Multiples
Options

Did your twins need preemie clothes?

zazu13zazu13 member
edited January 2014 in Multiples
I want to buy my girls a cute "coming home" /newborn photos outfit. I'm wondering if I should go preemie size. They were 45th and 55th percentile for weight at 28 weeks so I think they will be average size. Dr thinks I will make it to at least 34-35 weeks but max 38. Did your twins wear premie in the beginning?

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

Re: Did your twins need preemie clothes?

• Options
    They wore preemie in the nicu (born at 4 lbs and 3 lbs 6 oz) but by the time they were discharged and ready for take-home outfits, they were in nb size.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Options
    I didn't buy any until I had pprom at 26 weeks and knew they were coming early!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    They wore preemie for 2weeks about, but would have been okay in NB too.

The came home from the NICU at 35w6d GA (had them at 34w + 13day stay) at a few oz over their birthweights of 5lbs and 5lbs 8oz

• Options
    Mine were born at 33 w. By the time they came home from the nicu, 35 weeks, they were in NB size.
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Options
    I bought preemie for them to come home in.  They were born full term at 6lbs 13 oz and 6lbs 9 oz.  They wore them to come home and then never wore preemie again.  It was pants and a onesie so it didnt matter that it was a tad bit too short. If I were you and you had the resources, abd you love the outfit, buy it in preemie and NB.  You can either return or resell the one you dont use.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Options
    Mine were in preemie size for like 3 weeks. They were born at 37w4d weighing 6#2 and 5#3. I bought all their preemie clothes on consignment in case they didn't need them.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine were 6.5 lbs each so newborn worked for us. We had a few premie onesies just in case - those did fit for a few weeks too. Our hospital sells premie clothes so that was our back up plan.

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SV917SV917 member
    edited January 2014
    My daughter was closer to micro-preemie size at birth but was a preemie size by the time she went home. It was big, but I put her in a newborn outfit to come home. My son might have been able to wear some preemie clothes for a week or so, but he was over 2.5 pounds bigger than his sister and just wore newborn. I had 3 going home outfits packed - one preemie (the only preemie clothes I owned at the time) and 2 newborn for different weather scenarios. Chances are if they are preemie, they'll be in the hospital and you'll have time to buy clothes. Or you can buy them but keep the tags and receipts to return them if they aren't needed. Side note, my daughter was estimated at 4 pounds, 4 ounces at my last ultrasound, which was a month before they were born, but weighed 3 pounds, 3 ounces at birth.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS1 born at 37w5d weighed 7lb 10z and was 21"
    Twins born at 38w
    A weighed 6lb and was 19.5"
    B weighted 5lb 5oz and was 18".

DS1 wore preemie for 2w and NB for 4w.
    Twins wore preemie for 4w and NB for 4w

I will say the Walmart brand (Child of Mine) preemie were REALLY preemie, they were way too short for both of my twins.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    My guys were born at 37w 2d and they were already pretty much too tall for the preemie stuff. Plenty thin enough (5lbs 15oz and 5lbs 8oz), but they were tall.
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    My girls were born at 32 weeks at 4.01lbs and 4.03 lbs they are in preemie size now but by the time they come home they'll be in Nb size. They are pretty long. My advice would be to focus on preemie onesies and t shirts.  Anything footed or one piece I'd go for a NB size.
  • Options
    All my boys were in the 6lb range and all wore preemie clothes. I like how they fit them. The only word of caution is to find preemie clothes that are not close footed because sometimes they are too short for most babies. But otherwise they fit so well. My oldest DS wore preemie clothes for a few months. DS2 and DS3 wore them for about a week.  I love the fit. Alot of newborn stuff and especially 0-3 stuff is swimming in them and I just don't like how it looks.  So yeah, I am definitely investing in some preemie stuff for these babes.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options

I was two hours shy of hitting 38 weeks.  My girls were 6lbs, 18.5in and 5llbs 2oz, 17in.  We did not use preemie clothes or diapers.  Newborn clothes were slightly big on them, especially Baby B, but preemie may have run too small for her.

I did wind up buying a few preemie socks, in an effort to find ones that would stay on.  It didn't work.  :P
    I hear you on the socks. I still actively avoid sleepers that require socks because they were such a PITA to keep on tiny preemie feet, plus we had to keep them so bundled up until they could regulate their body temps and the damn things would never stay on to keep their feet warm.

