LGBT Parenting

Pregnancy Check-in

How is your/your spouse or SO's pregnancy going? Any updates to share? Please remind us how far along you are and what your EDD is! :)

QOTW: So 2mamaz brought this up in last week's check-in, and a few folks answered, but I would like to throw it out there to all as the QOTW -- what pregnancy "rules" have you broken or do you plan to break?

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********

Re: Pregnancy Check-in

• I am 23w6d. EDD is June 3rd.

Baby is moving a TON now, which I totally love. I feel her everyday multiple times throughout the day. Yesterday she was all over the place. I haven't been sleeping well again (I mean, this is not new, but I am going through a spell of worse than normal pregnancy sleeping the last few days). Anyway, last night I was tossing and turning like crazy. I just can't seem to get comfortable, and my hips and sides have been aching when I lay on them, so I keep flipping back and forth from left side to right side and back to left side.In the middle of the night when I was tossing and turning a ton she started kicking pretty hard -- almost to tell me "Mom, please stop. I am trying to rest!" HAHA

My other new-ish issue is really dry cracked skin that resembles eczema on my legs and in between by breasts. It is itchy (my back has been itchy too a lot), and is starting to get painful. I bought cocoa butter lotion on Saturday and I have been slathering myself with it twice a day now. I am hoping it helps.

Otherwise, not too much else to report. My next appointment is in 2 weeks. It is so nice to not feel super anxious about upcoming appointments. Now that I feel baby squirming around regularly, I am much more relaxed on a daily basis.

QOTW: I have tried pretty hard not to break many rules, mainly because I was nervous enough already and didn't need any reason to add to it worrying about consequences to my rule breaking behavior. Ha! I am a tad more relaxed now, but not sure I will be more apt to break rules. Most of them aren't too hard to follow for me. I have been sleeping on my back a little bit, but not too much and mostly not intentionally. With all the flip flopping I have been doing, I will ocassionally find myself rolled to my back for a little while, but never more than an hour or so at a time. The one rule that I would really love to break at this point is the lunch meat rule (I know some people never follow this, but I gave up lunch meat when I got pregnant, so now I feel like I need to stick it out for the duration) -- I would really LOVE a big juicy sub with lots of meat in it though. Mmmmm - I think that is my current craving. I probably want it so much because I have told myself I can't have it. When not pregnant I rarely eat such things.

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Sorry for jumping in since I'm not pregnant, but I just wanted to comment...
    @KH826,
    When I was pregnant ALL I wanted was lunchmeat!  Specifically subs from Subway, but I too thought I needed to stick it out until the end with the no lunchmeat rule.  There were a couple times that I went to Subway and asked them to nuke my ham before putting it on the sub.  It satisfied my craving, but I got some really strange looks from the workers!
  • Loading the player...
  • Happy Monday!

I am 24w5d with boy/girl twins, and my EDD is 5/28. 

It's getting difficult to move around, and these kids have nowhere to go but out (I'm under 5 feet tall..) so I feel pretty huge already. My next U/S is 2/20, I can't wait to see my little beans! I can really feel them kicking which is fun, and I'm pretty sure I can tell if it's my girl kicking or my boy based on position. 

Sleeping is getting harder now, I find I wake up constantly to turn over from side to side and to run to the bathroom, but whatever- I can deal! But yikes the hip pain is incredibly painful some times!

QOTW:
    I try to be good.. I'll have a reg tea once in a while (And savor the heck out of it since I swear I can taste the difference in decaf vs regular!) I had deli meat once early on and freaked out about possibly hurting my beans, so it's kept me from being my slacker self for the most part for the rest of the pregnancy!
    image image 
    Mom to the Lil Man and the Lil' Lady born at 33wks1day 
  • @2mamazinseattle -- can we just briefly discuss what a truly awesome person you are? You and J are going to be such amazing moms. You already are! Speaking as the sibling of someone with special needs (and I am not making a comparison, b/c my brother's situation was and is a totally different ball of wax), I can say without a doubt that early intervention makes all the difference in the world. Not only for the child, but for the parents and family too. Knowing and preparing is truly half the battle. I have no doubt that lil'mamaz (and can I also just say that I LOVE that you call her that -- love, love, love!) will have every opportunity and advantage possible. It also sounds like you have an amazing support system, which is another good bit of the battle when dealing with a differently abled child in my humble opinion. Your little lady is going to be a rock star. I just can't wait to hear more as this journey progresses for all of you... reading you "talk" about this little girl and the future just makes my heart melt.

