Parenting

Olympics UO

I am already sick of Ashley Wagner. I feel like she is very full of herself. This is based on no actual fact, just a feeling. Also, not classy to be so vocal about your disappointment with your score. Do better.

Re: Olympics UO

• Meh, I think Olympic-level athletes doing the thing they're Olympic-level good at are allowed to be a little full of themselves.
  • Loading the player...
  • overture said:
    Meh, I think Olympic-level athletes doing the thing they're Olympic-level good at are allowed to be a little full of themselves.

Yeah, but I think with the circumstances that got her there, she should be just a touch more gracious.
  • overture said:
    Also, it kind of was bullshit.  I know it's about overall points, but I just can't see how a woman falls on her ass and beats a woman who doesn't.

This I agree with. However, I don't think Ashley's program was that great. She didn't totally complete one of her highest scoring elements.
  • pobrecita said:
    Who?!!?!?

Figure skater who choked at the US Championships and was still picked for the Olympic team over another girl who killed at the Championships. Ashley has more experience, but she choked under pressure.
  • I am not really a fan of hers...even though I suppose it is not really her fault that she was chosen to represent USA over Mirai Nagasu.  She's not at cracker eating level, but I can't get it up to defend her.  She does annoy me.  

C is 3 years old

• Spin313 said:
    Summer Olympics > Winter Olympics
    NO. 

Summer Olympics are BORING compared to winter, I mean, I don't think they go over 70 miles per hour in the summer Olympics. Slow pokes!

• I prefer summer because it has more events that I like. Gymnastics, equestrian, tennis, etc.
  • I don't think your opinion of her is a UO based on everything I've read online.  I have a huge girl crush on her.  I love her ego, I love her look.  she's super athletic and talented and I'm thrilled she made the team.  I thought she was low scored and her face was epic

I guess it is unpopular based on all the love she's getting from NBC. She's everywhere, blogging, interviews, commercials, etc. Ugh. For sure she's talented and gorgeous. It's just a bit much for me.
  • I thought Carolina Kostner of Italy skated so beautifully. I was rooting for her last night.

Married 9/28/13    Not TTC but I will love the ladies of the TTGP board forever           

image image

Every time I see this dog, I want it. 

TTGP April siggy challenge
    image     Turbo Man

• WasNotWas said:
    I thought it was really trashy to curse when you know you are on screen. You are allowed to be disappointed, but try to remember you are representing your country. I think the snowboarding women are a lot more attractive.
    I can't argue with your logic.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Also I had to lol at Sage Whatever for being like, so stoked bro.  So random.

GET OFF MY LAWN, you just won a gold medal, show a little pride.  Also pull your pants up.
  • overture said:
    Also I had to lol at Sage Whatever for being like, so stoked bro.  So random.

GET OFF MY LAWN, you just won a gold medal, show a little pride.  Also pull your pants up.
    And spit out your gum, or at least chew with your mouth closed.  
  • overture said:
    Also I had to lol at Sage Whatever for being like, so stoked bro.  So random.

And spit out your gum, or at least chew with your mouth closed.  
    Well, my guess is for the snowboarders the X-games are where they make their money and get their sponsorship deals. The Olympics are kind of gravy for them, and almost an exhibition. Unlike Figure Skaters, where a medal is the difference between household name, endorsement deals and nothing.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • How bout that Russian 15 year old? She was pretty good though. I could care less about Ashley though. She was fun to watch and I think she should have gotten a higher score, but at least she didn't bomb like the guys short program and they have a shot at placing.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• How bout that Russian 15 year old? She was pretty good though. I could care less about Ashley though. She was fun to watch and I think she should have gotten a higher score, but at least she didn't bomb like the guys short program and they have a shot at placing.
    She was incredible - her spins were mesmerizing!
    I know right? Rosie was watching with me. She wants to ice skate now.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

She was incredible - her spins were mesmerizing!
    I know right? Rosie was watching with me. She wants to ice skate now. Savannah is now begging for skating lessons, too.  She's ready to drop gymnastics like a hot potato. 
    I always joke with SO that with Rosie's genetics to be short and skinny she's cut out for figure skating or gymnastics. Guess we'll see. I think 3 is a bit young for ice skates though.

• Also, the ice dancing short program was really pretty. I liked that a lot.
  • Yulia is unbelievable.  I also love the story of the ice dancing pair that have been partners practically since birth.  Got to root for them.
  • Why is there a team skating event now? Isn't there enough figure skating with the women's, men's, pairs, and ice dancing?
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • @Regal Mama I really may start Rosie on it. I looked up the lessons costs and it's not bad! I gotta convince SO though.

@RiverSong82 I think they added it to be more like the gymnastics of the Winter Olympics. Since Gymnastics also has a huge team competition as well as individual.
  • @Regal Mama I really may start Rosie on it. I looked up the lessons costs and it's not bad! I gotta convince SO though.

@RiverSong82 I think they added it to be more like the gymnastics of the Winter Olympics. Since Gymnastics also has a huge team competition as well as individual.

Huh. Maybe. Still sees like overkill to me though.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Eh, I like figure skating and gymnastics. I think it's good that they are giving them an opportunity for a team medal and not just individuals.
  • Spin313Spin313 member
    edited February 2014
    LuckyDad said:

@LuckyDad - let's be real here, Canada = hockey gold always.

Though there was some serious controversy over the men's team roster. My hometown freaked the fuck out over the Joe Thornton snub (we're his hometown).

Thornton is too old and slow for Olympic hockey. Traditionally Canada gets screwed over when they take too many old All-Stars and not enough grind line guys. A team needs some speed and grit on their third and fourth lines.

For the Women, Hockey is Canada's to lose, with US as the obvious Silver favorite. For the men it's tougher, as historically both Canada and the US have struggled when the Olympics aren't in North America. I do think the US and Canada are the big favorites and would love to see them meet in the Gold Medal game for both Men and Women!

Gotta support Tre Kroner / Team Sweden for Men's Hockey, as nearly half the squad are Detroit Red Wings! :)

• Spin313 said:
    Summer Olympics > Winter Olympics
    LIES
  • I think the ice skating team event was great. Better than trying to beat each other up with lead pipes...
  • @Spin313 - I have heard a few Detroit fans say that they weren't sue whether to cheer for the US or for Sweden

Definitely both! They don't play each other in the prelims...we'll see what happens in the qualifiers and quarterfinals/later rounds. My initial guess is that it comes down to USA, Canada, Russia, and Sweden for medal contention.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"