Also - one other tip, if you are getting preemie clothes and there's a chance of a nicu stay, get sleepers with snaps rather than zippers so you can use them with all of the wires they will have.

• Options
    Mine wore preemies for about 3 weeks after delivery. Their picture/coming home outfit was newborn size and it was way too big. I delivered at 37w1d and they weighed 6-1 and 4-12.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and stories! I found an outfit on Etsy that I loved so I got it and the only size option was NB. I will use it for pictures anyway and it comes with a headband that should work even if the outfit is too big. I'll invest in a store bought preemie outfit as a backup and keep the tags on. I do have a few hand me down onesies & sleepers in case they are in that size at home for a bit. I just want something new that I picked out for their first outfit ;)

**new RE**

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    MrsCali_BrideMrsCali_Bride member
    edited January 2014
    My twins were born at 37w2d (A was 7lbs 12 oz and 20.5", B was 6lbs 5 oz and 19.5") and did not need preemie clothes. They wore outfits from Gymboree in the 'Up To 7lbs' size, which is their version of newborn. We did have two sleepers for each in the preemie size (one set was a gift and the other we bought at Carter's) but we never needed them and ended up giving them away.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Options
    AshB62 said:
    Thanks for the suggestions and stories! I found an outfit on Etsy that I loved so I got it and the only size option was NB. I will use it for pictures anyway and it comes with a headband that should work even if the outfit is too big. I'll invest in a store bought preemie outfit as a backup and keep the tags on. I do have a few hand me down onesies & sleepers in case they are in that size at home for a bit. I just want something new that I picked out for their first outfit ;)
    We need a pip ;)

Of course! Will put a onesie / leggings with it depending on temperature that day :)

**new RE**

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    Mine were born just shy of 33 weeks and were 4 lbs 3 and 3 lbs 5. The bigger wore preemie for a week or so after coming home, the little guy for probably a month. They both wore preemie pants for longer. Some of the preemie sleepers are proportioned strangely, with really short legs so I'd look at them carefully. We did go get some fuzzy fleece sleepers because you need to keep preemies warm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine wore preemie for quite a while but mine were pretty small (2lbs9oz 14.5" and 3lbs7oz 15.5") at 34+4. They stayed in the SCN for 4 weeks and were in preemie clothes the entire time. They wore preemie clothes at home for a few more weeks but then they outgrew the length. I find they always outgrow the length way before they outgrow the width.

• Options
    We used preemie clothes and diapers the first 2-3 weeks. They could have worn nb just would have been big. They were both 4 lbs when we left the hospital.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine were born at 33w4d.  They wore Preemie sizes in the NICU and until they were about 6 weeks.  They went home in NB sized outfits (at what would have been 37 weeks), and they were huge on them.  But they were cute so I just went with it. 
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • Options
    zazu13 said:

AshB62 said:

zazu13 said:

We need a pip ;)

Of course! Will put a onesie / leggings with it depending on temperature that day :)

So cute!
  • Options
    Mine were born at 34 weeks and my smaller twin was in preemie for 11 weeks my bigger twin was in them for 9 1/2 weeks. NB is still big on my smaller twin at 12 weeks they are 7 1/2 and 9 pounds.

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • Options
    They wore preemie stuff in the NICU, but came home in newborn stuff (though they were still pretty big on them). They came home just over 5 lbs. each.

• Options
    Mine were born at 6-1 and 6-11. They were swimming in their newborn clothes, but the premie would have been too tight on the bigger one 
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mine wore preemie mostly in the NICU and they mainly wore footed sleepers with snaps, not zippers...they were born at 32weeks, 5 days and weighed 4'7" amd 4'9"...they did wear preemie just a little bit when they came home what would have been 1 day shy of 36 weeks, but only for like a week. People overbought and we had TONS of preemie stuff we never used. My thought would be to get a few things but leave tags on and keep receipts until you really know.

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    My twin boys were born at 34w4d (5 lb 12 oz and 5 lb 1 oz) and they wore premie clothes for a good month. They were able to get away with wearing some newborn outfits, but premie outfits fit them the best. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
  • Options
    Mine were 4.13 and 6.2 and born at 36w3d. They both wore preemie for about a month and my smaller girl was closer to 2 months when she switched to NB. They were both in NB for several months.
    J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Options
    Mine were too long for preemie clothing so they just wore newborn. They were loose on them but they still fit. I think length has more to do with whether they wear preemie clothing than weight. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"