On a muchhhhhh less important note, to address your question for me about yoga... I had seriously considered taking prenatal yoga, and I even asked a coworker of mine who is a yoga instructor on the side for recommendations. She recommended a local yoga studio and teacher, and when I researched it I found out that they recently closed the location by my office that I was going to try to go to. Then I looked for a yoga studio near my house, and I only found one that I was considering, but they only had classes on week nights and they were rather late. I don't want to be getting home at 10pm (I am an old lady - I know!). I was hoping to find some place that offered Saturday classes, but I haven't found anything. I will admit that I haven't looked around much recently and that life got away from me and I put this on the back burner. Now that I am more than 1/2 way there, I feel like I don't know if starting now would be worth it. I have considered trying to do DVDs at home, but not sure that will yield the same results.

• KH826 said:

@2mamazinseattle -- can we just briefly discuss what a truly awesome person you are? You and J are going to be such amazing moms. You already are! Speaking as the sibling of someone with special needs (and I am not making a comparison, b/c my brother's situation was and is a totally different ball of wax), I can say without a doubt that early intervention makes all the difference in the world. Not only for the child, but for the parents and family too. Knowing and preparing is truly half the battle. I have no doubt that lil'mamaz (and can I also just say that I LOVE that you call her that -- love, love, love!) will have every opportunity and advantage possible. It also sounds like you have an amazing support system, which is another good bit of the battle when dealing with a differently abled child in my humble opinion. Your little lady is going to be a rock star. I just can't wait to hear more as this journey progresses for all of you... reading you "talk" about this little girl and the future just makes my heart melt.

On a muchhhhhh less important note, to address your question for me about yoga... I had seriously considered taking prenatal yoga, and I even asked a coworker of mine who is a yoga instructor on the side for recommendations. She recommended a local yoga studio and teacher, and when I researched it I found out that they recently closed the location by my office that I was going to try to go to. Then I looked for a yoga studio near my house, and I only found one that I was considering, but they only had classes on week nights and they were rather late. I don't want to be getting home at 10pm (I am an old lady - I know!). I was hoping to find some place that offered Saturday classes, but I haven't found anything. I will admit that I haven't looked around much recently and that life got away from me and I put this on the back burner. Now that I am more than 1/2 way there, I feel like I don't know if starting now would be worth it. I have considered trying to do DVDs at home, but not sure that will yield the same results.

Thanks for your kind words!! :) We will do our best, but hopefully our best will be good for her!

On the yoga - I totally have to disagree that starting now is too late! My class just about every week has a newbie in the 20-25 week range and most do it up until labor. I think it really helps the body! I go to a saturday class primarily, and found some at 4 (which I can do sometimes) and 6 (which feels too late to me in the winter, but may be ok once it's lighter!). I do think ANY yoga is better than no yoga, so check out this DVD - is it really pretty easy, and why I chose it - someone posted "I'm fat and in horrible shape but I could do this one." And it's actually very doable but you feel like you've done something - it's $20 plus you'll definitely need a yoga mat so you don't slip and fall, so that can be another $10-$20. Totally worth the investment!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00109KNA2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also has a post-natal session too, which is a bonus for after baby! Anyhow PM me if you do want any help finding a good class in your area...I'm happy to do a little looking around. Even if you just go 1x a week I bet it would help, plus mine is all about poses you can do in labor, to help move the baby down, relieve pain, etc. which will be helpful when that time comes!

Just ideas! I hate hearing you're in pain this early from the sleeping stuff and want you to feel better :)

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• 18w1d -- a little sweet potato! EDD 7/13/14.

Things are going well here. I feel pretty good --starting to get some hip and side pain, but nothing major. I'm finally virus-free and my cough is gone. I was going to start prenatal yoga this week but had a date with a friend and a fried chicken sandwich that is only available once a month. I'm sure Mr. Baby understands. Next weekend, yoga or bust! As you know, I had my anatomy scan last week and all went well; from here on out my appointments are not too exciting for a while. Next one is the 26th but I think it's short and routine -- no ultrasound. I do have to ask her about booking my gestational diabetes test, since the testing window starts between my next appointment and the one after. I should be feeling movement sometime in the next 3-4 weeks, but I haven't yet. My placenta is anterior so it may be a while.

I am calling our potential daycare provider today to ask about putting down a deposit!!! Cross all your fingers and toes that she didn't give the spot away in the last 5 days. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on my daycare thread last week!

@2MamazinSeattle forwarded me an awesome Ted talk about what babies learn in utero -- it was fascinating and I will post the link later if she doesn't beat me to it. I am particularly interested in the fact that after 7 months, when their taste buds are fully developed, they can learn to recognize different tastes as the flavors of your food makes its way into the amniotic fluid. I have heard that eating a wide variety of food in your 3rd trimester can help prevent picky eaters later on, so I am going to do my best to keep it varied! My diet is already pretty eclectic but this just makes it more fun to think about.

