High-Risk Pregnancy

Thyroid Conditions

Does anyone out there have a thyroid condition and taking medicine during pregnancy? I'm nervous about the risks

Re: Thyroid Conditions

• I have hypothyroidism and have been taking Synthroid throughout this pregnancy with no problems. I definitely think the benefits outweigh the risks in this case. Have you discussed your concerns with your endocrinologist?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My hypo was diagnosed just before getting pregnant. I've been on levothyroxine all pregnancy with no problems related to that. (My dose hasn't needed to be changed, even).

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Loading the player...
  • I have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed as a child. I took generic synthroid through my first pregnancy and will be taking it through this one. It's not something you can stop taking.
  • Also on levothyroxine (synthroid generic). My endo raised my dosage a bit and we are all set.

Its very important to the developing baby's health to have a good number for your thyroid so these meds are very important to take during pregnancy. It is one of the regular checks in bloodwork that is drawn during pregnancy, even if you don't have a preexisting condition.
    imageimage
  • i have had a hypo for 12 ish years. i have never  heard of their being risks with synthroid only risks when you dont take it and your thyroid isnt regulated

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• The risk would be NOT taking medication.  Risk is the wrong word, it implies things might be okay if you don't take the meds and they most certainly will not.  This isn't something you can opt out of and deliver a healthy baby.  I take synthroid and haven't ever experienced a side effect (in 15 years on the medicine).  
  • I do and have been on levothyroxine for a few years now. My first pg triggered hashimoto's disease. They should check it regularly, as pp have stated. Mine needs to be checked - I'm so tired lately! Good luck!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I am hypo so I take synthroid. The risks of not taking your medication and your thyroid hormone being too high or low could result in a pregnancy loss or severe abnormalities of the baby.
    If you see your endocrinologist regularly and take your medication as prescribed there is nothing to worry about.

Your levels tend to fluctuate during pregnancy so you need closer monitoring. My endo has me do blood work every 4 weeks to check and she adjusts the dose as needed. So far it's been increased 3 times but seems to have stabilized now.
  • I was diagnosed hypo/Hashimoto's a few months before I got pregnant. I've been on Synthroid ever since and everything is going well..

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am not currently pregnant (Trying) but I'm on synthroid.  When discussing pregnancy, my endo told me that as soon as I get a positive test to call her - she said that she'll have me double up on pills twice that week.  She joked and said "don't even tell your husband first - CALL ME!"  Haha. 

Anyone else heard of this?

• Your dose may have to change, and usually in early pregnancy-but it depends on how your body reacts to the pregnancy. My dose has not been increased at all during my pregnancy, and I'll be 32 weeks tomorrow.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• I've had hypothyroidism for over 10 years now and have been on Synthroid the whole time. Levels have been great during pregnancy. They check my TSH once a month.

Happily married since 5/3/08

My lil man, Ryan born 2/12/14

• I am not currently pregnant (Trying) but I'm on synthroid.  When discussing pregnancy, my endo told me that as soon as I get a positive test to call her - she said that she'll have me double up on pills twice that week.  She joked and said "don't even tell your husband first - CALL ME!"  Haha. 

Anyone else heard of this?
    My endo (thyroid and T2 Diabetes) bumped up my meds right away. I went from taking 50mcg to 75mcg. He said he needed to be the 4th person I called, "Tell your husband, call your parents, then your OB, then me. But don't wait more than a few days!"
    imageimage
  • edited January 2014
    I am hypo and I also have Hashimoto disease. I was born with my thyroid disease but took forever to find out about it. I use to be hyper and hypo and was put on levothyroxine at the age of 12. My Ob said being on levothyroxine is fine and they  really just  to check my levels more then normal.  

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes Mine told me the same thing but because my Ob works closely with my thyroid doctor it went smoothly. They just check my levels more and if i feel like my levels are off then i have to call right away. 

Anniversary

• My endro said same thing to call immediately. ...I did inform hubby snd parents though. ...I am 9 weeks and still on same dosage but getting regular blood workdone to keep controlled as he stressed the importance of monitoring to avoid complications/health issues as this is very critical to baby's health.
  • i have graves (hyper) and they monitor regularly in case meds/changes are needed. but levels have been good since my first preg & miscarriage (had 2 but unrelated to thyroid issue) and now normal for this pregnancy (now at 20 wks). just stick with your endocrinologist's strict testing sched so they can keep on top of things and make any needed adjustments in treatment and you should be fine.
  • Britt&Max2010Britt&Max2010 member
    edited February 2014
    I am on Synthroid and was told by my endocrinologist and perinatologist that it is one of the safest medications you can take.  It is similar to a multi-vitamin in that it poses no risks.  I was told I could take it for the next 60 years with no worries!  Stay up on your tests and make sure your levels are in line, that is the real risk!
    Married 9.10.10
    Ovarian Cancer diagnosed 12.13.11 @ 17W w/DD #1
    Preeclampsia and Placental Abruption @ 30w6ds w/DD #1 born 3.19.12
    Successful VBAC with DD #2 born 8.6.14
    Expecting #3 10.14.17
  • I have Hashimoto's as well and am currently hypo. I've had hypothyroidism for over a decade.

It's a personal decision, but here's my opinion:

1) Leaving hypothyroidism untreated can cause major long-term consequences, which you may do your own research on (my doctor says that the period that I opted to not take meds could have exacerbated Hashimoto's).

2) Maternal thyroid function has a lot do to with fetal brain development.

3) Read this: https://www.thyroid.org/thyroid-disease-and-pregnancy/

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• I have Hypothyroidism. The benefits seriously outweigh any risks. I get my levels checked every 6 weeks and adjust the medication accordingly.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"