We haven't used any others yet because she seems ok in her pjs.
  • I guess I am in the very small minority! My girls sleep in sleep sacks and are very comfortable so we see no reason to introduce a blanket or pillow.  I asked my pediatrician about it and he said why take the chance.  He said he introduced closer to 2 with his own daughter.  
  • DS has a blankey and goes no where without it. He picked it out himself at 6 months, we were at the store, and i was looking for jammies for him, when i looked back at the cart he had pulled this blanket off the wrack, and was chewing on it. So i bought it for him, and he's been attached to it like glue ever since. It's a fleece/sherpa blanket and super cozy. I probably shouldn't have let him take it to bed as early as we did, be we've never had a problem, and he refuses to sleep without it. 

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• We have used a blanket since about 7mos. DD is so tall and sleep sacks made her crazy. We haven't had any issues.
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • I have been paranoid as well. DS will sleep with a blanket when he is downstairs sometimes on the couch for a nap with us. But I am yet to put one in his crib for naps or overnight. We still have him in fleece sleepers at night. I know that he will eventually need to use blankets at night...but I am kinda leaning more towards that being something closer to 2 years old. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • We've used a blanket for about 5 months now. He loves them and he actually does really well at covering himself up! It's so cute to watch him cover up. He would love a pillow too but I don't think I'm ready for that quite yet. He usually balls up one blanket and puts it under his head and throws the other over his back. He is such a snuggler!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• At her ped's recommendation(to get her used to them, I suppose), DD has had a blanket and small pillow in her crib since Dec.

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• DD hated sleep sacks as well. She's quite the mobile sleeper so that may be why... But she has had a crocheted blanket for months. She also has one for naps at daycare. Sometimes she uses it, sometimes she kicks it off, but I like knowing that she has it if she needs it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bodhi hated sleep sacks or anything confining so he's had a blanket since he was about 4.5 months old. We recently introduced a pillow, but he uses the pillow to give him a little more height when he tries to climb out of the PNP. Needless to say, he no longer gets a pillow. I would note, however, that he's been sleeping next to me since he was born and he's never slept in another room, so I'm always around when he's sleeping. I would try it when your LO naps if you're uncomfortable so you can check on her frequently. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"