QOTW: I call BS on everyone who counts caffeine as a pregnancy cheat! 200 mg or less DAILY is totally OB-approved. I drink caffeinated tea every day -- well under the limit since a cup of tea is only around 60-70 mg, but still. I definitely don't consider that a cheat. Anyway, I think I posted this last week but my main cheat is raw/undercooked eggs. I love runny fried or poached eggs and I love several desserts or sauces that are made with uncooked eggs. I don't eat any of this on a regular basis, but when it comes up I generally don't worry about it. Unlike toxoplasmosis (what you could get from kitty poo) or listeria (lunchmeat), salmonella is not necessarily a huge risk to your baby. And the risk of eggs actually having salmonella is low (outbreaks in the last few years have come from cucumbers, tahini, mangoes, cantaloupe, pine nuts and papayas, none of which pregnant women are told not to eat, as well as raw chicken -- which no one in their right mind eats -- turtles, dog food, hedgehogs, and African dwarf frogs. I am not making this stuff up -- it's from the CDC). I also can't bear to eat beef medium well or well done, so generally I just don't order steak or burgers much, but when I do I order them medium. Normally I would order them medium rare but I feel guilty about that, even though there's not a huge difference. I do try to stick to restaurants where I know the meat will be high-quality and handled properly. I haven't been eating lunchmeat, which is generally OK since I don't eat a ton of it regularly anyway, but an Italian sub sounds amazing right now! And I don't eat raw stuff -- oysters, sushi, tartare, carpaccio, etc -- while pregnant.

I am pretty strictly a back sleeper so I've been worrying about it. I specifically asked my OB last week and she said it doesn't really matter until 20w, so @KLeigh1 you have nothing to worry about at this point. She told me that it would likely start getting uncomfortable to lie flat on my back, but that I should try not to do it regardless after 20w. I've been trying to train myself to sleep on my side but I'm just so much more comfortable on my back at this point. I'm thinking a pregnancy pillow might help me be more comfortable on my side and keep me from rolling over as easily.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 28 weeks & 6 days today.  EDD 4/29/14.  I feel like I'm closing the gap to meeting our little guy.

I've been getting sharp headaches (on the side of my head) that usually only last a few seconds/minutes.  The other day I had a cup of caffeinated tea and that seemed to help until it popped up again.  Other than that little Owen has gotten strong. His kicks (I actually picture him stretching his feet far out into my lower belly) hurt a little. I change position and that helps.  He also likes kicking Kaden when he crawls onto my lap.  

We've been sort of coasting along this pregnancy without the frenzy of preparation that went into Kaden's arrival. I've been realizing that I'm not quite prepared.  I also feel like I want to honor Owen's uniqueness by having a few things in our nursery/ baby collection that are just for him and not rely solely on hand-me-downs.

Our next (and first official) midwife appointment is this Wednesday evening, both midwives are coming to our house.  We were originally scheduled for last week but R caught the flu. 

Other than heartburn, headaches and some restlessness sleeping I'm feeling really good. I'll take it for now (in case it changes ;-)

QOTD:  Disclaimer - I was really good for the 1st Trimester....  I have definitely been far more lenient with this pregnancy.  I eat deli meat (yummmm), including a sub sandwich or two.  I've also had sushi (from a reputable source) a few times. I love brie and other soft cheeses - totally not on my radar. They're probably pasteurized but to be honest I wasn't checking...  I don't drink caffeine that often and never more than 200mg - but I've had it on occasion when exhaustion or just plain desire stepped in. I still use healthy (paraben-free, etc.) beauty products, except the occasional use of a conventional mousse. But I've definitely been less "worried" this time around.
    I do find myself sleeping on my back sometimes and turn over. I feel like I have little control since my sleeping self just takes over. 

• 18 weeks 3 days July 11th EDD. 

Not much new to report here. DW's dad and brother got lost and stuck in the mountains snowmobiling last week. They made it out okay, after spending the night without shelter, about 16 below. I'm ready for the rest of this pregnancy to be stress free (compared to the first 18 weeks). 

Sleep is still rough, but last night wasn't too bad. My midwife recommended a chiro if my back keeps hurting. My friend bailed on me for yoga yesterday so I just did a workout with DW instead. From now on I'll just have to go by myself if she doesn't want to go. It seems to really help physically and emotionally. My midwife also really stressed  how much it would help with the birth so I need to make it a priority. 

I'm beyond excited to go to Little Rock this weekend and see all of our friends, plus the weather is looking good. We'll have our anatomy scan on the 20th and I can't wait!

QOTW:Well let's see, I'm kind of a rule breaker, or not rule follower to begin with so I don't care much for rules, unless they have a valid enough reason/risk to me. I jumped on trampolines when I was barely pregnant. I sleep on my back, although it really is quite uncomfortable now. I also wake up on my stomach a lot. I drink coffee occasionally. I've had a couple of sandwiches with meat, but it was the fresh hand carved style so I think I'm okay there. I have eggs with uncooked yolks every weekend. I've had a few sips of wine/beer. Nothing big in my opinion. 

• AmandaG47AmandaG47 member
    edited February 2014
    Hello everyone!
    It's been quite awhile since I last checked in. We are 36w4d with our twin girls. The average delivery for twins is about 35.5 weeks and although I know I should want them to stay in as long as possible, the anticipation is driving me insane! We just got an induction date scheduled for 38w2d so there is an end in sight but we are so ready now. My poor poor wife is SO uncomfortable and just started to get an intensely itchy rash over her belly that wakes her up at night (she has already had a physically rough pregnancy with SPD). It's hard to see her in so much pain :( I also have an interview about 5 hours away on the 28th so if they wait to come until the 22nd they will only be a week old!

My mother in law just flew in yesterday and is staying with us for about 6 weeks. This is great in some ways as we get along very well and she is already helping around the house but is hard for me in other ways. I have to go back to work ASAP after the girls are born and I'm really struggling with that. I have fears I'm going to be really jealous and not know the details of my own babies lives and having someone besides my wife there for them is really hard for me. Also, I'm very introverted an need find it exhausting to always be around others. But even with all that, I think it's a good thing she is here and will help me relax if J needs a c section and needs extra help early on when I have to go back to work.

Sorry for the long post and worries! I have quite a bit on my mind but I really am so happy and excited to be expecting me girls in the next couple weeks :)
    My name is A, I am wife to J.  After 7 months of ttc and one MC, we are expecting two baby girls in 2014!

• 2MamazInSeattle, you and J are already awesome parents.  I love the comparison to your sister and how your sister took that as a way to bond.  That is really awesome.

Update on me: I will be 11 weeks tomorrow.  I am still exhausted, though its getting worse and not better these days.  We were hoping to get one placement at a time, and we got two little girls (as explained in previous post)  So insta family!!!  lol.  They are wonderful and I love them already.  But I get more and more tired each day.  Good news, my boobs don't hurt as bad.  I have had minor cramps and I think my uterus is growing.  My lower belly has gotten a little hard, which I obviously know will happen but its totally strange.  I have managed to lose 5 lbs.  I haven't been to nauseous, and eating pretty regularly, but I guess my metabolism is working overtime.  I am over weight, so I am not concerned about losing weight in the slightest.

QOTD: I would totally drink my one cup of coffee everyday if it didn't make me want to vomit.  I am hoping that goes away soon because I really want to enjoy my coffee again.  I did eat a lunch meat sandwich once a couple of weeks ago.  I think that has been my only cheat.  I have been craving hot dogs, polish sausage and bacon.  My wife and I compromised and we got bacon this weekend, it was amazing!!!
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• yacheeyachee member
    edited February 2014
    35w3d  -  EDD 2/21/14 (37 weeks)

Our doc told us last Friday that there's an 80% chance they won't show up on their own within the next two weeks. Sigh. @AmandaG47 - I feel the same way as you. I know it's better for them to stay in there, but I'm soooo ready to meet them!  And I just want my poor, miserable wife to feel better already. Her hands have swollen up and ache all the time (doc doesn't seem to think it's pre-e), and she can't sleep at all. @Pinkspark - sorry to tell you, the hip pain just keeps gettting worse. =\  I wish there was something I could do to make it better. :(

My amazing wife has been very good at following the rules. She may have cheated once or twice with a Subway, but she usually eats veggie sandwiches, so I don't think that counts. Oh, and she ate this amazing brie with craisins at Christmas dinner. :)

Me: 31, Wife: 32 (met when we were 15)
    Married to my beautiful wife/baby mama on 07/07/07
    My brother is our KD
    5/2012: 5 cycles of at-home tries - BFN
    1/2013: 4 medicated IUIs - BFN
    6/2013: 1 IVF - BFP w/twin girls! Born 2/27/14!

• Ugh...sorry for posting so late, but have had some serious trouble with this nausea.  It sucks! We are 7 weeks tomorrow.  EDD is Oct 2nd now and I'm sure it will end up being in September, as most multiple pregnancies do not make it to their due date.  They are the size of sweet peas right now!! I still can't quite wrap my head around it

QOTW:  what pregnancy "rules" have you broken or do you plan to break? So I broke the whole "don't tell anyone until 2nd trimester--not any way I could've abided by this.  Umm...I had a hot dog the other day. I didn't even check to see the temp! I felt so bad afterward. Another thing I have done, which I don't think is a rule-but my Re's request, is I have taken benadryl quite a few times. My allergies are killing me!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"